View Single Post
Old 09-25-2021, 04:47 AM   #7
Kallatari

Default Re: Technical Grappling - Stuck in the Middle of a Tug-Of-War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
What if we just made a low-damage "wrench limb" some kind of mandatory unavoidable component of all grappling maneuvers: you can try to lessen the damage by taking penalties but otherwise there's an inherent risk of injury to dragging people around.
That's my thought as well. There should be damage unless you're intentionally doing something to not do damage your target, perhaps at a skill penalty or the sacrifice of control points. I'm just not sure how to model it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I get that high skill can be used to maximize injury and force of a fall (ie accelerate them down with your weight, don't just let them fall purely from gravity) but I'd def like to assume basic fall mechanics (even if it's just a 1-yard fall) including damage from judo throws, and add this on top of it (Suplex City!)

Conversely, some kind of "sacrificial breakfall" or "sacrificial roll with blow" might be used to do a "I'm flipping you onto the ground but somehow not damaging you" think.
I have implemented the automatic judo throw gives falling damage in my games, and the subject needs to make his own Breakfall roll to lessen that damage. I ruled it as being a fall equal to half the "current height" (i.e., take into account kneeling, etc.) of the thrower, or half the height of the victim, whichever is greater. That requires a lot of ballparking the height, but that's fine. For the typical standing humans, I use 1-m (or 1 yard) as the default, even thought it's technically slightly more than half their height.

I never contemplated a way for the thrower to "hold back" and prevent a full fall, but I think I would make it as a penalty to skill as well. And maybe have a required follow-up action: e.g., your still holding onto your foe to prevent him from hitting the ground, therefore you must kneel down to still be able to reach him, and if you want to let go you need to do it next turn.
Kallatari is online now   Reply With Quote