View Single Post
Old 09-01-2021, 03:25 PM   #5
GURPS Fox

Default Re: Guns! Guns! Guns! and GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It'll be more complicated anyway. That'swhy I looked at GGG very briefly many years ago and set it aside. What youi want can probably be done in Ve2 though.

To get 13.5 D out of 9mm you'll need Electrotthermal and a barrel that's 720 mm long so that's not much of a "pistol" even for an SM+1 cyborg. Empty weight is 1215 lbs and Recoil is -4 and MinSt is 43.

I'd design another way to get around your armor. GGG might not understand the effectiveness of HEAT warheads.
Conventional guns in my setting are all electrothermal chemical guns outside of the odd BilPro gun. Using stuff like HEDP/HEAT isn't exactly going to work due to armor's effectiveness against AP (which is similar to how a metal foam composite did better against a 0.50cal AP round than a 0.50cal ball round). In gameplay terms, the armor is an ablative laminate with a 1+ hardening (or, in gameplay terms, all armor divisors are halved, rounded to the nearest whole number, i.e. (2)s become standard, (3)s become (2)s, and (5)s become (3)s).

The thing with V2e is that ETC weapons aren't much improvement to conventional rounds, something that goes against how my setting's weapon development went (to give an example, there were a few decades where anyone who was anyone had to turn their AMRs/HMGs into assault rifles because that's the only way to penetrate the armor in any reasonable time period). That and it gets really bad with EM guns where they take a complete backseat to DEWs (even with the 5x space range rule, EM guns simply suck when compared to DEWs and my setting has spaceship EM guns work as a short-range, cheap (in terms of energy and cost), but very effective backup to DEWs) in general.

It should also be noted that the pistol is achieving this with an 18cm barrel (the original markup using V2e rules had a very short barrel, and I reasonably assumed that this meant a barrel caliber of less than 30, so I picked 20)...
GURPS Fox is offline   Reply With Quote