View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
Varyon

Default Re: Hazards: Cold. Of wind double-dipping, clothes into water single-dipping et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
It seems somewhat smoother than the current mechanic.
Smoother, yes, but less consistent with other mechanics. GURPS is typically a system where equipment (or lack thereof), traits, and situations either give a bonus/penalty or make a percentage-based modifier to a situation. A Feature-style shift of "comfort zone" isn't anything like one of those, although it makes a great deal of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Though I think that in an ideal world, at whatever temperature HT checks for FP loss begin, they should begin at HT+6 and go down from there with temperature. Otherwise there's too huge a jump for HT10 normal-fitness characters unless they're wearing arctic clothing at 35°F / 0ish °C.
I agree (well, mostly; I'd probably be more inclined to go with something like "effective HT 18+ means no roll needed, anything lower needs one," or maybe a system that converts from a die roll to a consistent loss of FP based on HT). I think the reason why they didn't bother starting at, say, HT+6 is because making nuisance rolls can be annoying, even if it adds a bit more realism to the system.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote