View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
Varyon

Default Re: Hazards: Cold. Of wind double-dipping, clothes into water single-dipping et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Fast wind forces HT checks to occur every 15 or 10 minutes instead of every 30. However, fast winds also reduce the effective temperature, which adds penalties to the HT roll.
Yeah, this really stinks of double-dipping. Windchill could be represented by more frequent HT checks (as it's leeching heat from your body more rapidly) or a reduction in effective temperature. I don't think it should be both.

Quote:
Cold checks start at 35°F and below. Winter clothes provide +0 to those checks, no or light clothes provide -5 to them. What's the point of 'normal' clothing as far as staying warm goes? It doesn't seem to serve any niche game-mechanically.
More realistically, cold checks probably start higher than at just-above-freezing, and normal/light clothing would add to HT rolls there. I think GURPS has opted to just ignore this for simplicity's sake.

Quote:
Wet clothing gives an additional -5 to HT checks to resist cold, which is as bad as no clothing [...] is it really better to strip naked after climbing onto the shore from under the ice?
Evaporation of water is one of the most effective methods available for getting rid of heat, and water itself can absorb heat rather effectively. The body has a variety of ways to keep itself from losing heat too quickly even in rather cold temperatures, but those don't work so well when there's a layer of water on top of the body, leeching precious heat away. I'd argue that soaked-through clothing, regardless of its thickness, should be treated as normal wet clothing, for a total of -10. You need to get that winter/arctic clothing off immediately to get things to "only" -5, then you'll need to find a way to dry them out so you can put them back on to bring yourself back up to +0 or +5.

I'll have to think a bit about frostbite and get back to you on it. I will say that "exposed" isn't necessary, but is typically the case (and note that "wet clothing on it" is functionally "exposed"), and frostbite damage should typically start with the digits, then go to extremities followed by limbs.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote