Thread: Stellar Mapping
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #20
Phantasm

Default Re: Stellar Mapping

Habitability aside, I've been working on a chart to help determine distance in lightyears from Star A to Star B. For this chart, I've been using the Galactic Coordinate system, with data pulled from stellar-database.com, with all numbers rounded to two decimal places.

For the chart itself, I limited it to M2 or warmer stars (Proxima being a notable exception for plot reasons), all within 20 lightyears of one the following stars: Sol, Alpha Centauri, Sirius, Epsilon Eridani, 61 Cygni, and Epsilon Indi. In my setting, I've recently made a change which puts Sirius (by interstellar treaty) as the center of the core worlds; Sol, 61 Cygni A, and Epsilon Indi are the home systems of the three major spacefaring species in the core worlds. Alpha Centauri A is home to one of the lesser species, and Epsilon Eridani is an independent human colony that has maneuvered itself into the position of being the capital of human colonists that don't want to answer to Earth.

The chart itself was done in OpenOffice Calc, and isn't complete; I'm half-thinking of making a searchable function which would let you pick two stars and have it spit out a distance between them.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote