View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 08:13 AM   #8
InexplicableVic

Default Re: Playing GURPS with the help of FoundryVTT

Following up on the above, I don't quite have the time to write a comparison between the three systems, but what I can say is about the GURPS Game Aid on Foundry VTT (in a non-exhaustive list) is:
  • The importing from either GCA or GCS is pretty great and not very difficult at all. It's got a great character sheet as a result. FGU is good, and Roll20's is serviceable, but this is great.
  • The "mook generator" is a good way to quickly get monster or NPC stats into the game very easily.
  • If you keep track of damage in the program itself as opposed to on paper, MAN, this is good--pretty easy drag and drop onto the PC/NPC/Monster receiving the damage, a click or two, and it applies the damage, less DR, multipliers for location and damage type, etc. Really, really great.
  • The status effects are just great and incredibly useful.
  • The resolution of skill checks, and the modifier bucket, is pretty amazing. I can't quite think of anything comparable in Roll20, and while there are similarities, if I recall correctly, to how FGU does it, in my opinion, this is implemented better.
  • The support is really great--I asked a question about whether or not we could have a formula to have Acrobatic Dodge be a single button push using an if/then scenario, and these guys wrote it up and it now works great. That's just one example--there are definitely others.
This is not to say that Roll20 or FGU aren't good--they serve a purpose and are fine. But insofar as GURPS is concerned, I think that the GURPS Game Aid is the best implementation for Virtual Table Tops. I think you can run GURPS on Foundry with just the Game Aid, but there are a few modules that I would say are "essential" (Mook has a lot of them on his blog) and make it really easy and enjoyable to run a game. There is a slight learning curve on transitioning from Rolll20 to Foundry, but there's so many videos on YouTube, it's not that hard. Once you know how, it's great.

There's a whole post that could be written about the price comparisons of the various VTTs, issues with hosted locally or on a server, etc., but Foundry's various modules + GURPS Game Aid means that the group where I am the GM, having used all three of the above VTTs, is happily staying with Foundry. I can't thank the developers of the GURPS Game Aid enough--it made so many things so much better with VTTs. And I really think that when it comes to newcomers and introducing folks to GURPS, this will likely make things so much easier.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote