View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 02:05 AM   #13
RedMattis

Default Re: Mage Specialization [Fantasy]

You must have very different sessions than me. Mr healer-cook would be considered combat dead-weight. He doesn't contribute in actual fights which not only makes injuries (including lasting crippling ones) more likely, but more importantly makes it dramatically more likely that the group just gets outright defeated. We really don't need to heal 32 HP in one day particularly often. If everyone got that injured it like likely they just lost a fight and are now sitting in prison or a lizardman's cooking pot.

Don't get me wrong, healing is great, but it isn't good for a one-trick. Adventuring situations tend to either be combat, stealth/recon, or social. Healing doesn't help with solving any of those problems, it just helps deal with issues caused by screwing up in combat a bit. At best you might be able to heal injured NPC soldiers during wartime to better make friends, but that just makes you wonder why your character doesn't just stay in hospital and leave the adventuring to adventurers.

I really don't see what use a "Cooking-20" character is in an adventuring situation. Sure, he can make sure the party doesn't get food-poisoning from the deer they shot, but no doubt the huntsman too knows how to safely butcher and cook game. Expertly seasoned food is a luxury that can probably wait until the party is back in the city.