View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #23
Skarg

Default Re: Return of the MNSH (Murderous Ninja Sniper Halfling)

I think throwing 12 at once is not wrong as a possible thing, if you mean a handful of little sharp metal things. But what is definitely wrong is the effect! It's wrong to give each of 12 little sharp things 1d-2 (only one less point damage than a single thrown dagger), as is adding +1 or +2 to that for any reason, as is the general problem of dumping points and other additions onto DX to overpower the DX penalty for doing so.

A 1-point final injury cap per hit for sha-ken barrages mostly fixes that weapon's abuse as a super-powerful weapon. It also helps to not allow them to ready 12 per turn, and to decide that since Thrown Weapons is a pre-req, it does not add another +2 to adjDX with sha-ken.

The larger issue I see though is with the ability to pile up enormous adjDX relatively easily. You were slightly mistaken in that starting Halflings are 30 points not 32 points, but the RAW XP cost for attributes implies Halflings get to buy their first FOUR (not two) extra attributes for only 100 XP, so they'll soon catch up (IF they somehow manage not to die with ST 4 - another part of the problem is being able to play safely to raise XP, and then apply that XP towards munchkin combat skills).

I think that points to a general problem with the XP costs for attributes being based on humans but applied to other races, as well as a broader issue with basing those XP costs on total points, encouraging stat dumping to get very high other stats. But that's a much broader issue.

Meanwhile, here's a 35-point MNSH killer:
ST 12
DX 14 (11)(14 crossbow)
IQ 9
MA 10(6)
light crossbow 2d
chainmail - stops 4 (incl. +1 from toughness) -3DX
war ax 2d
Crossbow, Missile-Weapons III, Quick-Draw: Crossbow, Ax/Mace, Toughness
Geas: Immediately shoot to kill halflings on sight.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote