Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Weapon master (Bow) cost reduction, and suggestions on Weapon Master (Ranger/Archer) (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=174068)

Christopher R. Rice 07-14-2021 07:30 PM

Re: Weapon master (Bow) cost reduction, and suggestions on Weapon Master (Ranger/Arch

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boge (Post 2388354)
I kinda love these ideas! Thanks guys, and keep 'em coming if you have them.

I'm still not quite understanding. Can you give me some comparison examples, say someone with Broadsword skill at 16 (DX+3) vs Bow at 18 (DX+5)? And how would it change with higher or lower skills? Sorry...I'm feeling stupid right now.

Most of the time our players have higher than skill+2, so does it continue to get higher with skill or does it cap at a certain point? What damage would my ST 13 Broadsword skill 22 be doing with Weapon Master Broadsword?

It doesn't change at levels higher than DX+2. It's literally like this: DX+1 gives you +1/die of damage when using a weapon your Weapon Master covers. If it's at DX+2 or higher you get +2/die of damage with the weapon. That's it.

With my change instead of a bonus per die, it gives a flat bonus to damage. +2 at DX+1 or +4 at DX+2 or greater. That's it. :-)

Farmer 07-14-2021 08:17 PM

Re: Weapon master (Bow) cost reduction, and suggestions on Weapon Master (Ranger/Arch

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Brackin (Post 2388356)
Also take the Foot Archery Style from Martial Arts. That allows 3 levels of Arm ST with special exercises. This can turn a guy with 14 ST for a abse into a user of a 19 ST bow. That gives him 2d-1 Thrusting which helps out the WM issue.

Good point. Also worth nothing that it's impaling damage, so good modifiers there, particularly if you target vitals.

Emerikol 07-15-2021 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice (Post 2388357)
It doesn't change at levels higher than DX+2. It's literally like this: DX+1 gives you +1/die of damage when using a weapon your Weapon Master covers. If it's at DX+2 or higher you get +2/die of damage with the weapon. That's it.

With my change instead of a bonus per die, it gives a flat bonus to damage. +2 at DX+1 or +4 at DX+2 or greater. That's it. :-)

Somewhere I've seen this approached used in a different context so it is very much in keeping with the GURPS approach. Would you make it a rule everyone has to take or would it be the better of the two options?

Anders 07-15-2021 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice (Post 2388336)
In my wuxia campaign I turned the bonus per die into a flat bonus and that worked out GREAT. Each +1/die = +2

Did you do the same with Brawling, Boxing and Karate?

Rupert 07-15-2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emerikol (Post 2388415)
Somewhere I've seen this approached used in a different context so it is very much in keeping with the GURPS approach. Would you make it a rule everyone has to take or would it be the better of the two options?

Martial Arts does this in reverse, with things like All-out Attack (Strong's) +2 damage being translated into "+2 or +1/die, which ever is better", and +1 damage being also +1 per 2 dice.

Christopher R. Rice 07-15-2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emerikol (Post 2388415)

It's a standard GURPSism. But yes. You could rule it works everywhere. I did. It wasn't a real issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 2388425)

Yes.

The Benj 07-15-2021 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 2388425)

I wouldn't for the regular skill, but as a feature of Trained By A Master, that would be great.

Kalzazz 07-15-2021 08:31 PM

I allow Player choice of Skill/5 or +2/die for things normally able to hit +2/die, and Skill/8 or +1/die

So A skill 25 archer could get +5 damage even with ST 10

A skill DX+2 ST 31 weapon master can still get +12 for 6 base dice on a swing

Christopher R. Rice 07-16-2021 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Benj (Post 2388501)
I wouldn't for the regular skill, but as a feature of Trained By A Master, that would be great.

I'll note EVERYONE had Trained by a Master in the campaign where the rule was used. I don't know if I'd require it for all campaigns. Maybe. Doesn't seem to be needed though.

Boge 07-19-2021 01:15 PM

What suggestions would you have just for a reduced price for Weapon Master Bow vs other melee weapons? If Weapon Master Sword is 20 points, my group feels Bow doesn't benefit as much, so what cost should Weapon Master Bow be if it's reduced?