Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Noršlond questions (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=166487)

DouglasCole 12-17-2019 03:18 PM

Re: Noršlond questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic_Octopus (Post 2300497)
Thanks again Douglas! Very cool stuff about the skalds and songs. I need to use them more in the campaign!

A 16-page book on Skalds/Bards really ought to be on my Wish List of things to write for Nordlond. They're too important to have as a generic bard.

Refplace 12-17-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2300502)
A 16-page book on Skalds/Bards really ought to be on my Wish List of things to write for Nordlond. They're too important to have as a generic bard.

I'd be interested.I mean I bought all your stuff already so thats not much of an incentive but still...

Stix4armz 12-17-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refplace (Post 2300516)
I'd be interested.I mean I bought all your stuff already so thats not much of an incentive but still...

I'll second that! I can't get enough of the new DFRPG and Nordlond books!

DouglasCole 12-17-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refplace (Post 2300516)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stix4armz (Post 2300530)
I'll second that! I can't get enough of the new DFRPG and Nordlond books!

Thanks guys. I've already got at least one book on the back burner . . . and of course 2020 is the year that I go all-out on the Noršlondr Ovinabokin: the Noršlond Enemies Book.

Yep: a giant Bestiary. 200-300 critters. Hopefully full color and hardback . . . but I guess we'll see if we can make it that big. I hope so. That one will be mid to late 2020, though. I've got a TFT project to do first.

LokRobster 12-19-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2300532)
Thanks guys. I've already got at least one book on the back burner . . . and of course 2020 is the year that I go all-out on the Noršlondr Ovinabokin: the Noršlond Enemies Book.

Yep: a giant Bestiary. 200-300 critters. Hopefully full color and hardback . . . but I guess we'll see if we can make it that big. I hope so. That one will be mid to late 2020, though. I've got a TFT project to do first.

Would it be crazy to offer-bundle a 16page Skald book as a add-on to the Ovinabokin?

BEASTS AND BARDS

DouglasCole 12-20-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LokRobster (Post 2300984)
Would it be crazy to offer-bundle a 16page Skald book as a add-on to the Ovinabokin?

BEASTS AND BARDS

It would not be crazy . . . but I'm going to try something in 2020 that might make that irrelevant (the add-on thing).

My experience with late add-ons is mixed. On the one hand, the add-ons for The Fantasy Trip were incredibly well received, and probably doubled my revenue. Those were counter sheets and a card deck, and the addition of a fifth adventure to the original four was more of a "yeah, I mispriced the original offering high, and *everyone* gets the new fifth book, which takes the pricing to where it should have been in the first place."

For Nordlond Sagas, adding Hand of Asgard as an add-on mid campaign was not as effective as it could have been. Folks were confused about whether it was included or an add-on (after pledging, many simply ignore the campaign and the updates until the end; that's not a complaint . . . if you back a lot of kickstarters then you are FLOODED with updates), and while I think it did OK, I think more folks will find that book useful than bought it.

In short . . . having "oh, and this other thing too" as an add-on is OK, but it can muddle the pitch unless (as with Phil Reed's new campaigns), "pick from this extensive and cool back-catalog of stuff" is one of the actual pitches from the campaign itself.

I want to keep the enemies book focused on JUST the enemies book. It is a giant project worthy of 100% of my focus and attention. I want to keep the offerings simple on that one. I also will be trying something with some of the upcoming projects that may well really help with the project queue, add-ons, etc. More on that once Nordlond Sagas is done.

Anders 12-21-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2300502)

They should be more martial than your average DF bard.

DouglasCole 12-21-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 2301226)
They should be more martial than your average DF bard.

That definitely needs to be one of the different flavors.

Gnomasz 12-21-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2301028)
I want to keep the enemies book focused on JUST the enemies book. It is a giant project worthy of 100% of my focus and attention. I want to keep the offerings simple on that one. I also will be trying something with some of the upcoming projects that may well really help with the project queue, add-ons, etc. More on that once Nordlond Sagas is done.

Besides, Cardboard Heroes or print-yourself-pdf papercraft minis make waaaay more sense as an addon for a monsters book.

DouglasCole 12-21-2019 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomasz (Post 2301250)
Besides, Cardboard Heroes or print-yourself-pdf papercraft minis make waaaay more sense as an addon for a monsters book.

That's true, and I did something similar for TFT. If folks want something that's on heavy card-stock that's basically the old CH model (cut 'em, fold 'em, stick 'em in a base yourself) I can probably do that quite easily.

If we want the new die-cut cardboard models that are basically 1" x 2" standees (that you still have to provide the base for yourself, but SJG does sell bases), I can still do that . . . but it's going to be VERY expensive unless a whole lot of folks want them and I can arrange a special run. And even then, it's a new supply chain for me if I feel that no one can afford them unless I do a custom large scale run.

Printing and shipping "stuff" instead of "books" is non-trivial, and I don't have the scale to risk a mess-up. I will consider this carefully and see what I can offer with confidence when the time comes.