Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Munchkin 101 (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Items received outside of your own turn. (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=143709)

orcbgone 05-24-2016 08:00 PM

Items received outside of your own turn.
 
I think I posted this originally in the wrong section, is this the right one?

In the rules it says you can use items as soon as you receive them, does this mean I play an armor or hand slot item if it is given to me during a combat? And are there limitations as to when this applies? As in only given or received as rewards from combat, or do trades, bribes, charity, effects of curses/bad stuff etc. count?

Andrew Hackard 05-24-2016 08:23 PM

Re: Items received outside of your own turn.
 
You may not play items during combat, no matter how you receive them, unless there is a card that says otherwise. Cards that you receive outside of combat may be played immediately.

MunchkinMan 05-24-2016 08:29 PM

Re: Items received outside of your own turn.
 
The rules actually say the following:

Quote:

Any Treasure card may be played to the table as soon as you get it, or at any time on your own turn except during combat (unless the rules below or the card itself says otherwise).
Most of the exceptions alluded to in further rules would be those in the "One-Shot" Treasures and Special Treasures sections.

I also want to make clear: Items received during a trade must already have been in play and must stay in play, they do not go into your hand, and since the rules explicitly say that a player in combat can't trade, there's no issue there.

orcbgone 05-25-2016 01:17 AM

Re: Items received outside of your own turn.
 
To the latter part of MunchkinMan's post, that I already knew and remembered, :)

But my apologies for getting the combat rules mixed up, I knew I should have re-read the sheet before posting, :/

Thanks for clearing that up guys!

GranitePenguin 05-25-2016 05:13 PM

Re: Items received outside of your own turn.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MunchkinMan (Post 2007939)
The rules actually say the following:
Quote:

Any Treasure card may be played to the table as soon as you get it, or at any time on your own turn except during combat (unless the rules below or the card itself says otherwise).

This is actually where some of my earlier confusion came from in another post recently. What version of the rules actually state it this way? I've looked at Munchkin Deluxe and Legends so far and looking under the "Treasures" section I don't see anything about combat where that would be a direct quote from the rules. I either can't read, or there's some paraphrasing going on based on implied understanding (e.g. combining statements under "Combat" and "Treasures") that I'm missing. :-(

MunchkinMan 05-26-2016 08:22 AM

Re: Items received outside of your own turn.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GranitePenguin (Post 2008174)
This is actually where some of my earlier confusion came from in another post recently. What version of the rules actually state it this way? I've looked at Munchkin Deluxe and Legends so far and looking under the "Treasures" section I don't see anything about combat where that would be a direct quote from the rules. I either can't read, or there's some paraphrasing going on based on implied understanding (e.g. combining statements under "Combat" and "Treasures") that I'm missing. :-(

I copied and pasted from the Munchkin rules PDF, v1.71 (October, 2014), but the same text is in Munchkin Deluxe rules, v1.7 (June, 2014). In both cases, they're in a big callout box on page 2 which is entitled, "When You May Take Actions." The most recent rules PDFs can (almost) always be found at http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/rules.

GranitePenguin 05-26-2016 08:51 AM

Re: Items received outside of your own turn.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MunchkinMan (Post 2008276)
I copied and pasted from the Munchkin rules PDF, v1.71 (October, 2014), but the same text is in Munchkin Deluxe rules, v1.7 (June, 2014). In both cases, they're in a big callout box on page 2 which is entitled, "When You May Take Actions." The most recent rules PDFs can (almost) always be found at http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/rules.

The rules I was looking at are v1.6 Deluxe (November 2012), which does not have that wording. A very important lesson to learn here: Read the latest rules online before putting your foot in your mouth. :-)

Thanks!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.