Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=62539)

ericbsmith 09-17-2009 03:01 AM

GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

This tread is intended to be a place for discussion of and notifications for my spreadsheet. Please keep posts on this topic; if you have other Spaceships related questions/topics feel free to start your own thread.

The GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet is a pretty sophisticated spreadsheet which contains almost everything from the Spaceship series of books. The way I designed the sheet you can duplicate the Design Table worksheet to create more ships within the same spreadsheet or duplicate the Saved Ships sheets to better organize saved ships. The only options that carry over to all ships are those designated as Campaign Options.

This is still a work in progress. If you find any significant errors, or have any suggestions for improvements, please post them!

A few notes: The spreadsheet contains several worksheets, three of which are visible to the user. Optional Rules contains write-ups for several new systems, habitats, and rules which can be turned off if desired. Campaign Options contains a place to set Design Switches & Features that apply to all ships you design with the spreadsheet as well as allowing you to Filter out ship systems, Habitats, or Weapons you don't wish to use in your designs. Design Table contains a work area to create two spaceships and print them out. This worksheet is completely self contained - so you can copy this worksheet (by right-clicking on the tab for it and selecting copy) to create even more ships within a single spreadsheet.

Macros

The spreadsheet is written in Excel 2000, but is fully compatible with OpenOffice v3.3.0. It has been tested to work in OpenOffice v3.2 Portable, OpenOffice v3.4.x, and LibreOffice v4, all of which are completely free to download (see below). The spreadsheet makes use of many Macros -- most of these Macros have now been ported over to work in OpenOffice (but some run slow as nails in OpenOffice v3.4.x and LibreOffice v4).

I've created a Self-Signed Security Certificate for the Macros in both Excel and Open Office. Obviously not the most secure, but if you trust me that shouldn't be a problem. The Macros do add significant functionality to the sheet which cannot be attained any other way, allowing it to automatically show or hide rows as needed. To enable Macros you either need to accept the Certificate or create a Security exception for the save folder you have placed the spreadsheet in.

In OpenOffice you can can create a Security Exception under:
Tools -> Options -> Security -> Macro Security (button) -> Trusted Sources (tab) -> Trusted file locations (Add button)

In Microsoft Office 2007 you can create a Security Exception under:
Office Button (top-left corner) -> Excel Options (button) -> Trust Center -> Trust Center Settings (button) -> Trusted Locations

In Office 2000 you cannot set a Trusted location, but instead must accept the Certificate to enable Macros.

This spreadsheet may have issues with Regional Settings other than English (USA) - in particular those regions where a comma is used for a decimal separator instead of a period.

Download
There's a sample output PDF here.
Here's a blank worksheet, good for printing out and filling in by hand.
Daniel N. Smith has made up a very good Spaceship Worksheet which you can find in this thread.

You can download the spreadsheet here:

Excel 2000
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2.zip (3.37 MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2.7z (1.58 MB)

Excel 2007
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-2007.zip (4.32 MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-2007.7z (4.2 MB)

Excel 2007 No Macro
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/Space...007NoMacro.zip (4.32MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/Space...2007NoMacro.7z (3.85MB)

OpenOffice 3.3.0
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-Ooo.zip (3.36 MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-Ooo.7z (2.96 MB)

Here's a PDF of the optional rules I incorporate into the spreadsheet (these options can be turned off from within the spreadsheet).:
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/pdf/Space...ionalRules.pdf

OpenOffice / LibreOffice
OpenOffice v3.2.0 Portable
OpenOffice v3.3.0
OpenOffice v3.4.x
LibreOffice v4

Version History
Version 2.0 Release Candidate 21
V2.0 RC20
v2.0 RC19
v2.0 RC18
v2.0 RC17
v2.0 RC16
v2.0 RC15
v2.0 RC14
v2.0 RC13
v2.0 RC12
v2.0 RC11
v2.0 RC10
v2.0 RC9
v2.0 RC8
v2.0 RC7
-Macro compatibility with OpenOffice.
v2.0 RC6
v2.0 RC5
v2.0 RC4
v2.0 RC3
v2.0 RC2
v2.0 RC1
- This version marks a complete redesign of the sheet.

v1.40c

sjard 09-17-2009 04:13 AM

Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Have you considered putting together a simple pdf worksheet form for those of us who don't particularly like spreadsheets?

ericbsmith 09-17-2009 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjard (Post 851694)
Have you considered putting together a simple pdf worksheet form for those of us who don't particularly like spreadsheets?

Nope. I've never even created a PDF worksheet.

What do you dislike about spreadsheets? Because I've designed this one to have a very user friendly interface - it looks (and acts) more like a program than a spreadsheet. You select TL, SM, and the 20 ship systems from drop down menus, then fill in checkboxes for the various ship options, design switches, etc. You can fill in the entire thing with mouse clicks - no need to enter any data except the ship name, and no need to go mucking about with formulas and the like. That's already been done for you (by ME! ugh... I spent way too much time on this thing ;-).

sjard 09-17-2009 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbsmith (Post 851704)
What do you dislike about spreadsheets?

I can't print it out and use it away from a computer. That is pretty much my only problem with that sort of generation system.

ericbsmith 09-17-2009 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjard (Post 851710)
I can't print it out and use it away from a computer. That is pretty much my only problem with that sort of generation system.

My spreadsheet, if left blank, works as a pretty decent worksheet once printed. If all you want is a blank PDF that's not that hard; when you said "pdf worksheet" I had assumed you meant one of the PDFs which can be filled in by a user.

sjard 09-17-2009 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbsmith (Post 851715)
I had assumed you meant one of the PDFs which can be filled in by a user.

No, I was meaning a pdf format of a form to print out. Sort of like a record sheet.

ericbsmith 09-17-2009 06:06 AM

Here's a blank worksheet PDF, good for printing out and filling in by hand.

sjard 09-17-2009 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbsmith (Post 851729)
Here's a blank worksheet PDF, good for printing out and filling in by hand.

Cool, Thanks.

Shrale 09-17-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjard (Post 851716)
No, I was meaning a pdf format of a form to print out. Sort of like a record sheet.

Good idea.

That's how I learned G:Robots 3e, made a blank HTML table
for each section and sat down and made robots with pencil.

Before long I'd done 20 or 30.

Helped me a bit with Vehicles 3e too.

Hmmm, wonder if a PHP version would be worth it. Well let's
see how many ships I can build by pencil & paper first.

>

panton41 09-25-2009 11:54 AM

I noticed today that if you place a Weapon Battery in the Center #1 section (maybe others, but that stood out since that was the one I wanted to use) that the section lower on the page where you can choose the type of weapons didn't work.

ericbsmith 09-25-2009 12:06 PM

I think I'm going to need a more precise explanation and example of what's going on, because I'm not seeing a problem.

panton41 09-25-2009 07:21 PM

It's fixed in the newest version, apparently. I was using 1.11 when it was happening.

davester65 09-27-2009 03:57 PM

Hi, I believe I brought this up on the old thread. I noticed that when you fit a ship with solar sails that it lists acceleration as 0g's no matter how many sail modules are fitted. Has this been fixed yet? I believe I'm using version 1.12.

ericbsmith 09-27-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davester65 (Post 857699)
Hi, I believe I brought this up on the old thread. I noticed that when you fit a ship with solar sails that it lists acceleration as 0g's no matter how many sail modules are fitted. Has this been fixed yet? I believe I'm using version 1.12.

I'd fixed the accel but wanted to go back in and add footnotes for it, which I didn't get around to doing until now (in other words, I'd kind of forgotten about it). Version 1.13 posted.

Agemegos 09-30-2009 03:31 AM

I'm probably being obtuse, but I don't see where I automate systems such as turrets.

ericbsmith 09-30-2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett (Post 859153)
I'm probably being obtuse, but I don't see where I automate systems such as turrets.

There's no way to automate individual systems. On the right side there is a drop-down menu where you can Automate the entire ship.

pw02 10-03-2009 05:37 PM

Since no one seems to have brought it up yet, the program works fine in Office 2003 without macros, but if they're activated the program freezes up as soon as you start entering data.

Two other things:
  • How do I turn off the macros?
  • What do the macros for size (short, tall, narrow, wide, etc.) do? I can't find anything in the books about modifying a ship's size

ericbsmith 10-03-2009 05:58 PM

I'm not sure of the best way to turn off the Macros, other than to disable them when you open the spreadsheet.

The size Macros are for the spreadsheet, not the ship. They increase the width and height of the rows & columns, to make some automatic adjustments to make it look better either on screen or when printed.

SpaceGurper 10-03-2009 06:03 PM

Do you have any plans to rebuild this spreadsheet for Excel 07?

ericbsmith 10-03-2009 06:07 PM

No, since I don't own nor plan to get Excel '07. It should work sans macros in most any version of Excel, though. The main thing the macros do are resetting the sheet and adjusting Row height & Column width, plus automatically unhiding some of the hidden rows when they're needed, or hiding some of the unused rows when they're not needed.

If I were to do a complete rework of the Macros it would probably be for Open Office 3.x, since it's free and multi-platform. But, frankly, I'm not much of a programmer (which are essentially what the core Macros are, simple programs - if you're a programmer), so I don't have much wish to even try to rework the Macros, even for Open Office.

SpaceGurper 10-03-2009 06:14 PM

No worries. I just noticed on the list of links you had that there is an 07 version available.

ericbsmith 10-03-2009 06:20 PM

The Excel '07 version is essentially just the Excel 2000 version with the Macros stripped out.

pw02 10-03-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbsmith (Post 860921)
I'm not sure of the best way to turn off the Macros, other than to disable them when you open the spreadsheet.

......And if I clicked that little box that has the program always enable the macros when the spreadsheet opens?

ericbsmith 10-03-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pw02 (Post 860949)
......And if I clicked that little box that has the program always enable the macros when the spreadsheet opens?

Open Excel (but not the Spaceships spreadsheet) then go to Tools -> Macros -> Security -> Trusted Sources (at least, that's where it's located in Excel 2000)

And remove Eric B. Smith as a trusted source, which will cause the Macros dialog to reappear when you open the files.

pw02 10-03-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbsmith (Post 860951)
Open Excel (but not the Spaceships spreadsheet) then go to Tools -> Macros -> Security -> Trusted Sources (at least, that's where it's located in Excel 2000)

And remove Eric B. Smith as a trusted source, which will cause the Macros dialog to reappear when you open the files.

Ah, that worked, thanks.

Oh, and I if didn't say it earlier. Thanks for putting this up here, makes it much easier to whip up ships quickly.

DemiBenson 10-05-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbsmith (Post 851688)
The previous thread I started seems to have been deleted by the forum changes. Since this now seems to be the appropriate place to post the notices I'm starting this tread to be a discussion and notification thread for my spreadsheet.

Eric, this is fantastic! Thank you so much!

I have two tiny little feature requests
  1. For the Habitat section, can there be a dropdown for "Open Space"?
  2. Can there be a note somewhere for number and size of Airlocks?

Thanks again!

panton41 10-05-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbsmith (Post 860937)
The Excel '07 version is essentially just the Excel 2000 version with the Macros stripped out.

The Excel 2007 version are also in the Office Open XML format which are about 1/6 the size of the Excel 2000 version and about 1 1/2 times the size of the OpenDocument version for OpenOffice.org. Both are basically a collection of XML files ZIPed into a larger file, but they work in different ways and, I suspect, use different quality ZIP routines.

pw02 12-01-2009 02:59 PM

Little glitch I found: If you select the "Engine: Ram-Rockets" option, it increases the cost of several major non-engine systems (so far I've found it affects control room, weapon batteries, and power plants).

Edit: If possible, not having conventional weapon batteries (guns and missiles) count as requiring power points would also be appreciated.

ericbsmith 12-01-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pw02 (Post 891061)
Edit: If possible, not having conventional weapon batteries (guns and missiles) count as requiring power points would also be appreciated.

Currently, Guns & Missiles subtract from the total Power Points Used as calculated in the top section of the ship. I wanted to have them remove the Power Point notation from the Weapon Battery system, but that was just not practical.

I'll look into the Ram Rockets thing when I get a chance, but I've been busy as hell with real life lately.

panton41 12-02-2009 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbsmith (Post 891185)
Currently, Guns & Missiles subtract from the total Power Points Used as calculated in the top section of the ship. I wanted to have them remove the Power Point notation from the Weapon Battery system, but that was just not practical.

I'll look into the Ram Rockets thing when I get a chance, but I've been busy as hell with real life lately.

I thought at least the missiles (which I use more often than conventional guns) did remove the Power Point used at the top.

Edit: Yeah, both missiles and conventional guns use zero Power Points correctly.

ericbsmith 12-02-2009 07:44 AM

Version 1.15 posted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pw02 (Post 891061)
Little glitch I found: If you select the "Engine: Ram-Rockets" option, it increases the cost of several major non-engine systems (so far I've found it affects control room, weapon batteries, and power plants).

Fixed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciaran_skye (Post 891237)
Edit: Yeah, both missiles and conventional guns use zero Power Points correctly.

And not just Missiles & Guns but also if you use some mounts as a Cargo Hold, though currently you have to select Cargo Hold as a Weapon but not it's location - in order to save space the sheet wraps all Weapon Mount Cargo Holds into one "weapon" entry.

Diomedes 12-02-2009 11:34 AM

Your Optional Rules link is bad, due to being abbreviated with ellipses.

ericbsmith 01-09-2010 10:56 PM

Posted version 1.16. I did a lot of coding reworking, so let me know if any bugs pop up.

Mgellis 01-10-2010 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbsmith (Post 911712)
Posted version 1.16. I did a lot of coding reworking, so let me know if any bugs pop up.

I played around with it for a few minutes and it seems to be working fine; if I find any bugs, I will let you know.

Thank you for putting this together; it is a wonderful and enjoyable tool.

Mark

panton41 01-10-2010 08:59 AM

The revised sheet up uploaded.

As a side note, I hadn't noticed the modular system rule, I've been looking for that kind of rule for a long time.

congo 01-12-2010 05:06 PM

ericbsmith:
- The lower sheet has a typo (Dynaic Chameleon Hull).

And another thing. In my campaign some ships are too static in combat, so they use water instead of hydrogen as fuel. But there is no mention that all fuel tanks have to be filled with the same substance(?). So my ships have one tank of higher thrust fuel. It would be nice to include Fuel tank (water) besides normal fuel tank to modules to simulate for this emergency high thrust fuel reserve.
And it would be nice to have an option to change TL of individual components, cause some of my ships have different module statistics to simulate some tech edge in sensors (example).
But Good Work. :). I had my own sheet, but i was too lazy to have it cleaned up like this one so i switched to yours :)

ericbsmith 01-12-2010 06:42 PM

Posted v1.17

LOL, that typo has probably been there since I put the sheet together :O

Adding the capability to set TL for each ship system turned out to be relatively easy, so it's done. The fuel tank thing would take a *LOT* more wrangling than I care put into it at the moment.

congo 01-12-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbsmith (Post 913507)
Posted v1.17

LOL, that typo has probably been there since I put the sheet together :O

Adding the capability to set TL for each ship system turned out to be relatively easy, so it's done. The fuel tank thing would take a *LOT* more wrangling than I care put into it at the moment.

ok. so i dont see how i can change tl of individual systems. and whatever i choose as the first system in front hull i get en error information in B11(and black background). I'm using excel 2007. It worked fine earlier(100%sure for v15, i dont remember if i made a ship using v16)

ericbsmith 01-12-2010 08:32 PM

Fixed the error and re-uploaded.

To set the TL of a ship system there is a column all the way to the right, just to the right of the Modular checkboxes, to the left of the cost breakdown.

Kale 01-12-2010 10:34 PM

Could you post the open office version in .zip instead of or in addition to .7z? I'd like to use the open office version but I don't want to deal with .7z when I already have plain old .zip capability.

ericbsmith 01-12-2010 10:40 PM

Honestly, .7z is so superior and my bandwidth so low I've considered ditching the .zip version altogether.

And the Open Office version is, literally, just me opening the Excel version within Open Office and selecting Save As... ODF Spreadsheet. Which you could quite easily do yourself by downloading the Excel version.

The main reason I supply the Ooo version is because I like to do some testing of the changes I've made in Open Office, since I've come across a few bugs in the Excel to Open Office conversion routines built into Open Office. In fact, pretty much all of the work I had to do to make the sheet Ooo friendly was to work around various bugs in the conversion routines.

Langy 01-12-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

And the Open Office version is, literally, just me opening the Excel version within Open Office and selecting Save As... Open Office Document. Which you could quite easily do yourself by downloading the Excel version.
Unless, of course, he doesn't have Excel, which would be why he wants to use the Open Office version:p

ericbsmith 01-12-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Langy (Post 913623)
Unless, of course, he doesn't have Excel, which would be why he wants to use the Open Office version:p

You don't need Excel to open the Excel version within Open Office. Open Office can open most Excel spreadsheets, including this one. As I said, my entire "creation" process for the Open Office version consists of me opening the Excel version within Ooo and then hitting Save As... ODF Spreadsheet. Then I check to see if I broke anything, and if I did I go back to Excel, fix it, and open it up in Ooo again.

Kale 01-12-2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbsmith (Post 913625)
You don't need Excel to open the Excel version within Open Office. Open Office can open most Excel spreadsheets, including this one. As I said, my entire "creation" process for the Open Office version consists of me opening the Excel version within Ooo and then hitting Save As... ODF Spreadsheet. Then I check to see if I broke anything, and if I did I go back to Excel, fix it, and open it up in Ooo again.

Unfortunately, my version of OO (3.1) crashed whenever I tried to open the .xls, which is why I was asking for the .ods format in an archive format I can actually open on my linux box.

Langy 01-12-2010 11:45 PM

Ah - for some reason I read that as you went into Excel and saved it as an Open Office Document, not doing it in Open Office. Doh.

ericbsmith 01-13-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kale (Post 913653)
Unfortunately, my version of OO (3.1) crashed whenever I tried to open the .xls, which is why I was asking for the .ods format in an archive format I can actually open on my linux box.

That's odd; it works perfectly fine in Ooo v3.1 for Windows.

Anyway, I've now posted the Ooo version in .zip format.
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/Spaceships-Ooo.zip

vicky_molokh 01-13-2010 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Langy (Post 913655)
Ah - for some reason I read that as you went into Excel and saved it as an Open Office Document, not doing it in Open Office. Doh.

Wouldn't that make MS Office become freeware?

Kale 01-13-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbsmith (Post 913666)
That's odd; it works perfectly fine in Ooo v3.1 for Windows.

Anyway, I've now posted the Ooo version in .zip format.
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/Spaceships-Ooo.zip

I just downloaded it and tried it out. It works perfectly! Thank you very much!

Kale 01-13-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molokh (Post 913700)
Wouldn't that make MS Office become freeware?

Heh. No, it would just mean that Office would have to acknowledge Open Office's existence, which is Never Going To Happen. @:-)

vicky_molokh 01-13-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kale (Post 913859)
Heh. No, it would just mean that Office would have to acknowledge Open Office's existence, which is Never Going To Happen. @:-)

I thought the OO formats were GPL, so anything opening them must be GPL.

panton41 01-13-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molokh (Post 913861)

They're an ISO standard, as is Microsoft's Office Open XML, but not GPL.

Langy 01-13-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

This would be very stupid of them if that were the case - it dramatically limits the number of products that would be willing to include compatibility for OpenOffice documents.

Then again, I don't actually know of any applications besides OpenOffice itself that can open OpenOffice documents, so that may not be something they care much about.

panton41 01-13-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Langy (Post 913992)
Then again, I don't actually know of any applications besides OpenOffice itself that can open OpenOffice documents, so that may not be something they care much about.

For closed-source MS Office 2007 SP 2 can and I think Corel has a plug-in for WordPerfect if it's not built-in already (I don't use it so I can't say). With Open Source products it's almost universal anymore, though OOo does it best.

davester65 01-31-2010 01:43 PM

Not to be a bother, but any idea on when an update with the rules from Spaceships 7 will be out? Thanks.

ericbsmith 01-31-2010 02:23 PM

I don't know; probably not anytime soon. I just started going to College for Computer Science. Which means that lately I've rather enjoyed activities which have nothing to do with Math and Computer Programming...

panton41 01-31-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbsmith (Post 925516)
I don't know; probably not anytime soon. I just started going to College for Computer Science. Which means that lately I've rather enjoyed activities which have nothing to do with Math and Computer Programming...

I'm in school for informatics, which has a computer science side to it, and I've considered making a Java-based Spaceships constructor, but they never got around to teaching up stuff like parsing text file (for inputing the data files) or things like that, so I never attempted it.

SalsaDoom 04-30-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davester65 (Post 925499)
Not to be a bother, but any idea on when an update with the rules from Spaceships 7 will be out? Thanks.

I'd actually like to see this too, I picked that up the other day and was looking forward to making low-tech ships with this. Maybe someday ;) Thanks for the good work Eric :)

Stoob 06-13-2010 11:14 PM

First of all, thanks for the Spreadsheet!!!!!!! It is awesome! When I bought the book this weekend (I know, what can I say....I'm a late adopter!) it made my head hurt. The spreadsheet made me happy to use the system.

These aren't questions about the spreadsheet, but about Spaceships itself. I'm asking here, because it seems like this thread is the most active, and I couldn't find an FAQ on Spaceships. I hope you can help.

1. What if my ship is so simple it doesn't need 20 systems? What if it only needs like 16 or something? What happens with the open hit locations? Do I just leave them blank...and then if a blank spot is hit, I roll again? If I use the spreadsheet to expand a system to more than one location, it ends up duplicating the system. I can see how this would be useful, but what if I don't need 2 of the same system?

2. When I buy a cannon or missile rack, it appears to come with a certain amount of ammo. What if I want more or less ammo? Can ammo be purchased separately?

Thanks people.

panton41 06-13-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciaran_skye (Post 925518)
I'm in school for informatics, which has a computer science side to it, and I've considered making a Java-based Spaceships constructor, but they never got around to teaching up stuff like parsing text file (for inputing the data files) or things like that, so I never attempted it.

I'll follow up by saying this database class I'm taking has allowed me to understand how to do this with XML, so I might start on it during my self-imposed exile to Shepherdsville, Kentucky in a couple weeks.

Stoob 06-13-2010 11:58 PM

Java uses JSON files, which are similar to XML.

Langy 06-14-2010 12:26 AM

Java can parse XML files just fine. It may not have any prebuilt classes for XML parsing, but that doesn't mean much.

Quote:

1. What if my ship is so simple it doesn't need 20 systems? What if it only needs like 16 or something? What happens with the open hit locations? Do I just leave them blank...and then if a blank spot is hit, I roll again? If I use the spreadsheet to expand a system to more than one location, it ends up duplicating the system. I can see how this would be useful, but what if I don't need 2 of the same system?
Each system is defined as 1/20 of the mass of a spaceship. It doesn't matter if you only need sixteen systems - a ship is always twenty, otherwise certain things (specifically engine performance and fuel use) won't work right.

So, always make ships in 20 systems. If you can fulfill all the requirements for a ship in less, just fill out the rest of the systems with something else - cargo bays work well, since they're free.

Quote:

2. When I buy a cannon or missile rack, it appears to come with a certain amount of ammo. What if I want more or less ammo? Can ammo be purchased separately?
Yep. You can stick 'em in a Cargo Bay, and they cost $100,000 per ton for cannon ammo or $1,000,000 per ton for missiles. You can see how much each bullet/missile weighs in the Consumables section of the PDF.

panton41 06-14-2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Langy (Post 1000482)
Java can parse XML files just fine. It may not have any prebuilt classes for XML parsing, but that doesn't mean much.

Apparently it does in the javax libraries, but I've never used them beyond as a part of Swing. From the way it looks much of what I've learn in the database class is directly applicable. (Heck, I think Java for Dummies even explains it.)

Kuroshima 06-14-2010 06:43 AM

While XML is fine and dandy, I personally prefer full fledged databases. SQLite can be used from Java, supports ACID, a big percentage of the SQL standard, and it is fast and small.

panton41 06-14-2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuroshima (Post 1000551)
While XML is fine and dandy, I personally prefer full fledged databases. SQLite can be used from Java, supports ACID, a big percentage of the SQL standard, and it is fast and small.

I don't need a full database, I just need the content of the books turned into a format that's easily imported and exported to and from the program with minimal fuss and that's human readable enough for hand-edits, no overhead and maybe compresses well if I feel like doing that. XML is a good, open, standard designed almost specifically for that purpose.

I would probably use XML with a different extension and, if I can manage it, throw it into a ZIP wrapper if it's worth the effort.

Daigoro 06-26-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by congo (Post 913442)
It would be nice to include Fuel tank (water) besides normal fuel tank to modules to simulate for this emergency high thrust fuel reserve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbsmith (Post 913507)
The fuel tank thing would take a *LOT* more wrangling than I care put into it at the moment.

Can I put a vote in for Fuel Tank differentiation too? I want to add one tank linked to a MHD Power Plant for extended duration (and have that duration listed in the ship stats for that matter) and a different set of tanks for the Reaction Engines and their delta-V increase. This is probably easier by making multiple entries for Fuel Tank in the systems tab, as Fuel Tank(MHD), Fuel Tank (Reaction- Fusion Torch/Water), etc.

Also, I don't know if this is me and my reading comprehension skills or the spreadsheet, but I can't see how the weapon damage values for guns and missiles link to what's in the weapon table on SS1p68, they seem to be lower by a factor of 10 in the spreadsheet. The weapon table shows dDamage, so it's not that.

And Lasers list damage type as "burn", when they should have "burn(2)" with the armour divisor.

ETA: It's my reading- the errata page says gun/missiles damages have been cut by 1/10- http://www.sjgames.com/errata/gurps/4e/spaceships.html, though it would be nice if the errata page reprinted the whole table with corrections instead of how it's presented now.

Dark_Daemon 07-28-2010 05:31 AM

Excellent tool, thanks for making it.
One annoying thing: in move, mps is rounded to the nearest whole number, rather than having one decimal point. I've looked around, but most of the necessary cells to fix that are hidden within the sheet, so no such luck. I'd be awesome if you could fix that, or at least give me a hint where to look for a solution. From my experience, it probably stems from a cell formatting issue, but I could very well be wrong.

Edit: Footnote numbers do not correspond correctly. Issue occurs in a TL 12^, SM+6, force screened craft.

ericbsmith 07-28-2010 11:44 AM

Posted version 1.18, hopefully fixing the Footnotes bug and allowing mps to go to three decimals. There were actually several bugs in the footnotes; if you notice any more please let me know.

Dark_Daemon 07-29-2010 02:25 AM

Any idea on how to easily transfer data from a filled out 1.17 to the empty 1.18? Re-inputing four ship's worth is not appealing.

ericbsmith 07-31-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Daemon (Post 1023554)
Any idea on how to easily transfer data from a filled out 1.17 to the empty 1.18? Re-inputing four ship's worth is not appealing.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way of copying the data from one sheet to another. Maybe I'll look into creating a Macro that will handle some of the work, but right now there isn't one.

ericbsmith 07-31-2010 11:59 AM

Version 1.19a Posted:

http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/Spaceships119.zip

http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/Spaceships119.7z

This is a biggie, so I'm considering it a Beta build and posting it separately from v1.18.

This update includes:
-Full Excel 2007 compatibility (and, presumably, Excel 2003 & 2010)
-Preliminary support for Spaceships 7

All the new systems and most of the options from Spaceships 7 are present except for the rules for Smaller Systems. I'm still not sure how exactly I'm implementing those, so they're still on the far back burner. Right now I want to concentrate on fixing any errors in the present systems and ship options, as well as looking over any bugs I may have introduced in adding these systems.

I've adjusted the core Macro to fix the compatibility issues with Excel 2007. I still have no idea why the Macro was causing a lockup in Excel 2007 - apparently it was getting stuck in an infinite calculation loop - but I was able to adjust the Macro so that it exists the loop after a single iteration rather than getting stuck in the loop.

I also had to create a new Self-Signed Security Certificate for the Macros. This means you will probably be prompted to accept the certificate again. If you want the Macros functionality just say yes.

ericbsmith 08-01-2010 02:24 PM

Just posted Version 1.19c with even more bug fixes. Still in the beta stage, still with the beta links:

Mgellis 08-01-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbsmith (Post 1025581)
Just posted Version 1.19c with even more bug fixes. Still in the beta stage, still with the beta links:

Eric, I think I may have spotted an error. It looks like some of the systems like Power Plants that do not normally have crew requirements are being listed with crew requirements. I think the Normal ("some automation") setting for crew requirements just isn't working anymore...the spreadsheet is either setting it as "Lacks Automation" or "Total Automation." It may show it as "No Automation" but it is treating it as "Lacks Automation." I don't know how to turn the switches "off" and get back to the "normal" setting.

The error does not occur in my copy of earlier versions of the spreadsheet.

I hope this helps.

Mark

ericbsmith 08-01-2010 05:38 PM

Yup, looks like I jumbled up the Workspace requirements when I added the Lacks Automation code in. I'll post an update at some point later today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgellis (Post 1025659)
I hope this helps.

Very much so, thanks. Let me know if you spot anything else.

Mgellis 08-01-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbsmith (Post 1025664)
Yup, looks like I jumbled up the Workspace requirements when I added the Lacks Automation code in. I'll post an update at some point later today.

Very much so, thanks. Let me know if you spot anything else.

Will do. Thanks again for putting this spreadsheet together; it's lots and lots of fun.

Mgellis 08-01-2010 07:46 PM

Quick question...should a damage multiplier OR an MPS statistic be listed for electromagnetic guns (2 MPS = 2 x listed damage) and grav guns (5 MPS = 5 x listed damage)?

ericbsmith 08-02-2010 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgellis (Post 1025715)
Quick question...should a damage multiplier OR an MPS statistic be listed for electromagnetic guns (2 MPS = 2 x listed damage) and grav guns (5 MPS = 5 x listed damage)?

Umm, I'm not sure. Can you give me the page reference for that?

Also, just uploaded Version 1.19d. Even more bug fixes, and a couple more minor additions.

Langy 08-02-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

An MPS statistic should be listed for all ballistic weapons. Conventional guns are 1 MPS, electromagnetic guns 2 MPS, and grav guns 5 MPS. This is the minimum relative velocity, page 59 of Spaceships.

Mgellis 08-02-2010 05:24 PM

I keep getting an error message when I use the first system of the central hull on the new spreadsheet. It happens for some systems (armor, etc.) but not all. The debugger points to this code...

'HideRows

For HiddenRow = 1 To 206

If ActiveSheet.Cells(HiddenRow, 1) = 0 Then
Rows(HiddenRow).EntireRow.Hidden = True
Else
Rows(HiddenRow).EntireRow.Hidden = False
End If

Next HiddenRow

Range("B5").Select

ActiveSheet.Unprotect
End If

I have no idea what any of this means, but the line that keeps getting highlighted as a troublemaker is...

If ActiveSheet.Cells(HiddenRow, 1) = 0 Then

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Mark

Mgellis 08-02-2010 05:27 PM

Quick question...will you be able to add the design switches for Spaceships 8: Transhuman Space any time soon? I think there are only a couple of them; the one that's really important is the advanced computer one. Thanks.

ericbsmith 08-02-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgellis (Post 1026284)
I keep getting an error message when I use the first system of the central hull on the new spreadsheet. It happens for some systems (armor, etc.) but not all. The debugger points to this code...

That's part of the Core Macro, which I have written and rewritten about a dozen times now trying to tweak it. I've made another significant change to it for the next release, which may alleviate the error message you're seeing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgellis (Post 1026285)
Quick question...will you be able to add the design switches for Spaceships 8: Transhuman Space any time soon? I think there are only a couple of them; the one that's really important is the advanced computer one. Thanks.

I don't know. I haven't even read Spaceships 8 yet, so I don't know how the design switches affects anything.