Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Nordlond Sagas: Three new books for the DFRPG (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=165436)

DouglasCole 09-10-2019 09:22 AM

Nordlond Sagas: Three new books for the DFRPG

At 10:30 central time on Sept 10, the latest Kickstarter for Gaming Ballistic launched: Nordlond Sagas for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG.

It hopes to fund three products, all set in the Norðlond setting and supporting the Dungeon Fantasy RPG with more full-color, 8x10 books.

The Dragons of Rosgarth
48 or 64 pages
This setting expansion and adventure scenario details the towns of Midgard and Jarngarðr, and provides a looming threat worthy of a party of seasoned delvers. Targeted at four to six delvers of 300 points or more. Written by Kyle Norton (Dungeons on Automatic).

Forest's End
64 or 80 pages
The King proclaimed that lands and titles were newly available for those bold enough to hold them. One thegn, more than bold enough to take up the King's challenge, built a fortified settlement near where the forest meets the sea: Skógarenda . . . Forest's End. The thegn is ready to claim his rightful status as lord and jarl. A great feast is planned. What could go wrong?

Forest's End features several threats and three actual dungeons to delve for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG! Written by Merlin Avery.

Norðlondr Fólk
16 pages
Sixteen playable racial templates to supplement those from Dungeon Fantasy Adventurers, including Norðlond-specific versions of elves and dwarves. Also dragon-blooded, children of humans and demons, and other hybrids, such as raven-folk and those who are brothers and sisters to bear and boar. Written by Kevin Smyth.

About 10 minutes to launch! As with all small-publisher efforts, the best thing you can do to help is (a) first back the campaign, and then (b) talk about it somewhere else. Share the link, say why you're excited to be a part of the campaign, a comment on facebook, anything. It's amazing how that sort of network effect can drive a campaign.

Let's see if we can break the old DFRPG record for Gaming Ballistic of 600 backers, and the all-time record for me of 610 from The Fantasy Trip.

Nordlond Sagas for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG

[Edit: It's off to a strong start, with 10% funding in the first half-hour.]

zuljita 09-10-2019 02:24 PM

Re: Nordlond Sagas: Three new books for the DFRPG

And we're off with an epic 6k so far in less than 5 hours.

DouglasCole 09-10-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zuljita (Post 2284346)
And we're off with an epic 6k so far in less than 5 hours.

For what it's worth, The Citadel at Norðvörn, my prior best in terms of funding and backer count, took two days to get to $5600.

That doesn't mean anything yet - it's not just a strong start but a steady finish that matters. But . . . it's better than a WEAK start!

The team and I are thinking about possible extras and add-ons, especially PDFs, that we can deliver without jeopardizing any other bits of the project. We've got a few fun ones we're mulling. More later.

AOTA 09-10-2019 11:58 PM

Backed and looking forward to it.

evileeyore 09-11-2019 12:11 AM

It was at half by midnight EST.

Raekai 09-11-2019 03:40 PM

And it hit two-thirds just a bit ago!

DouglasCole 09-14-2019 07:39 AM

We're at $6 from being 85% funded (and I know at least one person wants HoJ2 in print, so ...) as we hit Saturday morning. That's a strong showing, and it hopefully means we'll get those last $1250 to basic funding in the next two or three days.

If you missed them, here are some update links:

And we're off (and off to a good start, too!)

More copies? Yah, sure...you betcha

Just about 75% funding! And a new product for the future

Norðlondr Fólk Outline

tbone 09-16-2019 02:24 AM

Looking forward to the new books!

Now here's a dumb question:

In the Kickstarters for the earlier GB DFRPG books, lots of pre-release PDF editions were offered, and I have a collection of PDF files with names like Hall+of+Judgment+8x10+PDF+u20190602 and Citadel+at+Nordvorn+PDF+Pre-final+v22 and HoJ2e+Full+PDF+Test+Export+3. I'm not sure that I picked up the final versions. More embarrassingly, I don't rightly recall where the downloads came from – the GB site, W23, or what.

So, for me and anyone similarly forgetful and confused: Where does an owner of GB PDF products go to download or re-download the latest versions?

Thanks!

DouglasCole 09-16-2019 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbone (Post 2285485)
Looking forward to the new books!

Now here's a dumb question:

In the Kickstarters for the earlier GB DFRPG books, lots of pre-release PDF editions were offered, and I have a collection of PDF files with names like Hall+of+Judgment+8x10+PDF+u20190602 and Citadel+at+Nordvorn+PDF+Pre-final+v22 and HoJ2e+Full+PDF+Test+Export+3. I'm not sure that I picked up the final versions. More embarrassingly, I don't rightly recall where the downloads came from – the GB site, W23, or what.

So, for me and anyone similarly forgetful and confused: Where does an owner of GB PDF products go to download or re-download the latest versions?

Thanks!

The short version is my website. I’ll see what the latest version numbers are and post them.

(Most of those came from Backerkit)

DouglasCole 09-17-2019 11:28 AM

$100 to go! A SINGLE "oh, I missed the other Kickstarters, so let's make up for that" pledge for six books (four adventures, two rules supplements) on the Nordlond Sagas kickstarter would be $135, and seal this deal as funded in a week. Then it's stretch goals.

Who wants to be THAT PERSON?

The Nordlond Sagas campaign funded at about 1:30pm on Tuesday Sept 17.

Now for stretch goals.

tbone 09-18-2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2285497)
The short version is my website.

Thanks. To be clear, this is a zero-urgency matter; I think you have some other, more pressing things on hand at the moment. Do those first. : )

For future reference, though: I did initially search your site to download the latest versions. I may be missing something, but on the GB Store pages, I don't see any login for Kickstarter backers or other past purchasers. The only way I can get to a login is by first adding something to the cart, then proceeding to checkout, which offers a login option for returning customers, all of which is not ideal if I want to log in and browse, confirm past purchases, etc., without jumping right to checkout. (And is a past Kickstarter backer a "returning customer" on the GB Store?)

My humble suggestions for future GB Store upgrades:

1. Offer guidance on how past purchasers, both via GB Store and Kickstarter, can check for and download PDF updates.
2. Put login (including customer account creation) before the cart.
3. As you have products for several game systems, let users filter store offerings by system.

Alternately, just let me know the obvious existing remedies to all of those, that I'm missing.

Most importantly, keep filling the store with more. It's good stuff!

DouglasCole 09-19-2019 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbone (Post 2285956)
My humble suggestions for future GB Store upgrades:

I'll look into this; WooCommerce isn't terribly obvious how to do any of them. Adding logon for Kickstarter backers least of all. Filtering, I'm hopeful.

SCAR 09-24-2019 08:15 AM

Seriously considering getting in on this one, haven't bought any GURPS stuff in a few years now, but I've kept on eye on developments, and these viking themed books have been very tempting - and this Kickstarter may finally have done it for me with the "Allar Sögurnar (All six Nordlond PDFs)" option (plus "The Hand of Asgard" too).

Easy question, would all 6+1 pdfs be delivered in December (all being well) - or would the 3 already released pdfs be available as soon as the Kickstarter ends?

DouglasCole 09-24-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCAR (Post 2286899)
Seriously considering getting in on this one, haven't bought any GURPS stuff in a few years now, but I've kept on eye on developments, and these viking themed books have been very tempting - and this Kickstarter may finally have done it for me with the "Allar Sögurnar (All six Nordlond PDFs)" option (plus "The Hand of Asgard" too).

Easy question, would all 6+1 pdfs be delivered in December (all being well) - or would the 3 already released pdfs be available as soon as the Kickstarter ends?

The already released PDFs will go out when the initial Backerkit phase of the project closes. (Goes and digs out projected schedule):
  • Sept 10 through Oct 12: Kickstarter Campaign Active
  • Oct 12 through (roughly) Oct 26 - Funds Settle
  • Halloween Week: Backerkit phase opens for surveys, shipping, and pre-orders
  • Mid-November: Backerkit "closes" and cards are charged
  • End November: PDF review phase[
  • Mid-December: PDF feedback due
  • Before Xmas: PDFs sent out and final files sent to printer
  • End January: Printing
  • End February: Moving books through the world
  • End March: Arrival in-hand

So mid-November is the target date for existing PDF disbursement, but if things go swimmingly, all of 'em will be ready by Xmas anyway. Two weeks is enough for 80-90% of the folks to attack and complete the survey. The remaining will usually do so by the time I really shut things down for new orders, which tends to be when I have to allocate "books that go to the UK for international distribution" and "books that come to Studio 2 for US fulfillment" out of a hoped-for print run out of Latvia. As those "stragglers" finish their surveys, they automatically get any PDFs they sign up for based on the Backerkit "distribution rules," which are things like "if the survey is completed and the order locked, send out these three files."

Dalin 10-05-2019 01:00 PM

I started a thread in the general roleplaying forum on ENWorld about this project. If anyone has an account over there, jump in and share a word. I'd love to get a conversation going to keep the thread up top. It's mostly D&D people over there, but even dedicated fans of a particular game do, occasionally, branch out if something sounds interesting enough. I'm eager to keep touting DFRPG material on any forum I can find.

DouglasCole 10-11-2019 08:04 AM

There are about 36 hours to go in the Nordlond Sagas campaign.

These are going to be really fun books, and I hope that if you're "following" the campaign, you convert to a pledge before it ends tomorrow, 10pm Central Time.

I hope to post a few excerpts from Hand of Asgard and Folk over the next few days.

DouglasCole 10-12-2019 12:05 PM

We're in the last half-day of the Nordlond Sagas campaign. We're getting a solid last-day kick, and
hHopefully it'll help push us to the stretch goals. We're maybe 45 backers short of a high quality print run, and perhaps $5,200 from the "more content" stretch goal. That's only about 90 people, so the difference between the two is not large. We also have 414 "following but not yet pledged" people . . . more than enough to*easily*hit both goals and more. So time will tell.

These books - two adventures and two character supplements, including what is basically clerical domains, but for GURPS/Dungeon Fantasy RPG in the "Hand of Asgard" supplement - are going to be very,* very fun. I won't lie: I'm particularly enthusiastic about Hand of Asgard. Clocking in at only 16 pages, Kevin Smyth has managed to get a lot of flavor in the book, and I'm having a lot of fun with layout.

Join us! It's going to be a great set of books.

evileeyore 10-12-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2290249)
We're maybe 45 backers short of a high quality print run, and perhaps $5,200 from the "more content" stretch goal.

Here's hoping we get the second stretch goal!

DouglasCole 10-29-2019 06:36 AM

If you missed the Kickstarter, or chose not to participate in the main campaign for Reasons, the pre-order store is now open on Backerkit!

b-dog 10-29-2019 08:25 AM

I have bought all the stuff so far for the Nordlandr books. I am just curious if there are plans for other stuff besides Vikings and the Norse cultures. I enjoy them but I am really much more interested in other cultures. I would love something like Arabian Nights if there is a fake Middle East in the Nordland world. Or maybe a southeast Asian area that is chock full of different religions and cultures living side by side.

evileeyore 10-29-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2292732)
If you missed the Kickstarter, or chose not to participate in the main campaign for Reasons, the pre-order store is now open on Backerkit!

That map in pdf... awww yeah!

LokRobster 10-29-2019 09:51 PM

Don’t forget the 4th new book for $13 <Hand of Asgard>

It took me a few minutes to figure out why I had kicked the extra $$ into the pledge. I knew there was a reason...

And yeah, that World map is cool, too :)

DouglasCole 11-01-2019 10:34 AM

Update #29 for Nordlond Sagas is up.

It's a bit of a status update, so ok, that's boring. But Hand of Asgard and Nordlondr Folk are starting to have their art flow in at friendly rates . . . and HoA in particular is going to be PRETTY.

There's a full-page preview of one of the pages at the update as well: The Lawgiver. Yeah, that's Totally Not Tyr. Really.

If you missed the campaign...pre-orders are open.

DouglasCole 11-03-2019 11:17 AM

For Hand of Asgard, in all cases but one I have final art; for that I have rough-color (though it's still VERY good even if the artist calls it rough).

I thought I'd share an art preview. If you like it, you can pre-order the book on Backerkit!

Anders 11-03-2019 01:30 PM

Who is the Lord of Warding based on?

DouglasCole 11-03-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 2293498)
Who is the Lord of Warding based on?

The god Lord of Warding is based on Heimdall. The image shown is a Cleric of Warding casting "Warding Dismissal," one of the new Holy abilities.

Dalin 11-03-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2293504)
The image shown is a Cleric of Warding casting "Warding Dismissal," one of the new Holy abilities.

The fact that all of this art is customized to the book is glorious.

DouglasCole 11-03-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalin (Post 2293518)
The fact that all of this art is customized to the book is glorious.

In fairness . . . I have re-used six images from other books of mine. Dragon Heresy was 288 pages long and chock full of art. Some of which GURPSy folks have seen, some of which they have not. The cover, the Allfather, the Fates, the Lawgiver, Mischief, Queen of the World, The Snow Queen, and the Valkyrie are all bespoke images for this book.

Every image on the interior for Nordlondr Folk is bespoke for the book...and they're REALLY fun.

I will have to see what wordcount and layout allow for the adventures.

b-dog 11-03-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2293504)
The god Lord of Warding is based on Heimdall. The image shown is a Cleric of Warding casting "Warding Dismissal," one of the new Holy abilities.

These adventures would have used the real names of the Norse gods but they have excellent intellectual property rights lawyers so we are stuck with vague generic names for the gods instead.

Dalin 11-03-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-dog (Post 2293526)
These adventures would have used the real names of the Norse gods but they have excellent intellectual property rights lawyers so we are stuck with vague generic names for the gods instead.

Tyr's lawyers are, indeed, hard to beat!

Personally, though, I like the generic nature of DFRPG material. It's easy enough to swap the names back. I often change many of the names in published material anyway to fit my own game worlds.

It's even possible to search-and-replace the text in a PDF so that you can have the names reflect whatever you want.

Refplace 11-04-2019 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalin (Post 2293532)
Personally, though, I like the generic nature of DFRPG material. It's easy enough to swap the names back. I often change many of the names in published material anyway to fit my own game worlds.

Good names are so hard to come up with, I have not found a generator I really like.

Anders 11-04-2019 04:24 AM

Have you looked at Kate Monk's Onomastikon?

https://tekeli.li/onomastikon/

b-dog 11-04-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refplace (Post 2293580)
Good names are so hard to come up with, I have not found a generator I really like.

Why would anyone want their PC in a Viking inspired game world to be a cleric of Thor when they can be a cleric of the god of thunder? God of thunder sounds more generic which is always better. And if Thor was named out right then there is no possible way to rename him to fit into another campaign world. A god of thunder is easily able to be renamed though. If you want all the gods in your Nordland game world to be Balinese instead of Norse you can do that if the gods are generic.

b-dog 11-04-2019 02:12 PM

I have a question as to why the book is called Hand of Asgard. Wouldn’t that evoke the impression that Thor and Odin might be the gods in there? Wouldn’t it be better to have the book named Hand of a Generic Realm of the gods that may or may not loosely resemble the Norse deities?

Harald387 11-04-2019 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalin (Post 2293532)
Tyr's lawyers are, indeed, hard to beat!

It's even possible to search-and-replace the text in a PDF so that you can have the names reflect whatever you want.

Adding to the use of generic names here: as we were in the writing process, the question came up (in a couple of places) about how the Gods of the Nine Realms are handled outside of Nordlond. As we developed things, we decided that the Aesir are the gods everywhere for this setting. In Nordlond, the Lawgiver might be known as 'Tyr' and seen as a one-handed warrior. If you go far enough south and east, that god might be called 'Maat' and seen as a winged woman who is consort to the God of Wisdom* - but it's the same deific entity, just wearing a different face.

That's not to say that it has to be that way for any given campaign; we've deliberately avoided being overly prescriptive so that the book remains useful to a broad range of campaigns both in and out of the Dungeon Fantasy RPG. This is just 'how it is in our lore' for tracking internal consistency with later supplements.

*"Isn't the Allfather married to the Queen of the World? Well, yes - but none of the Aesir are particularly good at fidelity, and Tyr and Odin were vacationing somewhere sunny, and they needed an explanation to give to that priest who walked in on them, and -- look, mortal understanding of the affairs (ha) of the gods is sometimes just a little off, okay?

martinl 11-04-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harald387 (Post 2293703)
*"Isn't the Allfather married to the Queen of the World? Well, yes - but none of the Aesir are particularly good at fidelity, and Tyr and Odin were vacationing somewhere sunny, and they needed an explanation to give to that priest who walked in on them, and -- look, mortal understanding of the affairs (ha) of the gods is sometimes just a little off, okay?

The line between theology and slash fic is a narrow one indeed sometimes...

DouglasCole 11-04-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinl (Post 2293717)
The line between theology and slash fic is a narrow one indeed sometimes...

Still one of my favorite "this line is for adults" moments in the Wonder Woman animated feature voiced by Keri Russel.

"“You think that’s bad ? Zeus used to seduce mom’s friends by turning into a swan. A swan. True story.”

martinl 11-04-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2293723)
Still one of my favorite "this line is for adults" moments in the Wonder Woman animated feature voiced by Keri Russel.

"“You think that’s bad ? Zeus used to seduce mom’s friends by turning into a swan. A swan. True story.”

Oh yeah, Zeus was way over on the slash fic side of the line a lot of the time.

Refplace 11-04-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 2293586)
Have you looked at Kate Monk's Onomastikon?

https://tekeli.li/onomastikon/

If I have its changed alot, so thank you. But I was thinking of random word generators for settings where I dont want real world names but do want a pattern.

b-dog 11-04-2019 07:21 PM

So all the different gods around the world just have different avatars in this world? Zeus is just another aspect of Odin? If this true do the people of the world know this and are they tolerant? Like a world of hippie dungeon delvers? If they don’t know this won’t there be sectarian warfare, ethnic cleansing and genocides by people who worship the same god through different avatars?

DouglasCole 11-04-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-dog (Post 2293757)
So all the different gods around the world just have different avatars in this world? Zeus is just another aspect of Odin?

Something like that.

Quote:

If this true do the people of the world know this and are they tolerant?
Are people ever?

Quote:

Like a world of hippie dungeon delvers? If they don’t know this won’t there be sectarian warfare, ethnic cleansing and genocides by people who worship the same god through different avatars?
Humans being humans, and Dungeon Fantasy worlds being full of violent confrontations as part of the expectations for the genre . . . I'd say warfare, ethnic cleansing, and other atrocities, not to mention the odd dragon, demon, terrasque, and kraken, are all around to make the world as interesting as the GM likes.

evileeyore 11-04-2019 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2293723)

Zeus even once seduced someone by raining down on them as a golden shower...

... of coins.

Dalin 11-04-2019 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harald387 (Post 2293703)
That's not to say that it has to be that way for any given campaign; we've deliberately avoided being overly prescriptive so that the book remains useful to a broad range of campaigns both in and out of the Dungeon Fantasy RPG. This is just 'how it is in our lore' for tracking internal consistency with later supplements.

Lo, how the phrase "later supplements" is poetry to mine ears...

Harald387 11-05-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-dog (Post 2293757)
So all the different gods around the world just have different avatars in this world? Zeus is just another aspect of Odin? If this true do the people of the world know this and are they tolerant? Like a world of hippie dungeon delvers? If they don’t know this won’t there be sectarian warfare, ethnic cleansing and genocides by people who worship the same god through different avatars?

Given the presence of demon-worshipers, squid cults, psychotic masked assassin death squads (who are actually demon-worshipers), fae, dragons, actual demons, savage humanoids, the occasional elder thing, and all the other literal and actual monsters there are in Nordlond and all of Dungeon Fantasy, I mostly prefer to enjoy my 'hippie religious tolerance' and keep things like 'sectarian warfare, ethnic cleansing, and genocide' out of my fun gaming time.

Your mileage may vary, but by all means start holding your breath now while you wait for 'DFRPG: The Religious Crusades'

DouglasCole 11-05-2019 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalin (Post 2293766)
Lo, how the phrase "later supplements" is poetry to mine ears...

There are several other cultures hinted at or outright named in the Nordlond background. Inthriki has a history based on Kamakura-era Japan (because there was some wild, wild 'no, really?' stuff during that period), but with a mish-mash of fantasy elements.

Morevel was based on the endless gyrations, expansions, and internal strife of the Greek city-states, and is more or less supposed to be Macedonian in character.

The Neveri clansmen that have been drawing blood and treasure from the Nordlondr southern border for the better part of 200 years are clearly a mix of Mongol, Algar (from the Belgariad), and Dothraki...

And the Cat-Folk Holy Warrior from Hall of Judgment clearly comes from a land that feels a lot like Ancient Egypt.

So there's PLENTY of other stuff out there...if folks are interested.

Dalin 11-05-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refplace (Post 2293756)
If I have its changed alot, so thank you. But I was thinking of random word generators for settings where I dont want real world names but do want a pattern.

I agree that most of the randomizers aren't great. In my old GURPS fantasy campaign, running before such things were on the internet, I used to buy old language dictionaries at used bookstores. For each major fantasy race or civilization, I would pick a language (choosing, with not much science, vaguely related languages for cultures that seemed similar). Then I would build lists of names from words in the dictionaries, often noting down the rough meaning (though I was liberal with changing spellings to fit the campaign aesthetic). As I used names, I would cross them off the lists. The prep work wasn't super fast, but it was fun and made for a passable patina of linguistic logic. The players certainly enjoyed it, and it was amusing to know that the grumpy dwarf's name (Esne Garratza) actually meant "sour milk" in Basque. With Google Translate, this goes much more quickly, thought it can be fun to just leaf through a dictionary looking for random words.

I couldn't resist this urge while designing my current DFRPG character: Zafir Abrashi, a cleric focused on spirits. The last name came from some random generator, but his first name means "exhalation" in Arabic. Since spirit comes from Latin spirare (breathe), it seemed fitting.

b-dog 11-05-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harald387 (Post 2293811)
Given the presence of demon-worshipers, squid cults, psychotic masked assassin death squads (who are actually demon-worshipers), fae, dragons, actual demons, savage humanoids, the occasional elder thing, and all the other literal and actual monsters there are in Nordlond and all of Dungeon Fantasy, I mostly prefer to enjoy my 'hippie religious tolerance' and keep things like 'sectarian warfare, ethnic cleansing, and genocide' out of my fun gaming time.

Your mileage may vary, but by all means start holding your breath now while you wait for 'DFRPG: The Religious Crusades'

I really don’t mean there needs to be Old Testament Book of Esther style genocides and massacres, I would just like a little realism in the religions. I doubt that a cleric who worships Zeus would think of Odin as being the same god. He may feel an affinity for him though as the cleric of Zeus might consider Odin to be an ally. Or maybe he wouldn’t? The idea I like is there there are factions on the good side just as there are factions on the evil side. This way it helps explain why the forces of good have not completely stamped out evil.

Dalin 11-05-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-dog (Post 2293836)
I really don’t mean there needs to be Old Testament Book of Esther style genocides and massacres, I would just like a little realism in the religions. I doubt that a cleric who worships Zeus would think of Odin as being the same god.

It depends what sort of realism you're going for. Historically, it was natural for cultures to map their gods onto the gods of other cultures that they encountered. This was commonplace in the Mediterranean (see Wikipedia), with Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Romans, and others mapping their gods onto each other (and developing new gods, like Serapis). It was even common for gods within the same general cultural region to have different aspects in different communities. If someone wanted to interact with a particular aspect, they would travel to the shrine in a community that emphasized that trait.

This sort of realism combined with the basic idea that the pantheon is universal could create fun elements in play. Perhaps a cleric of the War God in Nordlond needs to travel to a distant country to interact with a different aspect of the War God (to gain knowledge, or a new spell, or a holy artifact, etc.). The god would have a different name there with different statues and rites and whatnot, but the cleric would be fundamentally interacting with the same divinity.

Of course, in a world where the gods walk among mortals, this can get confusing and complicated... and fun! The winter snows never arrive in Nordlond. Priests of the Snow Queen are worried... she's been, er, colder than usual. The PCs are sent (because... omens!) to the distant desert land of the cat people where they must free an avatar of Sekhmet, who may be the equivalent of the Snow Queen. So many excuses to send the PCs to the far corners of the earth!

DouglasCole 11-05-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalin (Post 2293856)
It depends what sort of realism you're going for. Historically, it was natural for cultures to map their gods onto the gods of other cultures that they encountered. This was commonplace in the Mediterranean (see Wikipedia), with Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Romans, and others mapping their gods onto each other (and developing new gods, like Serapis). It was even common for gods within the same general cultural region to have different aspects in different communities. If someone wanted to interact with a particular aspect, they would travel to the shrine in a community that emphasized that trait.

This sort of realism combined with the basic idea that the pantheon is universal could create fun elements in play. Perhaps a cleric of the War God in Nordlond needs to travel to a distant country to interact with a different aspect of the War God (to gain knowledge, or a new spell, or a holy artifact, etc.). The god would have a different name there with different statues and rites and whatnot, but the cleric would be fundamentally interacting with the same divinity.

Of course, in a world where the gods walk among mortals, this can get confusing and complicated... and fun! The winter snows never arrive in Nordlond. Priests of the Snow Queen are worried... she's been, er, colder than usual. The PCs are sent (because... omens!) to the distant desert land of the cat people where they must free an avatar of Sekhmet, who may be the equivalent of the Snow Queen. So many excuses to send the PCs to the far corners of the earth!

You get it. This a million times.

b-dog 11-05-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalin (Post 2293856)

It states that in Athens they were exclusive to the Greek gods but they incorporated foreign gods into their worship. To me this sounds like the world is filled with tons of gods and people worshipped new gods from foreign lands in addition to the gods they normally worship.

As far as gaming goes, not all of the gods from one pantheon map into other pantheons. So you are stuck there is one god but depending on where this god is worshipped he behaves totally differently. Wouldn't It just be easier to have a lot of different gods in the game world? Odin and Zeus different gods and maybe if the Norse and Greek people are on friendly terms then their clerics can get along but if they are at war then Odin and Zeus are also fighting too so the clerics will be hostile.

DouglasCole 11-05-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-dog (Post 2293872)
Wouldn't It just be easier to have a lot of different gods in the game world? Odin and Zeus different gods and maybe if the Norse and Greek people are on friendly terms then their clerics can get along but if they are at war then Odin and Zeus are also fighting too so the clerics will be hostile.

Go ahead and do this in your own game. I have no plans to do it in Nordlond, which has a specific cosmology in mind that guides the writing and how things are described.

b-dog 11-05-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2293874)
Go ahead and do this in your own game. I have no plans to do it in Nordlond, which has a specific cosmology in mind that guides the writing and how things are described.

Ok. Are there any plans to include the abrahamic religions?

DouglasCole 11-05-2019 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-dog (Post 2293882)
Ok. Are there any plans to include the abrahamic religions?

No. Never. Those are explicitly monotheistic, and we've covered that - this world was created by a pantheon. Those divine entities appear to different peoples as different aspects, for reasons of their own that they know and don't share. That gives the GM lots of room to maneuver, which is super-important in a generic setting. But I'm not bringing in real-world religions, full stop. Firstly, I'm not knowledgeable enough to get them right, with proper respect. Second, that's not the point of the world.

Anders 11-06-2019 05:13 AM

If you want to know more about the Proto-Indo-European pantheon which lies behind all the Indo-European pantheons, I recommend this page and Indo-European Poetry and Myth by M.L. West.

I do not vouch for the webpage's accuracy, but it's great fodder for games.

Raekai 11-07-2019 11:46 AM

This is making me think of GURPS Cabal a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GURPS Cabal, p. 121
Virtually all the deities or deified spirits of the known world still exist within Briah [the Iconic Realm, above Yetzirah the Astral Realm]; many of them continue to interact with worshippers, if only to gain extra energy points.

This causes a problem with overlapping deity issues. To what extent are Poseidon Hippios (Poseidon Horse-Maker) and Poseidon Enosichthon (Poseidon Earth-Shaker) the “same god” as Poseidon Gaieochos (Poseidon Earth-Embracer), the “traditional” Lord of the Sea? Is Poseidon Hippios “actually” a pre-Doric horse-god of the Thessalians? Are all three of these aspects of Poseidon avatars of the same entity, and is Poseidon actually the same god as Neptune? Is he the same as Njord, the Norse sea-god? Cabalists have encountered all manner of Poseidons, and a similarly dizzying variety of other deities.

Some theopathologists suspect all of the gods (or at least all of the ones visible in Briah) to be nothing more than eidolons of the various Aethyrs; in this theory, the various Poseidons and Neptunes and so forth are all shadows of Muumiah, the Aethyr of Elemental Water. Interaction between Muumiah and other Aethyrs, or between their decans, may have “calved off” the non-watery aspects of Poseidon from the central “sea-god” concept. This theory, however, has at least as many historical and empirical holes as it does theological and philosophical ones. For now, Cabalists (and other tourists in Briah) step gingerly around anything that claims divinity – gods are notorious for their poor sense of humor and lack of perspective about such matters.

I hope that's not too much text from one book. And I know this forum is for DFRPG, but this feels entirely too fitting.

So, it seems to me that Odin and Zeus would be different interpretations of the Allfather rather than Zeus being an interpretation of Odin, and I think people would be plenty-willing to fight over who has the correct interpretation. For monotheistic religions, it's not crazy to believe that they worship the Allfather and see the other deities as angels or whatever else (and maybe the Trickster was vilified an turned into the Adversary). Or they may have folded up all of the deities and they simply perceive them as one! If certain deities don't map perfectly, it's not crazy to think that (like in the above excerpt from GURPS Cabal) that there might be two (or more!) different interpretations of a deity that cover certain aspects. It could also go the other way (like in my monotheism example) where a defining line got lost and two different deities are interpreted as one! Or where the lines got muddy, so there are two different deities, but some of their aspects got swapped. And all of them could be real, but just stepped down from their archetypal god.

EDIT: And, of course, Douglas Cole has already said some pretty similar stuff himself. Though, my main addition would be that the Allfather would never directly intervene in mortal affairs—Odin or Zeus would as particular aspects or interpretations of the Allfather.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monotheism and Competing Divinities in Norðlond
One other possibility here is that the gods themselves are real, but given form by the Will of their worshipers. This provides for all sorts of mayhem, as if (say) the Goddess of Death gets a whole lot of followers, she will eventually be supremely powerful. This starts to look like actively proselytizing competing belief systems, which of course isn’t anything our modern world has in great supply (*cough sarcasm cough*). If you want to check out a source where some of that is referenced while still feeling the viking love: read Poul Anderson’s The Broken Sword.

If you want to go all “There’s a War in Heaven,” this is probably the most self-consistent route to take. A strongly monotheistic belief could eventually “force” all of the disparate facets of a One-as-Many being into simply the One Being. If folks are worshiping only the Allfather, eventually not only will the Allfather subsume the other gods, he’ll sort of stop being the Allfather. Talk about being self-conflicted.

So, even if all deities are really "the same", there is plenty of room for conflict between differing interpretations of deities as well as between different deities themselves.

b-dog 11-07-2019 12:54 PM

Thanks. A lot of interesting stuff. But I am a simple person and I will just have my gods be unique and individual rather than saying they are just aspects of the same god. A god like Poseidon has he sphere in the divine energies of water and he would share that with Aegir but they would be separate with distinct personalities and motivations. In game terms a cleric of Poseidon who finds a holy item of Aegir can use it as long as the cleric consecrates the item first. The item would be imbued with the holy energies of water but would need to dedicate it to the correct god first. This would go for altars too.

But as is I can use the Nordlond stuff for ideas. I can just change the cosmology to suit my tastes.

Þorkell 11-07-2019 04:15 PM

I know I'm nitpicking but Ægir isn't the god of the sea.

b-dog 11-07-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Þorkell (Post 2294139)

Maybe Njord is better? In any case the point I am trying to make is that the Norse gods do not directly overlap over to the Greek gods or Egyptian gods. Each pantheon and god from the pantheon is different than other pantheons and gods of the other pantheons. Plus there are a lot of lesser gods that are unique too. So for me it is easier to just assume that each god is unique and has his own personality and story of how they came to be and what they have done and created.

Harald387 11-21-2019 10:34 PM

Beating Doug to the announcement punch, Hand of Asgard's preview PDF was released to Kickstarter Backers tonight!

Anders 11-22-2019 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Þorkell (Post 2294139)

I mean, people sacrificed to Ægir. If that makes him a god or not is a matter of definition.

DouglasCole 11-22-2019 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harald387 (Post 2296653)

I'll admit I'm excited about this book. I will likely write about why in a blog post. But the content is prime, the art is great, and it's a lot of utility in a small package.

One of the things that we're definitely finding as we do these smaller books is that the excitement level from the writers for "not only do I want to write this, I want to USE this in my games!" is pretty high.

Kevin and I are already plotting the next book.

evileeyore 11-22-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2296675)
I'll admit I'm excited about this book. I will likely write about why in a blog post. But the content is prime, the art is great, and it's a lot of utility in a small package.

This book is great, there is nothing in it I can't or won't use. In fact I'm already cribbing some things down for a Holy Warrior I'm playing...

The cover art is simply phenomenal, I love the oil painting style! The interior art, while not not "impressive", serves and fulfills its role perfectly and maintains a consistency throughout.

Quote:

Kevin and I are already plotting the next book.
Two thumbs up!

Refplace 11-22-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2296675)

I loved the preview, didn't spot any errors though one item was a bit confusing on first read. Great art (and art doesn't sell me on a book, but I do appreciate it) and each deity is well covered. I would love to see a Designers Notes on the abilities, most I figured out but a couple I'm really unsure on.
Now that I'm done reading the latest Power-Ups by Kromm I will reread it, make any edit comments I spot (if any) in the kickstarter?

For my setting I had no intention of using Norse gods but I am adding these to the setting. I have one minor quibble or suggestion if you can add it.
Give them domains or portfolios called directly out, this would work well with the Dungeon Fantasy line, specifically DF 5: Allies.
On a purely personal and selfish note that may also make importing to my setting that uses a different magic system easier.

DouglasCole 11-22-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refplace (Post 2296759)
I loved the preview, didn't spot any errors though one item was a bit confusing on first read. Great art (and art doesn't sell me on a book, but I do appreciate it) and each deity is well covered. I would love to see a Designers Notes on the abilities, most I figured out but a couple I'm really unsure on.

That'll be up to Kevin (he did all the heavy lifting there), but if he writes it, you'll find it on GB.

Quote:

Now that I'm done reading the latest Power-Ups by Kromm I will reread it, make any edit comments I spot (if any) in the kickstarter?
Best way to get me actionable feedback/proofing is 100% always email.

gamingballisticllc at gmail dot com

Quote:

For my setting I had no intention of using Norse gods but I am adding these to the setting. I have one minor quibble or suggestion if you can add it.
Give them domains or portfolios called directly out, this would work well with the Dungeon Fantasy line, specifically DF 5: Allies.
They sort of are, though? I mean, "God of Law?" "Magic, Love, and Transcendance?"

Some of them will be pretty clear, some might take some doing.

Lady of Life maps pretty directly, and Mischief is Chaos. The Allfather maps to Wisdom and War, the Lawgiver is Order and War, Death is, well, Death.

Beyond that, you will not-ever see call-outs directly to the main DF line in the licensed DFRPG products as they're published. First, that's opening a giant can of worms, and second it's not part of the license.

That being said . . . I could easily see mapping those to the DF5 domains in the same designer's notes blog post.

Quote:

On a purely personal and selfish note that may also make importing to my setting that uses a different magic system easier.
Understood: listing the gods by their domains as their titles is pretty much offering up the baton to be grabbed. It's one of the reasons I de-Norsed them to begin with. I mean, many settings have a god of storms, or thunder, or war, or the protector of mankind...and that is at least somewhat portable. Thor/Donnar . . . less so.

Refplace 11-22-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2296766)
Best way to get me actionable feedback/proofing is 100% always email.

gamingballisticllc at gmail dot com

Understood: listing the gods by their domains as their titles is pretty much offering up the baton to be grabbed. It's one of the reasons I de-Norsed them to begin with. I mean, many settings have a god of storms, or thunder, or war, or the protector of mankind...and that is at least somewhat portable. Thor/Donnar . . . less so.

Ok, sending you an email.
Yeah, that was my thought Divine Elements or portfolios can be inferred, but may not be very clear to all readers or balanced compared to others depending on readers interpretation. So my suggestion just helps it to be even more drop in ready, though it already is very good in that regard.

b-dog 11-23-2019 05:14 AM

It would be useful for me to have the Norse name of the god in parentheses beside the generic name. Also holy symbols for each go would be useful too.

Refplace 11-23-2019 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-dog (Post 2296822)
It would be useful for me to have the Norse name of the god in parentheses beside the generic name. Also holy symbols for each go would be useful too.

My best guess without cracking a book.
Allfather is Odin
Goddess of Death is Hella
The Fates are the Norns, though thats actually kind of complicated as there are other norns.
Lawgiver is Tyr
Lady of Life is Freya, less sure on this one.
God of Mischief is Loki
Queen of the World is most likely Frigga
God of Thunder is Thor
Lord of Warding sounds most like Heimdall
God of Wind and Sea is a tough one but I think kind of fits Balder

So thats 3 I'm really not sure of

DouglasCole 11-23-2019 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refplace (Post 2296829)
My best guess without cracking a book.
Allfather is Odin
Goddess of Death is Hella
The Fates are the Norns, though thats actually kind of complicated as there are other norns.
Lawgiver is Tyr
Lady of Life is Freya, less sure on this one.
God of Mischief is Loki
Queen of the World is most likely Frigga
God of Thunder is Thor
Lord of Warding sounds most like Heimdall
God of Wind and Sea is a tough one but I think kind of fits Balder

So thats 3 I'm really not sure of

Lady of life is Iduna

Wind and Sea is Njordr

Queen of the World is a combination of Frigga and Freya called Valfreya

And the Snow Queen is Skadi, who occasionally goes by Elsa because I have two daughters

Refplace 11-23-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2296830)
Lady of life is Iduna

Wind and Sea is Njordr

Queen of the World is a combination of Frigga and Freya called Valfreya

And the Snow Queen is Skadi, who occasionally goes by Elsa because I have two daughters

How could I not think of she of the Apples?! That explains the blessing.
I'd have to look up Njordr to refresh my memory. Valfreya makes sense Frigga and Freya were probably the same goddess at different stages of life.
Skadi, I barely remember, darn my Norse mythology is rusty.
Thank you.

DouglasCole 11-25-2019 08:41 PM

Nordlondr Folk has been distributed by Backerkit.

Raekai 11-25-2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2297235)
Nordlondr Folk has been distributed by Backerkit.

Page 15 has the single greatest piece of art in DFRPG that I have seen. The rest of the book is great, yes, but that art is perfect.

DouglasCole 01-12-2020 12:17 PM

The preliminary file for Forest's End, one of the two new books for the Nordlond Sagas kickstarter, has (finally) been released.

It's not the final, go-to-the-printer version. Needs a bit more artwork, the hyperlinks aren't quite all working, and it needs backers' attributions checked to make sure they appear as desired.

Also more eyes are better for "you missed a period here."

But . . . it's another positive step. So yay.

DouglasCole 03-21-2020 07:43 PM

As of today, the last of the art came in for the Norðlond Sagas books. That let me fix up the errata I've received to date, put final bar-codes on them, and get them to backers.
  • Nordlondr Folk and Hand of Asgard, both by Kevin Smyth, wound up right on target at 16 pages.
  • Forest’s End, by Merlin Avery, grew to 96 pages by the end.
  • The Dragons of Rosgarth, by Kyle Norton and Douglas H. Cole, came in totally swole at 112 pages.

I’ll be taking a short breather, seeing if my outstanding proofers catch any remaining errata, and then getting these to the printer.

I will probably offer the PDFs for sale on GURPSDay this coming week: Look for them on Gaming Ballistic on March 26 in PDF.

Pre-orders for printing will come shortly. I may open Forest’s End and Rosgarth up so that if many not-the-USA orders come in, I can compensate with a slightly larger splice of the books to the UK for international shipment. The smaller books are easy: they print at Mixam in both the UK and USA, so if I need more, it’s a piece of cake.

Anders 03-22-2020 01:57 AM

They are beautiful books. You should be proud, and so should your elves.

Tom H. 03-22-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasCole (Post 2315158)
  • The Dragons of Rosgarth, by Kyle Norton and Douglas H. Cole, came in totally swole at 112 pages.

I just downloaded The Dragons of Rosgarth PDF yesterday and briefly skimmed it.

Some of the artwork is very eye-catching.

I was especially intrigued by scene on page 15. It shows a street level glimpse into the middle of a town with several characters engaged in different activities. Especially since there are several detailed figures down an alley or street, I only wish that the image was presented on a larger portion of the page.

In fact, I just zoomed in to the image in my PDF viewer and noticed a couple of fainter figures that I hadn't initially seen. One appears to be a beggar sitting next to a stone staircase.

This instance is not nearly to the extreme, but I'm reminded of the shrunken artwork in GURPS Powers. To keep the page count from going way over, many pieces were just thumbnails.

Tom H. 03-22-2020 02:30 PM

P.S. Does anyone know which of the artists painted the piece I just referred to?

Tom H. 03-22-2020 02:37 PM

Oh wow, I was looking even more at the art on page 15 of The Dragons of Rosgarth.

There is a female mage in the foreground interacting with a crystal ball. She's definitely humanoid, but the fingers on her hand look a bit skeletal and reflective. Is that a gauntlet she's wearing, or is she some kind of necromancer with a self-inflicted, undead body part?

Fun details!

DouglasCole 03-22-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom H. (Post 2315320)
P.S. Does anyone know which of the artists painted the piece I just referred to?

That particular piece is stock art by Dean Spencer.

Just so you know, while page count is important, what mostly winds up happening is that there are particular places where text breaks naturally. This makes a "hole" in the page that you fill up.

Sometimes you get a full page worth of something, sometimes you get a thumbnail. It just depends on what the text is doing. If the page would have supported it, I'd have made that piece bigger.

Raekai 03-26-2020 07:07 AM

Like a good dice-rolling being who reviews great products and supports his hobby, I have finally done all (I think) of the DFRPG line so far (even though I'm a bit late), including all of the Norðlond Sagas books.

DouglasCole 03-26-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raekai (Post 2316087)

https://gamingballistic.com/gurpsday/

Can confirm that your blog is now repeating on the GURPSDay list!