Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Throwing Lots of Knives (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=130305)

McAllister 11-09-2014 09:39 PM

Throwing Lots of Knives
 
1. This might be a strange request, but how much would you give for an "Only during your turn" modifier on Extra Arms? I ask because I've found a situation where this would be really useful: fast-drawing and throwing as many knives as possible in a turn. Extra Attack helps with throwing more (otherwise you're limited to, what, two knives? See #2), but fast-drawing multiple knives incurs -2 per additional draw per hand, so there's a real use for additional hands. The way I see it, "Only during your turn" hands can only parry Wait attack, can't usefully carry a shield, only help during half a grapple... honestly, the best way to think of it is probably as two normal hands that just move very quickly. But you would be able to type two-handed while you used a mouse, which is pretty sweet. -25%?

1a. If you have four hands, does Dual-Weapon Attack (-4 for each attack) become Quad-Weapon Attack (-8 for each attack)? I'm not sure where this would be addressed. If it doesn't automatically, see #3.

2. Assuming I find dodging to be more useful than +1 to hit, is there any use for AoA in throwing weapons? There's really no AoA (double) or (strong) in throwing? I checked Martial Arts, it didn't mention anything. I even checked Gun Fu, but AoA (Whirlwind Attack) just expands on Spraying Fire.

3. Heroic Archer gives:
- Attack and AoA gains Aim bonus (useful for throwing knives... technically)
- Ignore Bulk during Close Combat and Move & Attack (as above)
- Halve the -6 to use Quick-Shooting Bows and Dual-Weapon Attack
- Halve the penalties to Fast-Draw from fast drawing repeatedly, from odd positions or while moving (definitely useful)

So, it's clear that Heroic Thrower would give the first, second and fourth benefits, but the third doesn't really apply. Is there any equivalent in throwing weapons? Should I take a perk that says "Can use Dual-Weapon Attack with thrown weapons using all my arms," and then Heroic Thrower can halve that penalty?

Let me know what you think.

DouglasCole 11-09-2014 09:40 PM

Re: Throwing Lots of Knives
 
Without quoting in detail, I believe Martial Arts has special rules for throwing fistfuls of shuriken that you could adopt or adapt.

McAllister 11-09-2014 09:58 PM

Re: Throwing Lots of Knives
 
It does, on page 120, but those are based on Rapid Fire, and therefore imprecise. I could use Imbuements, though, that's another way to get my RoF up...

vierasmarius 11-09-2014 10:26 PM

Re: Throwing Lots of Knives
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by McAllister (Post 1835238)
So, it's clear that Heroic Thrower would give the first, second and fourth benefits, but the third doesn't really apply. Is there any equivalent in throwing weapons? Should I take a perk that says "Can use Dual-Weapon Attack with thrown weapons using all my arms," and then Heroic Thrower can halve that penalty?

Let me know what you think.

Heroic Thrower would halve the penalty for Dual-Weapon Attack and Rapid Strike, the same as Weapon Master or Trained by a Master. Really, the only reason Heroic Archer doesn't mention Rapid Strike is that Quick-Shooting is essentially a bow-specific variant of the same mechanic.

On the subject of Extra Arms and Dual-Weapon Attack, they will help you even without a perk. Here's the relevant Kromm quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kromm (Post 1441992)
Eveything is at -4 for using multiple hands at once. You get one master hand and everything else is at -4 for the off hand. Thus, it's -4/-8/-8/-8. Anything worse and Extra Arms wouldn't be worth 10 points/level.

Treat abilities that remove these penalties normally. Those that remove the -4 for multiple hands at once cost the usual amount and remove up to -4, for at best 0/-4/-4/-4. Those that remove the -4 for off hands cost the usual amount and remove up to -4, for at best -4/-4/-4/-4. Getting both can remove all penalties.

Dual-Weapon Attack is normally -4 with the master hand, and -8 with all off-hands. Ambidexterity or Off-Hand Weapon Training removes the extra -4 for the off-hands, leaving you at -4 for all hands. Dual-Weapon Attack (perhaps better named Multi-Weapon Attack) can remove the remaining -4. Weapon Master et al halve the DWA penalty, but not the off-hand penalty; with just WM you'd be at -2/-6.

I have to say, I never considered using Extra Arms to represent superior coordination with the normal number of limbs. It's a pretty cool idea, and as you see can be very effective combined with certain techniques.

roguebfl 11-09-2014 10:44 PM

Re: Throwing Lots of Knives
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by McAllister (Post 1835246)
It does, on page 120, but those are based on Rapid Fire, and therefore imprecise. I could use Imbuements, though, that's another way to get my RoF up...

The Rules I remember were not Rapid Fire based but an rules exception for stacking Rapid Strike (something totally differer) and Dual Weapon Attack and had nothing to do with inaccuracy.

and Rapid Strike if you already have Weapon Master(Knife) can be expanded past -3/-3 to -6/-6/-6 or -9/-9/-9/-9 and so on... hence the higher your skill with thrown knives the more attacks you could throw

McAllister 11-10-2014 12:03 AM

Re: Throwing Lots of Knives
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vierasmarius (Post 1835259)
I have to say, I never considered using Extra Arms to represent superior coordination with the normal number of limbs. It's a pretty cool idea, and as you see can be very effective combined with certain techniques.

Thanks for the quote and the praise. I can't wait for them to publish GURPS So Sayeth the Kromm, the Krommpendium of Kromm posts. It would be an entire book full of... *puts on sunglasses* ... Punch lines.

Flyndaran 11-10-2014 02:20 AM

Re: Throwing Lots of Knives
 
Extra Arms: weapon mount keeps the cost down if they're only going to be used for weapons.

McAllister 11-10-2014 09:07 AM

Re: Throwing Lots of Knives
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyndaran (Post 1835290)
Extra Arms: weapon mount keeps the cost down if they're only going to be used for weapons.

That's brilliant... I have a nagging suspicion that Weapon Mounts can't draw knives, but with Quick Swap I should be able to find a way to make it work.

Flyndaran 11-10-2014 09:11 AM

Re: Throwing Lots of Knives
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by McAllister (Post 1835392)
That's brilliant... I have a nagging suspicion that Weapon Mounts can't draw knives, but with Quick Swap I should be able to find a way to make it work.

It might be a round hole for your square peg, but close enough, I think.

McAllister 11-10-2014 11:37 AM

Re: Throwing Lots of Knives
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyndaran (Post 1835396)
It might be a round hole for your square peg, but close enough, I think.

It's a neat hole. I'll just rustle up some more pegs.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.