Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Casting time of missile spell scrolls (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=155031)

ArchonShiva 01-23-2018 02:57 PM

Casting time of missile spell scrolls

If I buy a charged scroll of fireball (6FP), for $120, what is casting time for it? 2 seconds? (Magery 6) 4 seconds? (Magery 3) 12 seconds? (Magery 1)

What about an 18d scroll? Can a scroll of fireball 24d even be made?

sir_pudding 01-23-2018 03:17 PM

Re: Casting time of missile spell scrolls

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchonShiva (Post 2152520)
If I buy a charged scroll of fireball (6FP), for $120, what is casting time for it? 2 seconds? (Magery 6) 4 seconds? (Magery 3) 12 seconds? (Magery 1)

The obvious answer is "based on your Magery". For universal charged scrolls that's probably the minimum Magery needed to cast the spell at all.

Although I am not sure that enlarging it should take doubled time, since that isn't casting.

ArchonShiva 01-23-2018 03:24 PM

Scrolls probably arenít based on your Magery because they donít have Magery requirements. Would you say some scrolls take longer for some casters? That you could conceivably enlarge an 18d missile for more than three seconds if you have Magery 1? Thatíd be an entirely new rule, no?

sir_pudding 01-23-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchonShiva (Post 2152534)
Scrolls probably aren’t based on your Magery because they don’t have Magery requirements.

Wizardly scrolls do.

Casting an uncharged wizardry scroll of Fireball cleary uses your Magery level. So a charged wizardry scroll probably does too.

An uncharged universal scroll would need something to determine the amount you can put into it and the minimum makes the most sense and is consistent with other rules.

Charged scrolls probably should work the same way as the uncharged scrolls, since the only difference is that they include the cost.
Quote:

Would you say some scrolls take longer for some casters? That you could conceivably enlarge an 18d missile for more than three seconds if you have Magery 1? That’d be an entirely new rule, no?
Enlarging isn't casting, you cast a missile spell in your hand (that's when you roll) and then optionally enlarge it for up to two additional turns). So casting would take the same time regardless (two seconds with a scroll).

ArchonShiva 01-24-2018 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_pudding (Post 2152538)
Wizardly scrolls do.

Casting an uncharged wizardry scroll of Fireball cleary uses your Magery level. So a charged wizardry scroll probably does too.

An uncharged universal scroll would need something to determine the amount you can put into it and the minimum makes the most sense and is consistent with other rules.

Charged scrolls probably should work the same way as the uncharged scrolls, since the only difference is that they include the cost.

Enlarging isn't casting, you cast a missile spell in your hand (that's when you roll) and then optionally enlarge it for up to two additional turns). So casting would take the same time regardless (two seconds with a scroll).

Since casting isn't enlarging, I would say that charged scrolls can only be for 1-3 or 2-6 for explosive missiles.

Magery 1, 18 FP scroll of fireball (18d damage). Cast for two seconds, get 1d missile. Then you need to enlarge it for 17 seconds, no? (charged or not, your answer may differ)

sir_pudding 01-24-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchonShiva (Post 2152651)
Magery 1, 18 FP scroll of fireball (18d damage). Cast for two seconds, get 1d missile. Then you need to enlarge it for 17 seconds, no? (charged or not, your answer may differ)

You can't enlarge it for 17 turns, that's not how missile spells work.

Anthony 01-24-2018 12:20 PM

There's also a problem with casting missile spells from scrolls: the missile appears in your hand while you're building it up, not at the end of casting. This is a problem if you're using two hands to hold the scroll...

sir_pudding 01-24-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 2152750)
There's also a problem with casting missile spells from scrolls: the missile appears in your hand while you're building it up, not at the end of casting. This is a problem if you're using two hands to hold the scroll...

You cast it (and roll) on the first turn, so I don't see a problem:
Turn 1: Concentrate (Read Scroll)
Turn 2: Concentrate (Scroll vanishes, roll to cast, missile appears in hand)
Turn 3: Concentrate to enlarge or Attack to throw.
Turn 4: Concentrate to enlarge or Attack to Throw
Turn 5+: Attack to throw (or hold and do something else).

Edit: I think a charged scroll's charge should therefore only apply to the casting, not enlarging, and probably should be limited to Magery 6 casting. Casters with their own appropriate Talent can then enlarge it up to Talent each turn, casters without (and using a universal scroll) can't enlarge it at all.

sir_pudding 01-24-2018 04:13 PM

So to get back to the OP
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchonShiva (Post 2152520)

Two seconds to cast. It is normally one and scrolls double casting time.

Quote:

Magery maxes at six, so neither of these are things.

ArchonShiva 01-24-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_pudding (Post 2152834)
Magery maxes at six, so neither of these are things.

Three seconds of Magery 6 sounds like an 18d fireball to me... What fireball size do *you* get?