Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   "Inflicting" Serendipity (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=152579)

Anthony 11-01-2017 03:26 PM

Re: "Inflicting" Serendipity

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanMikal (Post 2132413)
I'm not seeing where Afflication is temporary. Can you point that out to me?

It's a bit odd how duration is worded, but I assume the intent is that always on advantages also last for 1 minute per degree of failure.

JanMikal 11-01-2017 03:27 PM

It says:

"Advantages that can be switched on
and off (such as Insubstantiality) are
automatically “on” for one minute per
point by which the victim fails his HT
roll, and are not under the subject’s
control."

Serendipity isn't a 'switchable' type of advantage.

sir_pudding 11-01-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanMikal (Post 2132418)
It says:

control."

Serendipity isn't a 'switchable' type of advantage.

Does it really make sense that you could afflict permanent advantages for cheaper than just buying them?

JanMikal 11-01-2017 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_pudding (Post 2132419)
Does it really make sense that you could afflict permanent advantages for cheaper than just buying them?

Do you need to be so flaining condescending? No, it doesn't make sense. That's why I came to the community for help.

Anthony 11-01-2017 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanMikal (Post 2132420)
Do you need to be so flaining condescending? No, it doesn't make sense. That's why I came to the community for help.

Assume that the text for switchable also applies to permanent effects.

JanMikal 11-01-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 2132423)
Assume that the text for switchable also applies to permanent effects.

Heh, I think most of us know better than to assume anything about this system.

sir_pudding 11-01-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanMikal (Post 2132420)

I wasn't trying to be condensending. I was just asking a question in the hopes of helping you. I am sorry for coming across that way.

It lasts either for minutes per margin of success (as a benediction) or gives a use per level for that session. The advantage of the former is you can afflict it again in the same session. This is how it works. If you don't believe us then maybe you should PM Kromm.

Kelly Pedersen 11-01-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanMikal (Post 2132418)
It says:

control."

The full quote is "Advantages with instantaneous effects affect the target once, as soon as he is hit, if he fails his HT roll; ... Advantages that can be switched on and off... are automatically “on” for one minute per point by which the victim fails his HT roll..."

Serendipity isn't a switchable ability, it's one that has an "instantaneous" effect - you get one burst of good luck, then it's done. This is the default. It has been clarified that you can use Affliction to give people advantages under their control, but in that case, they have to pay all costs associated with the ability, and are limited by it normally. In this case, you're effectively giving someone the ability to use Serendipity constantly, rather than a one-off use of it, but that means it's subject to the usual limitations of Serendipity - they can only benefit from it once per session per level. That's why my build suggested limiting it so it was under the GM's control - normally, the player with Serendipity can request a lucky break when they need it, whereas this version is much more chancy.

JanMikal 11-01-2017 03:45 PM

Oh, I believe you. It just wasn't in the text, and I just wanted to get the Word of God (or at least the Word of Community) on it before I merrily went on my way and gave another player a permanent advantage for free.

So a different question, then. Let's say the subject knows it's coming, and knows what it is, and *chooses* not to make a resistance roll, because they WANT to be 'inflicted' with Serendipity. How long does it last then?

sir_pudding 11-01-2017 03:47 PM

That uses the rules for beneficial afflictions.