Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Guidelines regarding thread names and tags (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=58940)

hal 06-18-2009 10:36 AM

Re: Standardizing the tags nomenclature for the GURPS subforum . . .

If I might be so bold as to suggest?

Since this thread has pretty much expanded to multiple pages, and the first post is going to be the first thing most people new to the thread might see, might I suggest an actual "standardization of tags" post, that lists each of the tags with their suggested topic associated with them?

This way, someone can see "sci-fi" or scifi and know it is a science fiction based tag, while someone else can see that they don't need to use "science fiction" as the tag itself. By having the standardized list, people can at least attempt to use the standards and take it from there.

So, suggestion is to go back and edit post #1 of this thread to include the standardized tags and their associated meanings.

vicky_molokh 06-18-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal (Post 807602)
If I might be so bold as to suggest?

Since this thread has pretty much expanded to multiple pages, and the first post is going to be the first thing most people new to the thread might see, might I suggest an actual "standardization of tags" post, that lists each of the tags with their suggested topic associated with them?

This way, someone can see "sci-fi" or scifi and know it is a science fiction based tag, while someone else can see that they don't need to use "science fiction" as the tag itself. By having the standardized list, people can at least attempt to use the standards and take it from there.

So, suggestion is to go back and edit post #1 of this thread to include the standardized tags and their associated meanings.

Ahem, that's how it is. The most relevant ones, anyway.

Ragitsu 07-01-2009 09:25 PM

I see that "q&a" is gaining prominence.

vicky_molokh 07-02-2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragitsu (Post 814345)
I see that "q&a" is gaining prominence.

But not meaningfulness. IIRC it is nerdvanna's tag (I once thought it was yours, though). I have no idea what it should help us find, since most threads have both some questions and some answers . . .

dataweaver 07-04-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molokh (Post 795161)
  • If it concerns issues that are mostly relevant in the context of a single book, use the book's official name, without GURPS. E.g. 'spaceships', 'mass combat', 'fantasy' etc.

What about books in a series? e.g., "GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements" or "GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 3: The Next Level"? I'd like to just say "imbuements" for the first one, or maybe "power-ups" (or "pu") and "imbuements" as separate tags.

Also, could you include a list of common abbreviations in the first post here, so that newcomers can determine what things like "df", "ss", and "pu" stand for?

vicky_molokh 07-04-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataweaver (Post 815315)
What about books in a series? e.g., "GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements" or "GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 3: The Next Level"? I'd like to just say "imbuements" for the first one, or maybe "power-ups" (or "pu") and "imbuements" as separate tags.

Also, could you include a list of common abbreviations in the first post here, so that newcomers can determine what things like "df", "ss", and "pu" stand for?

You can't write 'pu', as that is a two-letter tag. 'Imbuements' sounds fine, as does 'dungeon fantasy' + 'the next level'.

As for abbreviations, they're in the abbreviation thread at the sticky top of the subforum.

Sam Baughn 07-16-2009 09:07 AM

What would be the correct set of tags for a magical style write-up? There doesn't seem to be an existing tag for magical styles. Should it be 'magical styles', 'thaumatology: magical styles' or what?

vicky_molokh 07-16-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfect Organism (Post 820445)
What would be the correct set of tags for a magical style write-up? There doesn't seem to be an existing tag for magical styles. Should it be 'magical styles', 'thaumatology: magical styles' or what?

The former, because the latter is too long (might hit the char limit).

PK 04-25-2011 09:51 PM

For the record, I just fixed a few "rpm" tags on threads to "ritual path magic" instead. Similarly, since two-letter tags are not supported, and "monster hunters" is already in use on several threads, I'd prefer to see that used instead of "MH_" or "[MH]" or any such odd tag. There's really no reason not to spell things out, after all.

(And note that there should be no issues with tagging threads related to the new Monster Hunters series versus tagging those related to the older Loadouts: Monster Hunters book -- because the latter was a spiritual successor to, and is more-or-less compatible with, the former.)

Agemegos 07-31-2014 10:40 PM

Re: Guidelines regarding thread names and tags

I see that we have both "sci-fi" and "sci fi" among our tags, an inconsistency for which I was as much responsible as anyone. "sci-fi" was rather more common, so I have replaced "sci fi" wherever I had added it.