Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   The Fantasy Trip: House Rules (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Limb Strength Scaling (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=170513)

David Bofinger 10-02-2020 07:13 PM

Limb Strength Scaling

Large figures like centaurs and octopuses have large ST and also lots of limbs. Arguably they should have a smaller ST when they try to do something with their limbs.

Suggestion: instead of using the full ST, use 4 * ST / (number of limbs), round off, round halves down. Examples:
  • An octopus of ST about 20 can use weapons of ST about 10. This is a pretty radical devaluation of the octopus but to me it feels more realistic.
  • A starting PC centaur of ST 14 to 16 can use weapons of ST 9 to 11. The starting centaur is presumably on the weedy side so this doesn't bother me that much.
Maybe this has already been thoroughly discussed.

hcobb 10-02-2020 09:05 PM

Re: Limb Strength Scaling

Gargoyles are also six-limbed, and whataboutism the 5-limb reptile people?

TippetsTX 10-02-2020 09:34 PM

I can see carving out a special ST exception for octopi (on land, of course), but this seems unnecessary for any other race. Besides, centaurs need the reach provided by two-handed weapons.

David Bofinger 10-09-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcobb (Post 2346660)
Gargoyles are also six-limbed, and whataboutism the 5-limb reptile people?

By all means apply the rule to them as well.

David Bofinger 10-09-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TippetsTX (Post 2346671)
I can see carving out a special ST exception for octopi (on land, of course), but this seems unnecessary for any other race.

Maybe not as critical to do it in those cases, but I think useful. And in any case probably better to have a general rule than a special exception.

A centaur whose torso is built like that of a ST 10 human really ought to be (a) capable of wielding a sword much like an ST 10 human and (b) stronger than ST 10 for other purposes.

Quote:

Besides, centaurs need the reach provided by two-handed weapons.
I don't understand this. I mean, everyone *likes* having more reach, but why do they deserve/need it more than anyone else?

JimmyPlenty 10-09-2020 11:34 PM

I do like the idea of Octopi not always wielding a great axe just because they can. They are scary enough with three arms and extra hit points.

Terquem 10-11-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty (Post 2347699)
I do like the idea of Octopi not always wielding a great axe just because they can. They are scary enough with three arms and extra hit points.

What are these Hit Points you speak of... just kidding

But I also agree that the more explanations for why things are different and can be changed up to make an adventure a little bit different are always a good thing

hcobb 10-11-2020 11:54 AM

"It's a seven hex dragon, with cesti."