Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Where to Find 'Miss by 1 hits' Rules? (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=81144)

RobKamm 07-01-2011 01:52 PM

Re: Where to Find 'Miss by 1 hits' Rules?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vierasmarius (Post 1204046)
On a related tangent, if you aim at the Vitals but miss by one, hitting the torso, would you then roll for the 1-in-6 chance of hitting the vitals anyways?

I would rule no. Because we already know that the vitals were missed (by one, but a miss). Besides, doing otherwise would be double-dipping.

Captain Joy 07-01-2011 05:35 PM

Re: Where to Find 'Miss by 1 hits' Rules?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vierasmarius (Post 1204046)
On a related tangent, if you aim at the Vitals but miss by one, hitting the torso, would you then roll for the 1-in-6 chance of hitting the vitals anyways?

If is was a player, and they thought to ask, I'd probably roll my eyes, shake my head disapprovingly, and then say "Go ahead." Then, when they accuse me of being stingy later, I can reference this act of benevolence. :)

Also, targeting the vitals is at a -3 compared to the torso. I'd be cool with a miss by 2 still hitting the torso, instead of just a miss by 1; the add-on, 1-in-6 (i.e. 12%) chance basically handles this.

Crakkerjakk 07-02-2011 11:18 AM

Re: Where to Find 'Miss by 1 hits' Rules?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobKamm (Post 1204406)
I would rule no. Because we already know that the vitals were missed (by one, but a miss). Besides, doing otherwise would be double-dipping.

Agreed. If you missed the Vitals, that means you don't have a chance of randomly hitting it if you only missed by a little. Because you still missed the Vitals.

Captain Joy 07-02-2011 01:38 PM

Re: Where to Find 'Miss by 1 hits' Rules?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk (Post 1204799)
Agreed. If you missed the Vitals, that means you don't have a chance of randomly hitting it if you only missed by a little. Because you still missed the Vitals.

This makes logical sense if the "miss" means your shot was inaccurate as opposed to imprecise. A miss by one can simply mean you didn't get your shot zeroed in as well as you'd have liked. Or, you were aiming for the heart, but hit a lung instead.

Most people aim for the center of mass of their target, i.e. the torso. Let's crunch some numbers:

Skil 10
Code:

Target  Torso Hit  Vitals Hit  Sum    Notes
------  ---------  ----------  -----  -----
Torso    41.7%      8.3%        50.0%  1 in 6 chance of hitting vitals
Vitals    9.7%      16.2%        25.9%  on miss by 1 torso still hit
Vitals    8.1%      17.8%        25.9%  miss by 1 -- get 1 in 6 on vitals

Skil 15
Code:

arget  Torso Hit  Vitals Hit  Sum    Notes
------  ---------  ----------  -----  -----
Torso    79.5%      15.9%        95.4%  1 in 6 chance of hitting vitals
Vitals    9.4%      74.1%        83.5%  on miss by 1 torso still hit
Vitals    7.8%      75.7%        83.5%  miss by 1 -- get 1 in 6 on vitals

Allowing the extra dice roll to hit the vitals on a miss by one amounts to a <2% bump. (The most it could ever be is 2.1%.) Also, since targeting the vitals makes you 24% less likely to hit anything at skill-10 level, I'm inclined to err on the side of giving the attacker a break.

hal 07-03-2011 08:42 PM

Re: Where to Find 'Miss by 1 hits' Rules?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Joy (Post 1204502)
If is was a player, and they thought to ask, I'd probably roll my eyes, shake my head disapprovingly, and then say "Go ahead." Then, when they accuse me of being stingy later, I can reference this act of benevolence. :)

Also, targeting the vitals is at a -3 compared to the torso. I'd be cool with a miss by 2 still hitting the torso, instead of just a miss by 1; the add-on, 1-in-6 (i.e. 12%) chance basically handles this.

The real problem with such benevolence is...

What is good for the goose is good for the gander as they say. When an NPC does this to a player character, they can't claim "no fair! That's double dipping!" Talk about EVIL!

LOL


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.