Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Ogre and G.E.V. (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OGRE needs YOU: Worldwide MIB (Volunteers) Recruitment Drive (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=92869)

Talorien 06-20-2012 10:27 AM

OGRE needs YOU: Worldwide MIB (Volunteers) Recruitment Drive

Hi everyone,

Further to my earlier post re UK MIBs, we're starting a worldwide recruitment drive for Ogre volunteers for our (wo)Men in Black (MIB) program.

This is great news, because it means we're getting things in place to roll out support for Ogre, when it hits the shelves next January. That huge Kickstarter campaign made all the difference!

We are doing some UK/Europe based prelaunch convention appearances this Summer/Fall and have a special need for UK/Germany MIBs, as soon as possible.

(Why the UK? Primarily because I'm over here, and it's a great opportunity to give this part of the Combine some love :)

We also need MIBs who know Ogre to... wait for it... link up with other MIBs in your area at cons, and teach them how to play Ogre! This is to help prepare them for the big 2013 launch.

You can sign up here:

http://www.sjgames.com/mib/mibjoin.html

Some extra guidelines:

- we expect MIBs to (eventually) be able to demo more than one SJG product. However, one core product is OK for MIBs new to the program, so don't let that stop you.

- MIBing is not about so much about getting rare goodies from SJG, but about the excitement and joy of being part of something bigger than ourselves - being a vital and connected team member for Ogre's big relaunch. Though (*whistle*) you probably WILL have the opportunity to get some sneak previews and other rare goodies :P

Whitestreak 06-20-2012 11:03 AM

Re: OGRE needs YOU: Worldwide MIB (Volunteers) Recruitment Drive

Email sent to regional director - now to wait (luckily, I'm a Kickstarter, so I should get my game early, right?)

mmacmartin 06-20-2012 12:34 PM

My girlfriend and I were looking at getting a table or two at next year's CanGames (Ottawa, ON local convention) and possibly Ottawa Comic-Con (if doable and if it still exists next year :p) to do a "come-and-play" for Ogre.

I may be new to Ogre, but I'm really highly enthusiastic about it ^_^. Also helpful: there's several (!) game stores here in Ottawa that are happy to host demos and such.

However, all that said: I can't do much travel /beyond/ Ottawa, so I may not be a good choice (ah well).

[edit]Oh, right, and I'm new to these here boards. Hi![/edit]

DSumner 06-20-2012 01:31 PM

Okay you got me on this one, I'll be shooting the regional director an email in a bit.

Talorien 06-21-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitestreak (Post 1395960)
Email sent to regional director - now to wait (luckily, I'm a Kickstarter, so I should get my game early, right?)

Yes, sir, you should :)

Talorien 06-21-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmacmartin (Post 1396002)
My girlfriend and I were looking at getting a table or two at next year's CanGames (Ottawa, ON local convention)

You do realise that 'My girlfriend goes to cons with me and plays Ogre and is wildly enthusiastic' has caused the rest of us everywhere to weep and gnash our teeth in complete and utter jealousy, right? ;)

Quote:

and possibly Ottawa Comic-Con (if doable and if it still exists next year :p) to do a "come-and-play" for Ogre.

Outstanding! We need to clone guys like you two...

Quote:

I may be new to Ogre, but I'm really highly enthusiastic about it ^_^. Also helpful: there's several (!) game stores here in Ottawa that are happy to host demos and such.

However, all that said: I can't do much travel /beyond/ Ottawa, so I may not be a good choice (ah well).

But... your local knowledge of Ottawa, coupled with your energy and enthusiasm, is precisely what makes you so valuable as a volunteer.

You know stuff that us staffers sitting at SJG HQ don't -- what is going on on the ground, in your area :P

Quote:

[edit]Oh, right, and I'm new to these here boards. Hi![/edit]

A warm welcome to the boards, mmacmartin! We hope you'll have a long, happy stay here :)

Talorien 06-21-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSumner (Post 1396031)
Okay you got me on this one, I'll be shooting the regional director an email in a bit.

I know you're a long-established presence on these boards, so this brings a smile to my heart. Thanks for signing up :)

CombineGeneral 06-21-2012 04:30 PM

I was a MiB years ago but went inactive when OGRE did - I fired off an email about "re-enlisting". It's a great program and it's fun teaching games to others. If there's room in upstate NY, I'd be interested.

I am also a 'Kickstarter' for the new OGRE and can't wait for it to arrive - hopefully in time for Xmas, my birthday (1/18) at the latest!

Greyhawk Grognard 06-21-2012 04:31 PM

My inquiry went out this morning!

Joe / GG
http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com

Whitestreak 06-21-2012 09:11 PM

So, how long should we wait before contacting MIB central?

No response as yet - and considering how far down the road this is, I'm not going to worry.

I'm in a similar situation to mmacmartin in that I won't be doing much, if anything, outside of northern California. Sadly, my FLGS doesn't have gaming or demo space, but the owner is a strong supporter of the forthcoming version of Ogre.

GypsyComet 06-22-2012 01:17 AM

Another OGRE guy in Northern California, eh? I suspect you'll get takers in the Sac area, as there are a number of old school guys in the area.

Qthulhu 06-22-2012 04:39 AM

I might have joined the UK one, because I definitely have one convention coming up that I have a table at, but I have zero tolerance for Munchkin which means I cannot fulfil the duties of the post.

Ohhhh welllllll.

Luck to everyone else though, hope your cons go well.

D351 06-22-2012 05:25 AM

I'm in Savannah, GA and I just sent my email.

offsides 06-22-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qthulhu (Post 1397030)
I might have joined the UK one, because I definitely have one convention coming up that I have a table at, but I have zero tolerance for Munchkin which means I cannot fulfil the duties of the post.

Ohhhh welllllll.

Munchkin is NOT a requirement of being a MIB - there are other SJ games that are considered core products which would qualify in addition to Ogre. If you're really interested and Munchkin is the only thing stopping you, it won't hurt you to send off an email and ask more questions. We also don't forcibly recruit, so if you changed your mind after learning more you could always walk away (though we might have to mindwipe you first, of course :P).

I will admit that you are likely to be on the fringe of the MIB program if you don't do Munchkin and have no interest in it, but I suspect once Ogre hits the shelves you might have some more company...

Talorien 06-22-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qthulhu (Post 1397030)

Ohhhh welllllll.

Hi Qthulhu, which con will you be at and what event are you running? That's great news!

You might want to check with your Regional Director (Frank Carver, frank@efsol.com) re signing up for MIB.

If I'm not wrong, Cthulhu Dice, Zombie Dice, GURPs, Powered by GURPs, Illuminati, Chez and Revolution are all fine as 'other' products besides Ogre.

So you don't have to do Munchkin, I think (other MIBs in your area can cover it).

We really need UK Ogre MIBs right now...

Talorien 06-22-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D351 (Post 1397041)
I'm in Savannah, GA and I just sent my email.

Another longtime forum regular signup -- you are guys are awesome :)

TekChef 06-22-2012 08:35 AM

Being I am a newly joined up MIB, I am looking foward to demo-ing and teaching Ogre when it comes out.

I am going to be playing a few games today with a friend to get a small Ogre fix in the meantime.

MIB 9966 06-22-2012 11:59 AM

For the record, at least in the Northeast US, you get my interest faster by telling me several other games you are interested in.

Munchkin is well represented so far, and most people apply due to Munchkin, but there are so many other games in the catalog that we support, showing me that you are at least passingly familiar with the other games makes you potentially more valuable to stores and conventions who would love to show off more than a line of games that does a good job selling itself. Helping give more publicity for games like Revolution or Illuminati (and Ogre!) is a good thing! :)

Talorien 06-22-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CombineGeneral (Post 1396735)
I was a MiB years ago but went inactive when OGRE did - I fired off an email about "re-enlisting". It's a great program and it's fun teaching games to others. If there's room in upstate NY, I'd be interested.

I am also a 'Kickstarter' for the new OGRE and can't wait for it to arrive - hopefully in time for Xmas, my birthday (1/18) at the latest!

CombineGeneral, I suspect you might not be the only one. Thanks for re-enlisting... hopefully we'll get a couple of 'second tour of duty' folks like you.

I'm afraid Xmas is most likely not going to happen, though we can keep fingers crossed (UK expression, dunno if you have that one in the US) for a BIG birthday present on 1/18...

Buzzardo 06-23-2012 01:42 PM

I have two related ideas in this vein:
  1. Should this thread be sticky?
  2. Should we have another sticky thread wherein folks can announce their Ogre convention activities?

I'm just thinking that this kind of information should be prominent, and sticky threads would do that.

Luke Bunyip 06-23-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talorien (Post 1395946)
...we're starting a worldwide recruitment drive for Ogre volunteers for our (wo)Men in Black (MIB) program.

Australia?

Greyhawk Grognard 06-23-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIB 9966 (Post 1397173)
For the record, at least in the Northeast US, you get my interest faster by telling me several other games you are interested in.

Munchkin is well represented so far, and most people apply due to Munchkin, but there are so many other games in the catalog that we support, showing me that you are at least passingly familiar with the other games makes you potentially more valuable to stores and conventions who would love to show off more than a line of games that does a good job selling itself. Helping give more publicity for games like Revolution or Illuminati (and Ogre!) is a good thing! :)

I've been playing these:

Ogre
Illuminati
Car Wars

Since the 1980's. Been experiencing something of an Ogre revival in my local gaming circle and at the local cons. If I could lay my hands on Car Wars again, I'd doubtless be able to expand the circle.

Unfortunately, no Munchkin for me. Never played it.

Joe / GG
http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com

Talorien 06-24-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitestreak (Post 1396920)
So, how long should we wait before contacting MIB central?

Thanks for signing up, Whitestreak.

As long as you've checked that you've gotten your Regional Director's email address correct, you can probably assume that they've received your message and are either taking the relevant action or waiting on something from MIB Command.

So I wouldn't worry too much if it takes a little while before they get back to you.

Talorien 06-24-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip (Post 1397794)
Australia?

Hi Luke, thanks for your interest.

I'm not sure about the status of Australia/NZ, but you could try contacting Karen Arbel, the Regional Director for the 'Everything Else' territory. (stormsylver@gmail.com).

Buzzardo 06-27-2012 10:25 AM

No more volunteers? Surely you want to be cannon-fodder - errr, ummm, serve gloriously! - on the battlefield of tomorrow! :)

Guy Macon 07-02-2012 02:55 PM

How are you set for MIB Volunteers in Southern California?

Whitestreak 07-02-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Macon (Post 1401902)
How are you set for MIB Volunteers in Southern California?

If the (lack of) response, in my offer to help in northern California, is any indication, they're swarming with MIB.

Sinkuu 07-03-2012 07:36 AM

any concerns as to whether you are needed or not, you can email the appropriate person on this list:

http://www.sjgames.com/mib/rdlist.html

Talorien 07-03-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitestreak (Post 1401921)
If the (lack of) response, in my offer to help in northern California, is any indication, they're swarming with MIB.

Hi Whitestreak,

I'm sure your Regional Director will get back to you -- we're currently sorting out when exactly to phase in Ogre MIBs (which has to do with when demo sets will be ready!). But we wanted to get the announcement up early, in the wake of the Kickstarter campaign. Thanks for your patience.

Best,
Tal

ScarecrowKing 07-03-2012 09:12 PM

Looks like I might be joining the MIB ranks soon. Got my application approved and have sent in my info. Woohoo!

-Brian

Talorien 07-04-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScarecrowKing (Post 1402706)
Looks like I might be joining the MIB ranks soon. Got my application approved and have sent in my info. Woohoo!

-Brian

Congrats Brian!

It totally warms my heart to think there'll be a new wave of Ogre MIBs like you in the not too distant future :)

Best,
Tal

GranitePenguin 09-17-2012 12:25 PM

Somehow I missed this one (could be my aversion to the computer after being glued to it for the kickstarter).

Just emailed my regional MIB :-)

Talorien 09-18-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coriolanus (Post 1444390)
Somehow I missed this one (could be my aversion to the computer after being glued to it for the kickstarter).

Just emailed my regional MIB :-)

Great!

Heh, I did think that you went a bit quiet after the Kickstarter ended :P

GranitePenguin 09-18-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talorien (Post 1444747)
Great!

Heh, I did think that you went a bit quiet after the Kickstarter ended :P

You aren't suggesting that I was chatty and over-eager, are you? :-)

I think it's time for a new revision of the Ogre geek code block.

Talorien 09-20-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coriolanus (Post 1444839)
You aren't suggesting that I was chatty and over-eager, are you? :-)

Heheh... nah, you just sort of disappeared from here and BGG for a while...

GranitePenguin 10-01-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talorien (Post 1445928)
Heheh... nah, you just sort of disappeared from here and BGG for a while...

Well, I've really gone and done it now. Time to start dusting off those old brain cells. :-)

Ashley 10-02-2012 04:28 AM

Got my email confirming my (wo)MiB status...

Joy I think!

Talorien 10-02-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashley (Post 1452621)

Joy I think!

Congrats Ashley!

GranitePenguin 10-02-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Joy I think!

Yay! Of course it's Joy. I know I'm excited to get started, too. :-)

gev 10-03-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Joy I think!

awesome!
I was tempted to apply, but I'm waaaay too slack and snarky.

Whitestreak 10-03-2012 08:55 PM

*sigh*

I'm going to guess that I'm not going to make it as an MIB.

A few months ago, the regional director contacted me, I replied, there was a minor attempt to arrange a Skype call with no further action.

I think I'll be a MIG, instead - Man in Gray. I'll support Ogre as much as I can, drum up as much interest as I can, hopefully run a few demo's at stores or Con Quest, but it'll be completely unofficial.

jfleisher 10-03-2012 09:12 PM

At least you heard back, I've sent a couple of applications in and all I got was silence...

FireHorse 10-03-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfleisher (Post 1453612)
At least you heard back, I've sent a couple of applications in and all I got was silence...

Ditto. Same region, too. {cough} Maybe our Regional Director needs a nudge? {cough}

Qthulhu 10-09-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitestreak (Post 1453604)
... I think I'll be a MIG, instead - Man in Gray. I'll support Ogre as much as I can, drum up as much interest as I can, hopefully run a few demo's at stores or Con Quest, but it'll be completely unofficial.

I like the sound of this. Can I join?

Whitestreak 10-09-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qthulhu (Post 1455995)
I like the sound of this. Can I join?

Sure.

Consider yourself MIG 00002

Talorien 10-10-2012 10:11 AM

Hey guys,

Many, many thanks for those like Whitestreak and FireHorse who have volunteered by contacting their Regional Directors.

Thanks for all your patience with us.

Part of the problem is that I'm not yet in Austin (and also currently only part-time - it seems like Designer's Ed takes up all my work hours!) and thus not at the 'Command Center' to help check up on things.

Best,
Tal

Qthulhu 10-11-2012 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitestreak (Post 1456297)
Sure.

Consider yourself MIG 00002

You can be my wingman anytime.

CombineGeneral 10-25-2012 09:14 PM

I am MIB 0613... I have already booked Ogre Demos for opening weekend. I will book some Munchkin and Chez Geek demos for the holiday season.

I wonder if I should book some Ogre Preview demos using my Deluxe GEV/OGRE stuff and my extensive Ogre minis collection... any thoughts on that oh great Powers at SJ Games?

Talorien 10-26-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CombineGeneral (Post 1464610)
I am MIB 0613... I have already booked Ogre Demos for opening weekend. I will book some Munchkin and Chez Geek demos for the holiday season.

I wonder if I should book some Ogre Preview demos using my Deluxe GEV/OGRE stuff and my extensive Ogre minis collection... any thoughts on that oh great Powers at SJ Games?

Thanks for your help, CombineGeneral!

WRT your question, I'd send an email to your cell leader, Regional Director or to Control. Thanks!

Simplytherob 06-26-2013 11:15 PM

I reached out to my local group, they pretty much didn't care about OGRE.
I want to help, but http://portlandmib.org/ just stopped returning my emails.
So I organized my own event.
https://www.facebook.com/events/617465178266029/
Hope to see you all there!

Volstagg 10-21-2013 08:21 AM

Man In Gray #3 here:

I'll be hauling my BoxCar o' KS OGRE delight
(Picked up at the Release Party) up to my two local Stores here in North Houstopolis,
and we'll see if the gasps of shock & Awe will equal my own after unboxing...

I sent in an MIB thingy,
and I've been in converstion w/ one of the Former Houston MIB cell leaders
about stepping into the Black Shoes & Sunglasses for about...
Oh, Gosh: about 10 years now... 'Art is long, and Time is fleeting' (Hank Longfellow quote, gratis!)

... (I'm a stay-at-home Dad, and frankly my kids requirements kept me from
committing to any regular MIB initiatory ceremonies, But;
The Woman-Child is off to College, and the Boy-child is old enough now to Game & Help out...)
We'll see what Happens Next, yes?

Whitestreak 10-21-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volstagg (Post 1665663)
Man In Gray #3 here:

I'll be hauling my BoxCar o' KS OGRE delight
(Picked up at the Release Party) up to my two local Stores here in North Houstopolis,
and we'll see if the gasps of shock & Awe will equal my own after unboxing...

I sent in an MIB thingy,
and I've been in converstion w/ one of the Former Houston MIB cell leaders
about stepping into the Black Shoes & Sunglasses for about...
Oh, Gosh: about 10 years now... 'Art is long, and Time is fleeting' (Hank Longfellow quote, gratis!)

... (I'm a stay-at-home Dad, and frankly my kids requirements kept me from
committing to any regular MIB initiatory ceremonies, But;
The Woman-Child is off to College, and the Boy-child is old enough now to Game & Help out...)
We'll see what Happens Next, yes?

Good luck - you lucky fellow!

Since the DI posted that shipping has commenced, I hope to see mine in the next couple of weeks.

I haven't heard back from attempt to become an MIB in so long, I've given up on it.

No knock on SJG - I know that cell-leaders have lives in the mundane world, so I'll do what I can as MIG001

selenite 10-21-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitestreak (Post 1665872)
I haven't heard back from attempt to become an MIB in so long, I've given up on it.

That's about where I am. I figure DFW has to be pretty well covered though.

Emperor Norton I 11-23-2013 08:22 PM

I just got my big box in Japan, and would love an opportunity to show it off. I don't know if you do any events in the greater Tokyo area, but I'd be happy to help out. I can teach ogre and munchkin, in Japanese if I have to, though using Japanese language cards might be a challenge. I've actually taught Munchkin at my school several times.

ken 12-14-2013 08:34 AM

Are they still recruiting for MIB?