Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Ritual Magic (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=168947)

AllenOwen 06-06-2020 04:44 PM

Ritual Magic

Does Ritual Magic (B242) increase the time to cast spells? I am under the impression it does not, but I want to be certain.

Refplace 06-06-2020 04:49 PM

Re: Ritual Magic

Nope.
It does not and this sentence added because "nope" was too short to be posted.

AllenOwen 06-06-2020 05:18 PM

And Ritual Magery is an advantage much like Magery, other than the name?

Refplace 06-06-2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllenOwen (Post 2327272)
And Ritual Magery is an advantage much like Magery, other than the name?

Also yes. And distinct from Ritual Magery used in Ritual Path Magic. Unfortunately a few names are pretty close together and can confuse people.

whswhs 06-06-2020 06:25 PM

(a) It depends on which system you use. For example, Path and Book Magic, in GURPS Thaumatology, has a base time for most rituals of between 15 and 60 minutes. That's not specified for other systems; for example, Ritual Magic that uses the standard spells in the Basic Set isn't stated to take any longer.

(b) However, my concept of a ritual is as a procedure that really ought to take minutes or hour, not as something you can dash off in a second or two. I wouldn't use the ritual magic rules for any thing quick, even if the rules allow me to do so.

Refplace 06-06-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whswhs (Post 2327282)
(a) It depends on which system you use. For example, Path and Book Magic, in GURPS Thaumatology, has a base time for most rituals of between 15 and 60 minutes. That's not specified for other systems; for example, Ritual Magic that uses the standard spells in the Basic Set isn't stated to take any longer.

(b) However, my concept of a ritual is as a procedure that really ought to take minutes or hour, not as something you can dash off in a second or two. I wouldn't use the ritual magic rules for any thing quick, even if the rules allow me to do so.

A) The op is referring to Ritual Magic (B242) though. That is just a flexible version on regular GURPS Magic.
B) I feel the same, I see why they picked it as a name though Book/Path would have been better

dataweaver 06-07-2020 12:46 AM

Hindsight is 2020. If they had known when 4e was being published what we know now, I have no doubt that what 4e calls Ritual Magic would have been called Path Magic, and what Thaumatology calls Path/Book Magic would have been called Ritual Magic.

whswhs 06-07-2020 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refplace (Post 2327291)
A) The op is referring to Ritual Magic (B242) though. That is just a flexible version on regular GURPS Magic.

Not necessarily. Ritual Magic is the base skill for Paths and Books; therefore they too are a form of Ritual Magic. And Path/Book magic had already been developed well before 4/e, first in GURPS Voodoo and then in GURPS Cabal. So I think its use in the Basic Set has to be understood partly as providing the option of republishing Path/Book magic.

Anders 06-07-2020 06:26 AM

If you want longer casting time, you want Ceremonial Magic. And "Ceremonial Magic Only" is... somewhere. Thaumatology? It can be combined with Ritual Magic no problem.

Edit: Thaumatology p. 23.

Anaraxes 06-07-2020 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 2327361)
And "Ceremonial Magic Only" is... Edit: Thaumatology p. 23.

That's the term used in Basic (B238) / Magic (M12) for group casting (involving a "ritual", though it's not "Ritual Magic"). Casting time is x10 in that case.

The Thaumatology reference isn't a different mechanic. It describes a Limitation on Magery that limits that mage to using only Ceremonial Magic (as defined on B238).