Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   GURPS Aliens: Sparrials (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=140327)

Kromm 12-04-2015 12:56 PM

GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
Meeting aliens
I must have dropped my wallet
In the excitement
— Police report
You can't run a GURPS Space campaign without aliens. And that's exactly what the newly launched GURPS Aliens series aims to deliver! But rather than kick things off with a tired stereotype such as "brainy psis with bulging foreheads," "honorable-but-warlike empire builders," or "creepy, utterly inhuman invaders," we decided to bring you GURPS Aliens: Sparrials.

You might ask, "What on Earth is a sparrial?" After saying, "Wrong planet, Ace," gamers who own GURPS Classic: Aliens will recognize the name and claim to know about this species. But there's a lot more to learn – and with these guys, you need to be on your toes! "An entire race of small, agile thieves" would be a fair first description, and probably enough to have savvy spacemen keeping an eye on the crowd and a hand on their wallet. Yet as with all aliens worth writing about, there's much more than meets the eye . . .

Read up on the origins of this fascinating race, from arboreal predators, through inventive sapient species, to seasoned space explorers. Learn about their strong family ties and chaotic social system, and the resulting civilization. Discover why they steal, and what role clever thefts play in their society. Create your own sparrial adventurers and NPCs, drawing on details about standard and variant racial traits, common abilities, important skills, representative jobs, and martial arts. Then gear up with sparrial-specific equipment and set out to explore – whether that means riding a rachou or cruising the galaxy in a uniquely sparrial starship. There's also advice for choosing psionics and even spells, if your campaign leans that way (sparrials are well-suited to fantasy, too!).

Remember: What you don't know can still rob you blind! The space-wise adventurer won't want to be without a copy of Sparrials on her data player.


Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-1684

johndallman 12-04-2015 05:30 PM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
If anyone is not familiar with David Morgan-Mar's old 3e GURPS Space campaign, its web page is here. There was a well-realised Sparrial as one of the PCs, and it's pretty funny. The campaign also gave rise to the Space theme of David's Irregular Webcomic, based on the same characters.

GodBeastX 12-04-2015 05:36 PM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
We ended up talking about the book before this thread post in another thread. Good work!

Dammann 12-04-2015 08:51 PM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
This book was just really fun to read. It makes me want to start getting a space campaign going again.

Blind Mapmaker 12-05-2015 09:20 AM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
I posted a review on my blog. This book is finely balanced between crunch and fluff and pretty much the perfect length for a species splatbook. I really hope all the following ones are going to be the same length. We learn a lot more about Sparrials than in the original treatment. The only real complaint are the same old illustrations, but I know the financial considerations behind that problem. I guess asking for fan art is not a very professional move.

Archangel Beth 12-06-2015 12:05 AM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
*makes happy eee noises at the review*

Thank you! I am glad that it was overall useful!

There is, I confess, one other Sparrial in fiction, though only as a fairly minor character in a short story... http://elizabethmccoy.dreamwidth.org/3695.html (I got permission from SJ to use GURPS concepts... Hm! I should update the "about GURPS" backmatter in those someday!)

Ronnke 12-06-2015 02:13 AM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Archangel Beth (Post 1959942)
Thank you! I am glad that it was overall useful!

Already used this book for my GURPS Traveller game this weekend. :)

Blind Mapmaker 12-06-2015 03:58 AM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Archangel Beth (Post 1959942)
*makes happy eee noises at the review*

Thank you! I am glad that it was overall useful!

Thank you for a great book that will see use whenever I start an SF campaign with aliens or free-for-all fantasy world.

Quote:

There is, I confess, one other Sparrial in fiction, though only as a fairly minor character in a short story... http://elizabethmccoy.dreamwidth.org/3695.html (I got permission from SJ to use GURPS concepts... Hm! I should update the "about GURPS" backmatter in those someday!)
Updated the review to reflect this.

smurf 12-06-2015 04:21 PM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
Kronin were my favourite. Done my own 4e version in keeping with their theme.

dcarson 12-06-2015 07:33 PM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
Bought it and working out where and when to have my Stargate players stumble across them. I'm thinking they'll still be low tech with some stolen goa'uld tech.

Which will still be useful to my players since I had them figure out how to use the gate shortly after discovering it so Earth is still 1930 tech.

Archangel Beth 12-06-2015 09:51 PM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnke (Post 1959963)
Already used this book for my GURPS Traveller game this weekend. :)

<3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker (Post 1959976)
Updated the review [...].

*blush* Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarson (Post 1960181)
Bought it and working out where and when to have my Stargate players stumble across them. I'm thinking they'll still be low tech with some stolen goa'uld tech.

Which will still be useful to my players since I had them figure out how to use the gate shortly after discovering it so Earth is still 1930 tech.

That sounds like some lovely, lovely mayhem will ensue...

dfinlay 12-07-2015 12:04 AM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kromm (Post 1959482)
You can't run a GURPS Space campaign without aliens.

I beg to differ.

Also, how do you find out what length a W23 product is. I'm curious how many pages this article is before deciding whether to buy it or not.

Refplace 12-07-2015 12:48 AM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfinlay (Post 1960255)
I beg to differ.

Also, how do you find out what length a W23 product is. I'm curious how many pages this article is before deciding whether to buy it or not.

It tells you right next to the price on the description page.
Also previews always include the table of contents and index.
30 page PDF in this case.

Kromm 12-07-2015 11:12 AM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Refplace (Post 1960265)

It tells you right next to the price on the description page.

That's in the upper left-hand sector of the page. Since this is becoming a FAQ (in general, not for this specific supplement), I've indicated this with a red rectangle in the attached graphic.

dfinlay 12-07-2015 10:12 PM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kromm (Post 1960397)
That's in the upper left-hand sector of the page. Since this is becoming a FAQ (in general, not for this specific supplement), I've indicated this with a red rectangle in the attached graphic.

Ah, there was the confusion. It shows up on the sjgames page here: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/sparrials/ but doesn't seem to on the W23 page here: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-1684. It should probably show up on both.

And 30 pages seems like enough to be worth my purchase. Sold.

Archangel Beth 12-09-2015 10:41 AM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfinlay (Post 1960571)
Ah, there was the confusion. It shows up on the sjgames page here: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/sparrials/ but doesn't seem to on the W23 page here: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-1684. It should probably show up on both.

*beth hunts around the warehouse23 page* Yeah, far as I can see, you're right. Looks like currently, the only way to figure the total page-count is to check the sample, and it looks like the index ends on p. 29, and then there's a bit more backmatter.

(Hope you enjoy it!)

Captain Joy 12-19-2015 01:49 PM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by p. 25
Short Fangs (14): 1d-6 large piercing. Reach C.

Is "1d-6" erratum?

Fred Brackin 12-19-2015 03:48 PM

Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Joy (Post 1963579)
Is "1d-6" erratum?

Not necessarily. It just means that they will never do 2 pts of damage for penetration purposes. Just the 1 pt that's minimum for P type damage.,


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.