Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Play By Post (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Corco's Villa (IC) (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=173490)

TGLS 08-04-2021 11:15 AM

Re: Corco's Villa (IC)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2391100)
"By the way, you got a promotion for the suspected spy: she turned in the documents to us. And I can see the problematic sympathies you're talking about. Well done. I've made some notes about your performance tonight. I suspect someone will be very happy to have you on security duty."


"One more personal question, if I may: Do you think the emperor will side with us or with them?"

"I sure hope it's us. I think when the Emperor wakes up the war will end a few months after, if not sooner. Regardless, when he does wake up I don't think he'll side completely with us or with them. Hopefully he makes a compromise that's more livable than the last. Well, unless Kasada is right and the Emperor really is waiting for a bunch of patrician's heads on spikes."

ericthered 08-05-2021 07:30 AM

Re: Corco's Villa (IC)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TGLS (Post 2391116)
"I sure hope it's us. I think when the Emperor wakes up the war will end a few months after, if not sooner. Regardless, when he does wake up I don't think he'll side completely with us or with them. Hopefully he makes a compromise that's more livable than the last. Well, unless Kasada is right and the Emperor really is waiting for a bunch of patrician's heads on spikes."


Halcyone is kept with the staff-officers in training for another day. About halfway through the next day, she is called up and given transfer papers to work with the personal security of one of the top four generals. She is not to be in charge of the detail, merely to be part of the team.



The head of the detail meets her personally. He's a handsome looking fellow, dressed in a baggy uniform made to blend in with sand: a field uniform rather than a dress uniform. He looks at her. "They say you're a living terror in hand to hand. You don't look it. Welcome to Lithus and the heart of the rebellion. I'm Talthus, head of security for general Rubrum. Lets get you situated."


Halcyone is assigned to travel duty, protecting the Red General when he's traveling off of the base.


What is her next step?

the_matrix_walker 08-05-2021 12:33 PM

Re: Corco's Villa (IC)
 
Vassarious studies the architecture and state of the chamber, looking for anything out of place or missing. She looks for any disturbed runes or damaged stonework that might be disrupting the magical flow of this place.

She also uses the "Outcast Angel" Ability to "Detect Evil Supernatural Beings" as well as try and use their ability as a "Face Man" get a feel for the functionaries here to see if any of them seem concerned at the possibility of her success.

TGLS 08-05-2021 03:39 PM

Re: Corco's Villa (IC)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2391213)
The head of the detail meets her personally. He's a handsome looking fellow, dressed in a baggy uniform made to blend in with sand: a field uniform rather than a dress uniform. He looks at her. "They say you're a living terror in hand to hand. You don't look it. Welcome to Lithus and the heart of the rebellion. I'm Talthus, head of security for general Rubrum. Lets get you situated."

"I'd be a worse bodyguard if I did look it.", adding silently, That's why I was made like this.


Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2391213)
Halcyone is assigned to travel duty, protecting the Red General when he's traveling off of the base.


What is her next step?

I imagine unless the General on the road all the time, I'll have a considerable amount of free time. I'll try to get to know my colleagues, in part to sate my curiosity and in part to hopefully make things go more smoothly.
Quote:

[54] 21-08-05 22:38:28 BST
Memetics!
3d6 <= 15
1 + 6 + 3 = 10 ... success
Now with regard to my mission, I'll try to gather up information on colonel-level officers (see #70) in a way that won't immediately alert anyone. Then get down to reading to separate the suspicious out.

Quote:

[55] 21-08-05 22:38:38 BST
Administration
3d6 <= 15
4 + 4 + 6 = 14 ... success
[56] 21-08-05 22:38:45 BST
Memetics!
3d6 <= 15
2 + 5 + 6 = 13 ... success

ericthered 08-06-2021 08:08 AM

Re: Corco's Villa (IC)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker (Post 2391258)
Vassarious studies the architecture and state of the chamber, looking for anything out of place or missing. She looks for any disturbed runes or damaged stonework that might be disrupting the magical flow of this place.

She also uses the "Outcast Angel" Ability to "Detect Evil Supernatural Beings" as well as try and use their ability as a "Face Man" get a feel for the functionaries here to see if any of them seem concerned at the possibility of her success.

The room does have an occult function, and as far as Vassarious can tell (secret roll), its magic is focused on stone sarcophagus, and does seem to have a life preserving effect. Vassarious learns a little more about how the effect works by observing the building. There seems to be a component preserving the body, and another preserving the mind.

Detecting evil supernatural beings turns something Big in that sarcophagus. Its not exactly "Evil", but it is undead, and its taking a LOT of power.

(rolled a 9 on face-man!) The functionaries are certainly invested in the success or failure, and quite anxious about the outcome. A fair number of them seem like they are expecting a fight. Vassarious isn't sure why though... she'd need to take some sort of action to read the response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TGLS (Post 2391273)
"I'd be a worse bodyguard if I did look it.", adding silently, That's why I was made like this.

I imagine unless the General on the road all the time, I'll have a considerable amount of free time. I'll try to get to know my colleagues, in part to sate my curiosity and in part to hopefully make things go more smoothly.

Now with regard to my mission, I'll try to gather up information on colonel-level officers (see #70) in a way that won't immediately alert anyone. Then get down to reading to separate the suspicious out.

Give me a few rolls to gather the information on the officers.



Talthus chuckles: "Sure, but we don't usually have the luxury of people who are dangerous without looking like they are. Glad to have you as our secret weapon."


The security detail for the general is six people. Halcyone is the only woman. Talthus is in charge. He and Tenilis run security for top-secret meetings. Thelodox is Halcyone's counterpart for travel, and Marcus and Myrlon are qualified to command larger units as security forces.

TGLS 08-06-2021 12:15 PM

Re: Corco's Villa (IC)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2391332)
Give me a few rolls to gather the information on the officers.

OK, in addition to the Admin roll, I'll use:
-> Research, to read between lines in non-sensitive documents
-> Scrounging, to turn up discarded memos and documents that may implicate an officer
-> Observation, to eavesdrop on conversations that may provide more context on particular officers
-> And Savoir-Faire (Paramilitary) to meet with people who work closely with any officer I may be targeting. (I suppose there may be a negative modifier to this?)
And if all that isn't enough I'll consider trying to head into the City and see if I can make street level contacts who may know something.
Quote:

[60] 21-08-06 19:02:36 BST
Savoir-Faire (Paramilitary)
3d6 <= 16
6 + 6 + 5 = 17 ... failure
[59] 21-08-06 19:02:18 BST
Observation
3d6 <= 16
3 + 3 + 6 = 12 ... success
[58] 21-08-06 19:01:36 BST
Scrounging
3d6 <= 17
1 + 5 + 6 = 12 ... success
[57] 21-08-06 19:01:14 BST
Research
3d6 <= 15
6 + 1 + 4 = 11 ... success
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2391332)
The security detail for the general is six people. Halcyone is the only woman. Talthus is in charge. He and Tenilis run security for top-secret meetings. Thelodox is Halcyone's counterpart for travel, and Marcus and Myrlon are qualified to command larger units as security forces.

Wow, that's a lot of Ts.

I'll focus on trying to befriend Thelodox first. I'll also ask what happened to whoever I replaced (it would seem like there should be a replacement).
Quote:

[61] 21-08-06 19:14:56 BST
Memetics! (To befriend)

3d6 <= 15
1 + 4 + 2 = 7 ... success

the_matrix_walker 08-08-2021 01:15 PM

Re: Corco's Villa (IC)
 
Vassarious inspects the form of the place and tries to determine the flow of form and magic to see if there is any evidence of damage, tampering, or any other indication of something that might inhibit this place's function.

((OOC: I'll spend a wildcard point for a success or margin enhancement if it is needed or helpful.))

ericthered 08-09-2021 08:59 AM

Re: Corco's Villa (IC)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker (Post 2391654)
Vassarious inspects the form of the place and tries to determine the flow of form and magic to see if there is any evidence of damage, tampering, or any other indication of something that might inhibit this place's function.

((OOC: I'll spend a wildcard point for a success or margin enhancement if it is needed or helpful.))

No point spending needed.


The tomb appears to be untampered with... at least at this location. There is a different location that this location uses as a power source: that one might have been tampered with.


Quote:

Originally Posted by TGLS (Post 2391368)
OK, in addition to the Admin roll, I'll use:
-> Research, to read between lines in non-sensitive documents
-> Scrounging, to turn up discarded memos and documents that may implicate an officer
-> Observation, to eavesdrop on conversations that may provide more context on particular officers
-> And Savoir-Faire (Paramilitary) to meet with people who work closely with any officer I may be targeting. (I suppose there may be a negative modifier to this?)
And if all that isn't enough I'll consider trying to head into the City and see if I can make street level contacts who may know something.

How much time are you intending to spend on these activities?



And as a GM aside, what is your plan after you find a traitor? You've proved your basic abilities already... how does this further the core mission?


Quote:

I'll focus on trying to befriend Thelodox first. I'll also ask what happened to whoever I replaced (it would seem like there should be a replacement).

Thelodox is happy to chat and play cards while they wait for general to come out of headquarters. He'll ask quite a lot about Verdaze, where she is supposed to have come from: roll some skill and talk about your stratedgy to make sure he doesn't find out you're an imposter.



Thelodox loves to talk about cars.



Your are replacing a Alexa, who is in the hospital with a badly lacerated leg from jumping into a dumpster. Your assignment is temporary.

TGLS 08-09-2021 12:05 PM

Re: Corco's Villa (IC)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2391748)
How much time are you intending to spend on these activities?

And as a GM aside, what is your plan after you find a traitor? You've proved your basic abilities already... how does this further the core mission?

Maybe traitor isn't the best word here. Basically, the way I see it, the situation here is one of the following:
A) There's a spy working for the imperials working over here. Perhaps the goal is to wipe out the rebels before the Emperor wakes up.
B) The rebellion is keeping the emperor asleep somehow, and naturally the coordination for this effort is going through Rebel HQ.
C) This is all a wild goose chase and I ought to let you get me somewhere else where the plot can advance.

Maybe the things I want to do are more in aid of determining whether A is true and not B, but I think that trying to determine whether B is true would probably be more dangerous, and should be done after.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2391748)
Thelodox is happy to chat and play cards while they wait for general to come out of headquarters. He'll ask quite a lot about Verdaze, where she is supposed to have come from: roll some skill and talk about your strategy to make sure he doesn't find out you're an imposter.

I'm sure he's just being curious; I'm sure I researched enough before to have a clear picture of what Verdaze is like, and will use Acting to make sure I'm consistent and Memetics! to inject life into the answers I'm giving (it would be awfully weird to sound like and encyclopedia article.)
Quote:

[63] 21-08-09 19:02:29 BST
Memetics!
3d6 <= 15
6 + 5 + 1 = 12 ... success

[62] 21-08-09 19:02:20 BST
Acting
3d6 <= 15
3 + 3 + 4 = 10 ... success
If the card game is common to both Verdaze and Lithus, I'll mention I've played before and pick up the rules as I go:
Quote:

[64] 21-08-09 19:09:32 BST
Games Default
3d6 <= 12
2 + 1 + 3 = 6 ... success
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2391748)
Thelodox loves to talk about cars.

If it makes sense (as in, makes sense for someone from Verdaze), I'll mention that I don't know how to drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2391748)
You are replacing Alexa, who is in the hospital with a badly lacerated leg from jumping into a dumpster. Your assignment is temporary.

"Into a dumpster? What's that all about? Taking cover?"

ericthered 08-10-2021 10:33 AM

Re: Corco's Villa (IC)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TGLS (Post 2391783)
Maybe traitor isn't the best word here. Basically, the way I see it, the situation here is one of the following:
A) There's a spy working for the imperials working over here. Perhaps the goal is to wipe out the rebels before the Emperor wakes up.
B) The rebellion is keeping the emperor asleep somehow, and naturally the coordination for this effort is going through Rebel HQ.
C) This is all a wild goose chase and I ought to let you get me somewhere else where the plot can advance.


Maybe the things I want to do are more in aid of determining whether A is true and not B, but I think that trying to determine whether B is true would probably be more dangerous, and should be done after.

Ok, that makes sense. What's the answer to "How much time"

Quote:

I'm sure he's just being curious; I'm sure I researched enough before to have a clear picture of what Verdaze is like, and will use Acting to make sure I'm consistent and Memetics! to inject life into the answers I'm giving (it would be awfully weird to sound like and encyclopedia article.)
Well done, you satisfy him in your answers.


Quote:

If the card game is common to both Verdaze and Lithus, I'll mention I've played before and pick up the rules as I go:
Halcyone plays unexpectedly well for a beginner. He enjoys having a partner who enjoys such things.


Quote:

If it makes sense (as in, makes sense for someone from Verdaze), I'll mention that I don't know how to drive.
"What? Didn't they test that? whose oversight was that? I'll teach you! We have the car right here..."


Its an old fashioned clunker built for style (at least to the TL10 eyes beholding it). Thelodox has Halcyone slowly driving it around the parking lot.


Quote:

"Into a dumpster? What's that all about? Taking cover?"
"Well, actually... that was a bet between me and her. I feel kind of bad about it. We were on the roof to have a good vantage view, and she said the dumpster would be fine exit in an emergency. I said it wouldn't, she said it would... and then I put money on it, and she jumped."


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.