Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Play By Post (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   [OOC] The Voyages of "The Hiawatha" [Hero Class] : GURPS Traveller (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=82190)

doulos05 08-14-2011 06:14 PM

Re: [OOC] The Voyages of "The Hiawatha" [Hero Class] : GURPS Traveller

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterJuan (Post 1231069)
And on a purely RP basis, Sharmila will strongly insist on bunking alone. If she can't, she'll only agree on sharing a room with the Doctor, and no one else (mainly because she's the only other woman on the crew).

I'm still counting an extra stateroom... 4 Staterooms in the crew area and 6 upstairs. But it says we can carry 1 High passage and 4 medium passages. We could assume the Steward is upstairs (to provide ready access for the passengers should they need anything), which gives us an extra room downstairs so fewer people double up. But the way I count it, we should have sufficient bunks for 1 more passage assuming we're doubled.

And yeah, since we've got two women, they'd be bunked together.

pup67vargr 08-14-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulos05 (Post 1231104)
I think it's $800 per dton per parsec. That's how I got $123,200. ISW will be more than workable, I'll be the last one to complain about getting to charge more money. :)

Yes, you're right, of course. I left out a step. So I guess all my numbers need to be recalculated. *tch* makes me wish I hadn't given you that special rate for the little 2 dTon cargo, but, oh, well.
Quote:

Sounds good to me. I figure since we're dealing with a scientific outpost that this is probably cargo which we're being requested to carry by the merchant marine and they're gonna set whatever rate they want.

Good idea. Make it so. May have to re-visit that rate I gave you earlier today, but, then again, we might just keep it.
Quote:

Alright, sounds good to me. I would like to roll on the cargo generation tables from Far Trader to detail the type of cargo and how it is packed. I think that's more interesting than just carrying Acme Standard 'Genero-Goods' brown boxes.

That sounds like a reasonable, interesting, and agreeable request to me. But my family owns stake in 'Genero-Goods' and I quite like our brown boxes! They're so ... so ... so ... ordinary!

pup67vargr 08-14-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulos05 (Post 1231109)
I'm still counting an extra stateroom... 4 Staterooms in the crew area and 6 upstairs. But it says we can carry 1 High passage and 4 medium passages. We could assume the Steward is upstairs (to provide ready access for the passengers should they need anything), which gives us an extra room downstairs so fewer people double up. But the way I count it, we should have sufficient bunks for 1 more passage assuming we're doubled.

And yeah, since we've got two women, they'd be bunked together.

The way I read that description of the staterooms/passenger accomodations, there's only one stateroom that has suitable amenities for a High Passenger, and one other stateroom is filled with the 14 Low-Passage berths, which leaves 4 Standard/Middle Passage Staterooms. Otherwise, I don't see any place for the Low Passage Berths. And the Steward needs to be in the crew area. So, Captain in one crew stateroom, the females sharing another, and that leaves the three remaining men to share two staterooms. Or, you could put two apiece in all of the crew quarters, including the Captain's stateroom, and then have one crew stateroom left over to use as a sitting room, gambling hall, bar, pinball arcade, or whatever.

doulos05 08-14-2011 11:03 PM

Room 9 is the Low Berths.

pup67vargr 08-15-2011 05:37 AM

Ahhh, yes. There they are. So much for that idea.

doulos05 08-15-2011 06:53 AM

You could just say 1 wall was knocked out between two of them to make the High Passage quarters.

pup67vargr 08-15-2011 07:19 PM

The more I look at it and think about it, the more I think that "4 Standard Passengers" is a mistake, and they meant 5 Standard. Or, alternatively, what might be even better would be for the two forward-most staterooms to be High Passage berths and the other 4 to be Standard, double occupancy passenger quarters. Another "credit sink" for you guys might be upgrading ALL of the staterooms to high passage berths, eventually.

doulos05 08-16-2011 12:31 AM

Sounds good to me. I'll edit the wiki to reflect that tonight.

2 High Passage, 4 Medium passage, 14 Low Berths.

I'll also get the software list and weapon stats into the wiki.

doulos05 08-16-2011 05:10 AM

Ok, guys. I'm of two minds about this so I want to put it to a crew vote. We have two options for armament, a single TL9 Pulse Laser or a single Missile Launcher w/ 5 missiles.

Here are the pros I see for the Missile launcher:
Longer range: With 8.0 Gs of sAccel, we can reach out an touch a target up to 24 hexes (240,000 miles) away. That's farther than we can effectively can (and we'd be shooting at a -8 just due to range, but still). Pulse lasers TL/9 only go to 3 hexes, and they only do full damage a 1 hex.
More damage: Missiles that hit do 12d(10)burning damage, which is more than enough to disable another Hero-class (average damage puts a Hero at -11 dHP).
Slightly easier to hit: As I'm reading the rules, assuming we have Gunner(Missiles)-12, we need a 15 to hit another Hero at max range. It goes up by 1 for every 3 hexes closer it is.
No power demands: Kind of self-explanatory. We only have 8 MW of power to play with. A TL10 Pulse laser uses 10. So we'd have to switch off the sensors to fire the laser (or switch off an engine). A TL9 Pulse Laser only uses 2.5 MW of power, so we could install up to 3 of those before we ran out of power.

Pros of the Pulse Laser:
No Ammo: Missiles are $30,000 a pop. They'll probably end the fight, but at present we could only afford 5. A full load would be 12 per launcher. Meaning assuming we don't get in a fight before we load up to the gills, we need $210,000 to spend on ammo alone. Once the ammo runs out, reloading can only be accomplished out of combat.
Cheaper: We could put another $400,000 in our pockets if we took a Pulse laser ($250,000 for the price difference between the weapon systems + $150,000 for the 5 missiles we have). That allows us to buy some more nice kit for the ship or puts us just $100,000 away from another pulse laser (or just $380,000 away from a missile launcher w/ 1 missile as an emergency backup).
No point defense: Ok, here's the biggie for me. A Pulse laser allows us to take point defense rolls in case the enemy shoots a missile at us. I just showed that an average hit from a missile puts us into disable territory. As it is, we can knock two missiles out of the sky per turn, at the cost of 1 sandcaster canister per missile. Pulse lasers can knock as many out of the sky as they can hit and cost no ammo.

So, what's your vote?
Missile Launcher w/ 5 missiles ($900,000, $30,000 per reload, and 12d(10) @ +(8.0 - their sAccel)/2 Accuracy)
TL9 Pulse Laser ($500,000, 2.5 MW of power, and 3d(5) @ +0 Accuracy)
TL10 Pulse Laser ($500,000, 10 MW of power, and 4d(5) @ +2 Accuracy)

A TL/9 Beam Laser could be had too if we dropped a Sandcaster ($1,000,000, 5 MW of power, and 6d(5) @ +0 Accuracy), but that seems really risky to me, having only 1 sandcaster means we can only protect ourselves against 1 missile OR 1 ship per turn. Granted, we'd only be $100,000 away from buying the second sandcaster, but still...

pup67vargr 08-16-2011 05:52 AM

Did you ever consider that you might just want to avoid ship-to-ship combat, at least at first? Bullets for a .45 are MUCH, MUCH cheaper. Put the extra money into a faster maneuver drive and you might be able to avoid almost any scrape for long enough to reach a safe range from your would-be attacker.

Just a thought.....

doulos05 08-16-2011 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pup67vargr (Post 1232097)
Did you ever consider that you might just want to avoid ship-to-ship combat, at least at first? Bullets for a .45 are MUCH, MUCH cheaper. Put the extra money into a faster maneuver drive and you might be able to avoid almost any scrape for long enough to reach a safe range from your would-be attacker.

Just a thought.....

Well, you'll notice I've include 11 magazines for each crewman for their standard issue H&K .40 Smith and Weston. Actually, if we went with the Pulse Laser, we could give everyone Gauss PDWs too, though people would need to take Guns (SMGs) to actually use them...

pup67vargr 08-16-2011 06:09 AM

Traveller assumes that the Smith & Wesson company is still in business? Or did you say Smith & Weston on purpose? Anyway, I was thinking a Glock 9mm. :-P

doulos05 08-16-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pup67vargr (Post 1232105)
Traveller assumes that the Smith & Wesson company is still in business? Or did you say Smith & Weston on purpose? Anyway, I was thinking a Glock 9mm. :-P

I made a typo. But either way I picked the model out of High Tech. I figured we'd want something lowish enough on the damage scale to reduce the risk of, shall we say, accidental decompression. But the PDWs, oh the PDWs. I had a pair of characters with PDWs in my Traveller game. It was... brutal. Of course, those are LC2 so that could be fun to explain to the authorities. The 15mm Magnum pistol, on the other hand... 4d+1 pi++ damage for less than $900 a pop. Ammo is a bit pricey though, at $1.20 per shell.

MisterJuan 08-16-2011 07:38 AM

@pup67vargr
Is there anything in Ultra Tech that is off limit (well, beside everything over TL10)?

sn0wball 08-16-2011 12:48 PM

As far as weapons are concerned, into a ship´s locker belong weapons that are reasonably common, easy to use and as legal as possbile. Also, they shouldn´t be personalized to the crew - everyone is free to purchase its own arms.

I recommend 3 TL9 Autopistols, 9mm, 3 Autoshotguns and 3 Laser Pistols, all from Basic Set. I mean, what is Traveller without shotguns in space ?

sn0wball 08-16-2011 12:52 PM

How detailed shall the equipment list be, everything, or only special items ?

doulos05 08-16-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0wball (Post 1232302)

Assuming we're going with the 80% rule (where you only spend 20% of your wealth in adventuring gear and starting cash), you get all the 'common' stuff that an average member of society at your status level and job would have as part of the 80%. Practically, that means at least a complete wardrobe, basic hygiene stuff, and personal necessities. That probably wouldn't include a computer (I assumed it didn't), but I could see it including batteries.

Don't forget when you select equipment, medical technology in Traveller lags 1 TL behind. So TL10 equipment, TL9 Medical Equipment.

pup67vargr 08-16-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulos05 (Post 1232113)
I made a typo. But either way I picked the model out of High Tech. I figured we'd want something lowish enough on the damage scale to reduce the risk of, shall we say, accidental decompression. .

Very good point there! See below about shotguns...
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterJuan (Post 1232132)
@pup67vargr
Is there anything in Ultra Tech that is off limit (well, beside everything over TL10)?

I guess you better run most things by me, except the sort of stuff that's 'always' been considered Traveller-esque.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0wball (Post 1232297)
As far as weapons are concerned, into a ship´s locker belong weapons that are reasonably common, easy to use and as legal as possbile. Also, they shouldn´t be personalized to the crew - everyone is free to purchase its own arms.

I recommend 3 TL9 Autopistols, 9mm, 3 Autoshotguns and 3 Laser Pistols, all from Basic Set. I mean, what is Traveller without shotguns in space ?

I can see the 3 TL9 Autopistols, but let's increase it to 6 shotguns and, instead of 3 laser pistols, make it 4. Oh, and about a boatload of ammo for all of the above. Three power packs for each laser -- one in the weapon, one charging, and one spare, and you'll need to rotate all three through the weapon on a regular basis.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0wball (Post 1232302)

Gonna need everything belonging to the characters. Probably better figure on everything for the Ship's Locker, too, but I might not be above fudging that a little bit here and there if necessary. Hopefully, though, it won't be necessary, since I'm pretty much letting you pick out just about anything you want.
Quote:

Originally Posted by doulos05 (Post 1232444)
Assuming we're going with the 80% rule (where you only spend 20% of your wealth in adventuring gear and starting cash), you get all the 'common' stuff that an average member of society at your status level and job would have as part of the 80%. Practically, that means at least a complete wardrobe, basic hygiene stuff, and personal necessities. That probably wouldn't include a computer (I assumed it didn't), but I could see it including batteries.

Don't forget when you select equipment, medical technology in Traveller lags 1 TL behind. So TL10 equipment, TL9 Medical Equipment.

I guess that 80% rule will be okay for now. Just please don't abuse it. And the sick bay will need to be stocked with supplies by the "Doc"/Medic. I'm not sure how big the budget for that needs to be, but I'm willing to entertain proposals.

BTW, good to see that everybody got in on the posting today! :-)

doulos05 08-16-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pup67vargr (Post 1232668)
Very good point there! See below about shotguns...

I guess you better run most things by me, except the sort of stuff that's 'always' been considered Traveller-esque.

Right, I'll go through and bold the items on my equipment list from the captain that came out of UT.

Quote:

I can see the 3 TL9 Autopistols, but let's increase it to 6 shotguns and, instead of 3 laser pistols, make it 4. Oh, and about a boatload of ammo for all of the above. Three power packs for each laser -- one in the weapon, one charging, and one spare, and you'll need to rotate all three through the weapon on a regular basis.
I'll price all that out and post it here for reference.

Quote:

Gonna need everything belonging to the characters. Probably better figure on everything for the Ship's Locker, too, but I might not be above fudging that a little bit here and there if necessary. Hopefully, though, it won't be necessary, since I'm pretty much letting you pick out just about anything you want.
Check. I want it to be as thorough as possible, but it's good to know if we make a mistake my PC won't be missing clean skivvies for the Imperial Ball.

Quote:

I guess that 80% rule will be okay for now. Just please don't abuse it. And the sick bay will need to be stocked with supplies by the "Doc"/Medic. I'm not sure how big the budget for that needs to be, but I'm willing to entertain proposals.

BTW, good to see that everybody got in on the posting today! :-)
I accounted for 50 patient/days of medicine as well as 10 crash kits and a set of surgical tools in the ships locker if I remember correctly.

pup67vargr 08-17-2011 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulos05 (Post 1232710)
Right, I'll go through and bold the items on my equipment list from the captain that came out of UT.

Check. I want it to be as thorough as possible, but it's good to know if we make a mistake my PC won't be missing clean skivvies for the Imperial Ball.

I accounted for 50 patient/days of medicine as well as 10 crash kits and a set of surgical tools in the ships locker if I remember correctly.

If you have questionable items on your equipment list, please specifically mention them here and get approval first, ok? Nice try, but you can't shift the burden of proof to the GM by saying 'Hey, you never told me I couldn't have this nuclear whiz-bang gadget!' I'm telling all players right now that anything not on the list of commonly available items needs to be given prior approval, or said item is quite apt to vanish mid-voyage.

skivvies are one thing, but there will likely be no assumptions made about that extra box of ammo that you intended to get but never actually mentioned getting.

doulos05 08-17-2011 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pup67vargr (Post 1232805)
If you have questionable items on your equipment list, please specifically mention them here and get approval first, ok? Nice try, but you can't shift the burden of proof to the GM by saying 'Hey, you never told me I couldn't have this nuclear whiz-bang gadget!' I'm telling all players right now that anything not on the list of commonly available items needs to be given prior approval, or said item is quite apt to vanish mid-voyage.

Right. I looked over my list and the only things I see are:
Smart Vacc Suit w/ Flexible Space Helmet
Nanoweave suit and gloves.

The Smart Vacc Suit is TL10, I picked it because it's light-weight and 1/2 the cost of the TL9 Civilian Vacc Suit. The flexible Space Helmet I picked just because it was cheaper (1/4 the price a normal space helmet). The Nanoweave is just TL10 ballistics cloth. Are those items ok?

Quote:

skivvies are one thing, but there will likely be no assumptions made about that extra box of ammo that you intended to get but never actually mentioned getting.
Right, obviously no ammo. I'm thinking things you and I have laying around the house but we didn't buy on the character sheet. As a more likely in-game example, I didn't purchase a pen or pencil (or paper for that matter), but if I'm on the ship and need to take DTF format notes, I'd like to assume those are accounted for in the 80%. The only thing I can think of having a combat utility that would be like that is batteries, and most civilian devices use AA to B sized batteries, while weapons use C batteries. But I'm perfectly content with itemizing those, given their importance in an Ultratech setting.

pup67vargr 08-17-2011 10:28 PM

Batteries are not a problem for now. But, ah, what's the DR of that nanoweave get-up? That's ok if it's TL10, but you'll likely need to get some spare parts and patches in a repair kit just in case the unthinkable happens, because I've been known to think about those sorts of things. Repair kits may be in a book somewhere, but if not (and I stress, ONLY if a price for such an item is not given already in some book or other) I'm thinking that such a kit should cost about 10% of the price of the vacc suit.

And, anyway, what makes that vacc suit 'smart'??

doulos05 08-17-2011 11:36 PM

Placeholder reply to your question so the Q and the A are closely connected in the thread. I'll copy/paste the stats from home tonight. The thing that makes it 'smart' is weight-saving technology in the life support equipment that reduces weight and cost (at the expense of DR, if I recall correctly).
Nanoweave Suit: DR 18/6*, LC3, coverage: all, weight 8 lbs., cost $1200
Nanoweave Gloves: DR 9/3*, LC4, Coverage: Hands, Weight: neg., Cost: $30
Smart Vacc Suit: "An improved civilian vacc suit design using advanced nano-catalytic systems to reduce the life support system’s bulk. The suit has built-in biomedical sensors (p. 187). It is sealed with the addition of a vacc suit helmet (p. 180), providing climate control (-459° F to 250°F) (p. 171), pressure support (p. 171) up to 10 atmospheres, radiation protection (PF 2) (p. 171), and vacuum support (p. 171). A vacc suit takes 30 seconds to put on or take off, though this time can be halved with a successful Vacc Suit skill roll."
DR 6, LC4, Weight 15, Power: 2C/36 Hours, Cost: $5000, 12 hour air supply, extensible with air tanks

Can't find the rules on repair kits. It does say that repairs to equipment that has lost more HP than it has require spare parts == 1d6*10% the base cost.

doulos05 08-18-2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulos05 (Post 1232080)
Ok, guys. I'm of two minds about this so I want to put it to a crew vote. We have two options for armament, a single TL9 Pulse Laser or a single Missile Launcher w/ 5 missiles.

I didn't see any responses on this, so I assume that the general plan is just to avoid space combat. That said, I like to be prepared. I've looked at both of these and, especially considering that our Pilot has Gunner(Beams), I think we should go with the TL9 Pulse laser.

Additionally, the Ship's Locker will be reposted below, broken up by category so that we can ensure I've not missed any categories. Additionally, I've left the Pros and Cons intact below just in case you guys disagree but didn't get a chance to comment on it. We can still change it.
Quote:

Here are the pros I see for the Missile launcher:
Longer range: With 8.0 Gs of sAccel, we can reach out an touch a target up to 24 hexes (240,000 miles) away. That's farther than we can effectively can (and we'd be shooting at a -8 just due to range, but still). Pulse lasers TL/9 only go to 3 hexes, and they only do full damage a 1 hex.
More damage: Missiles that hit do 12d(10)burning damage, which is more than enough to disable another Hero-class (average damage puts a Hero at -11 dHP).
Slightly easier to hit: As I'm reading the rules, assuming we have Gunner(Missiles)-12, we need a 15 to hit another Hero at max range. It goes up by 1 for every 3 hexes closer it is.
No power demands: Kind of self-explanatory. We only have 8 MW of power to play with. A TL10 Pulse laser uses 10. So we'd have to switch off the sensors to fire the laser (or switch off an engine). A TL9 Pulse Laser only uses 2.5 MW of power, so we could install up to 3 of those before we ran out of power.

Pros of the Pulse Laser:
No Ammo: Missiles are $30,000 a pop. They'll probably end the fight, but at present we could only afford 5. A full load would be 12 per launcher. Meaning assuming we don't get in a fight before we load up to the gills, we need $210,000 to spend on ammo alone. Once the ammo runs out, reloading can only be accomplished out of combat.
Cheaper: We could put another $400,000 in our pockets if we took a Pulse laser ($250,000 for the price difference between the weapon systems + $150,000 for the 5 missiles we have). That allows us to buy some more nice kit for the ship or puts us just $100,000 away from another pulse laser (or just $380,000 away from a missile launcher w/ 1 missile as an emergency backup).
No point defense: Ok, here's the biggie for me. A Pulse laser allows us to take point defense rolls in case the enemy shoots a missile at us. I just showed that an average hit from a missile puts us into disable territory. As it is, we can knock two missiles out of the sky per turn, at the cost of 1 sandcaster canister per missile. Pulse lasers can knock as many out of the sky as they can hit and cost no ammo.

So, what's your vote?
Missile Launcher w/ 5 missiles ($900,000, $30,000 per reload, and 12d(10) @ +(8.0 - their sAccel)/2 Accuracy)
TL9 Pulse Laser ($500,000, 2.5 MW of power, and 3d(5) @ +0 Accuracy)
TL10 Pulse Laser ($500,000, 10 MW of power, and 4d(5) @ +2 Accuracy)

A TL/9 Beam Laser could be had too if we dropped a Sandcaster ($1,000,000, 5 MW of power, and 6d(5) @ +0 Accuracy), but that seems really risky to me, having only 1 sandcaster means we can only protect ourselves against 1 missile OR 1 ship per turn. Granted, we'd only be $100,000 away from buying the second sandcaster, but still...

doulos05 08-18-2011 07:41 AM

The price for Turrets factored in the M$0.1 to purchase the turret (since the Hero class only comes with hard points for mounting turrets, not pre-installed turrets).

As Captain, I'll suggest an outfitting, you guys can feel free to change it as you please.

Software:
Quicken 2070 Free Edition (TL 10 Accounting software) - $0
Damage Control (Complexity 3 for a 200 dTon vessel) - $50
Damage Control Database (Hero-class vessel) - $1,000
Datalink (Free) - $0
Entertainment - $0
Entertainment Databases (I'm gonna assume Halo:Vilani Scum 3 costs the same as Halo 3 did when it came out) x 10 $500
Internal Security System (Skill level 15, Complexity 5) $1000
Interpreter w/ Vilani Language Database (Native) (and as many additional language Databases as we can purchase: $1000/database) $2000
Jump-2 Navigation Software (Complexity 6) $5000
RVO (Piloting Skill 15 Complexity 5) $1,000
Targeting (Complexity 6, +1 targeting bonus) $5000
Software total: $14,550

Consumables (Food and Medical):
330 Man-days of rations $1980 (1 month for a full compliment of 5 passengers and 6 crew)
Crash Kit TL/10 x 10 (+2 First Aid, -5 Surgery) $2000
50 patient/days of medical supplies $500
Surgical Instruments TL/10 x 5 $1500
Consumables total: $5,980

Ship to Ship Armament:
1 Turret w/ Sandcaster x 2 (each with 12 canisters) $609,600
1 Turret w/ TL9 Pulse Laser $600,000
Weapons Total: 1,209,600

Ship's Locker:
Standard Issue Crew Equipment:
"Pocket Pack" x 6 (UT38) $150
Small TL/10 Radio communicators x 6 (UT44) $1200
Smart VacSuits TL10 x 6 (with Helmets) $42,000
H&K USP, .40 S&W w/ Smart Electronics x 6 $4,620
60 .40 magazines $1920
Benelli M1 Super 90 12G Shotgun (HT) x 3 $1350
100 Buckshot Rounds $70
100 Slugs $70
30 Barricade-Penetrating Tear Gas Rounds $45
TL10 Laser Pistols x3 $3300
Sub-total: $54,590

Emergency Gear
Survival Chest x 12 (GT:FT70) $26840 ($2440 each, I gave us a 10% discount off the price to purchase all the bits separately, seemed fair, but we can go up to the full price if you'd prefer which is $2708 ea or $32,496)
Sub-total: $26,840 ($32,496)

Maintenance:
Armory (Small Arms) Portable Toolkit $600
Armory (Armor) Portable Toolkit $600
Armory (Beam Weapons) Portable Toolkit $600
Sub-total: $1,800

Ship's Locker Consumables
60 Rechargeable C Batteries $600
40 Rechargeable B Batteries $120
40 Rechargeable A Batteries $80
40 Rechargeable AA Batteries $40
Sub-total: $840

Cargo Gear
4A67/8 Modular Cargo Container x3 (GT:FT57) This is for speculative cargo, I assume Contract Freight customers will provide their own boxes...) $90,000
Sub-total: $30,000

Ship's Locker Total: $174,070 ($179,726 if we pay full price for the survival chests.)
Remaining Cash: $345,800 ($340,144 if we pay full price for the survival chests.)
The tear gas slugs are so we can neutralize less cautious enemies (since in our vacc suits, we'd be immune. Obviously, if the enemy is in vacc suits these wouldn't work, but they're only $1.50 each, so why not). I also added 2 more Modular Cargo Containers for speculative freight. There is enough money left over for 1 more Sandcaster w/ a full ammo load if you want, it's only $254,800, leaving us just over $90,000 in the ship's purse. If we don't spend that money, the Ship's purser will roll that over into speculative cargo on Prometheus.

pup67vargr 08-18-2011 12:11 PM

The closest thing I can find about the spare parts question is on UltraTech p. 82 -- under Tool Kits. For vacc suit repairs, it looks like the appropriate thing would be a Portable Workshop for Armoury/Electrician/Mechanic/Machinist skill, which would cost $15,000, weigh 200 lbs, [10C/100 hr -- whatever that means?]

doulos05 08-18-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pup67vargr (Post 1233658)
The closest thing I can find about the spare parts question is on UltraTech p. 82 -- under Tool Kits. For vacc suit repairs, it looks like the appropriate thing would be a Portable Workshop for Armoury/Electrician/Mechanic/Machinist skill, which would cost $15,000, weigh 200 lbs, [10C/100 hr -- whatever that means?]

10C/100 hr means it uses 10C batteries and runs for 100 hours before the batteries need replaced/recharged. How much are we assuming the Workshop module already included on the Hiawatha gives us?

pup67vargr 08-18-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulos05 (Post 1233802)
10C/100 hr means it uses 10C batteries and runs for 100 hours before the batteries need replaced/recharged. How much are we assuming the Workshop module already included on the Hiawatha gives us?

I don't see a workshop module included in the plans for the Hero-class vessels. The rules only specify that a workshop is necessary for ships much, much larger that the Hiawatha. But, having said that, I have no problem with an ersatz workshop being made from some of the (limited) waste space in lower engineering. What were the rest of you thinking, if you had ideas about this situation?

pup67vargr 08-18-2011 04:49 PM

Looks like we're only missing sn0wball's Senior Chief ____, our Specialist/Interpreter/Gunner, to have a complete complement for the Hiawatha! Then the voyages can begin. Sn0wball, it doesn't have to be a 100% sheet for the Specialist yet, a name and some bare stats will do for now. And I'm pretty sure that not all of the posted characters are totally finished yet, but that's ok, too. Or we can wait until everything is finished for all characters. What say the players?

doulos05 08-18-2011 05:24 PM

I say let's launch soon. I've still got to set up Silvester's equipment list, but other than that, I'm good.

We do need to make sure someone puts at least 1 point in Armory (Small Arms), Armory (Beam Weapons), and Armory (Armor) for the purpose of equipment repairs.

doulos05 08-18-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pup67vargr (Post 1233809)
I don't see a workshop module included in the plans for the Hero-class vessels. The rules only specify that a workshop is necessary for ships much, much larger that the Hiawatha. But, having said that, I have no problem with an ersatz workshop being made from some of the (limited) waste space in lower engineering. What were the rest of you thinking, if you had ideas about this situation?

The Hero-class Stat Block has a Workshop in the Systems list. ISW defines a Workshop as having equipment and space enough for a single person to work, so I presume that Location 17 on the Deckplan (Lower Engineering) is the Workshop since it is the engineering space with a workstation. It also gives anyone attempting to repair the ship a +2 to their roll.

doulos05 08-18-2011 05:39 PM

Quick note: I'm hoping to be able to take advantage of the Speculative Trading rules, however it would appear our crew is too squeaky-clean to do so. We need at least 1 person with Streetwise in order to find it. Pup (Can I call you Pup?), can I re-write my Merchant/party face to add that skill? Not sure what I'll take it from yet... but I'll find something.

pup67vargr 08-18-2011 05:49 PM

By the way, that was a good call on this item:

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulos05
Cargo Gear
4A67/8 Modular Cargo Container x3 (GT:FT57) This is for speculative cargo, I assume Contract Freight customers will provide their own boxes...) $90,000
Sub-total: $30,000

And it's also good to get some use out of those earlier GURPS Traveller books, too! I have a number of them myself and look forward to occasionally pulling out a surprise from them. Heh!

pup67vargr 08-18-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulos05 (Post 1233834)
Quick note: I'm hoping to be able to take advantage of the Speculative Trading rules, however it would appear our crew is too squeaky-clean to do so. We need at least 1 person with Streetwise in order to find it. Pup (Can I call you Pup?), can I re-write my Merchant/party face to add that skill? Not sure what I'll take it from yet... but I'll find something.

Please do call me "Pup"! At this point you can certainly do that re-write, yes. I'm not so sure I agree with you on your assessment of being 'squeaky clean.' Things may look that way on paper, but then again, the reality may differ somewhat. To Paraphrase "Mrs. Gump", Forrest's mother: 'Squeaky clean is as squeaky clean does!'

doulos05 08-18-2011 05:59 PM

Well right, but given how bat-crap crazy we are, we all apparently went to/belong in the same White Collar Psych Ward. :)

pup67vargr 08-18-2011 06:26 PM

I think I would be well-within my prerogatives as GM to say: "Speak for Thyself, Oh Batty One!"

doulos05 08-18-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pup67vargr (Post 1233868)
I think I would be well-within my prerogatives as GM to say: "Speak for Thyself, Oh Batty One!"

Hey, Silvester is quasi-sane. It's the captain that's messed up.

pup67vargr 08-18-2011 08:44 PM

One more character to go still, and we can get underway!

sn0wball 08-18-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pup67vargr (Post 1233813)
Looks like we're only missing sn0wball's Senior Chief ____, our Specialist/Interpreter/Gunner, to have a complete complement for the Hiawatha! Then the voyages can begin. Sn0wball, it doesn't have to be a 100% sheet for the Specialist yet, a name and some bare stats will do for now. And I'm pretty sure that not all of the posted characters are totally finished yet, but that's ok, too. Or we can wait until everything is finished for all characters. What say the players?

Oh, he been waiting at the back door for some time, looking for approval ... I pasted his stats into post #51. Perhaps I should have used a new post for his stats. I´ll add his to the Crew Roster for easier review.

My two PCs are only waiting to be equipped.

sn0wball 08-18-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulos05 (Post 1233829)
I say let's launch soon. I've still got to set up Silvester's equipment list, but other than that, I'm good.

We do need to make sure someone puts at least 1 point in Armory (Small Arms), Armory (Beam Weapons), and Armory (Armor) for the purpose of equipment repairs.

My Chief covers Armory (Small Arms).

I´ve added Gear for the Doc. It is in the Crew Roster.

I slightly exceeded the 20% limit. For a born and longtime spacer the space suit might count as household gear, though ? If that is a problem, I can drop something.

As far as outstanding stuff is concerend, I´ve jumped on the Smart Vacc Suit wagon - this seems to be the thing a spacer might carry around. There is a biosniffer from the ISW equipment list - I´ve added the desciption. This seems to be the right kind of thing for a nosy medic and biologist to possess ...

doulos05 08-19-2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0wball (Post 1233996)
My Chief covers Armory (Small Arms).

Beam weapons defaults at -2, but armor is something completely different. Maybe your specialist can pick it up?

sn0wball 08-19-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulos05 (Post 1234002)
Beam weapons defaults at -2, but armor is something completely different. Maybe your specialist can pick it up?

Yeah, right. Make him even more quirky :)

I added the skill. I guess if you know how to blow holes in ships hulls or force your way though them, you might as well know how to patch it up.

Besides, those laser wielding wussies can tend their own stuff !

pup67vargr 08-19-2011 06:40 AM

Sorry, sn0wball, it never even occurred to me that someone might add a new character to an old post. Thanks for getting him up tothe RG. I don't have a problem with your vacc suit going "slightly"[?] over what's allowed PROVIDED the other players are also willing to let it slide.

Ok, then, looks like we're ready! The IC is ready and open for business!
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=82183

Let there be gaming!

sn0wball 08-19-2011 01:29 PM

Looking at the deckplan, say, were is the sickbay ? I think it is missing!

doulos05 08-19-2011 07:31 PM

I've checked every traveller supplement I know that I have that has a Beowulf deckplan. All of them have 1 thing in common. They have an Air/Raft on the deckplan but not in the systems list. Perhaps that's where the sickbay is? It'd be on the passenger deck beside the passengers in that case. Though that would mean we have no lifeboats....

pup67vargr 08-20-2011 12:09 PM

As an alternative sickbay placement, please consider these options:

1. A partitioned-off section of "24. Passenger Area,"
2. A partitioned-off section of "10. Special Cargo,"
3. Theoretically, "9. Low Berths" could double as sickbay,
or
4. A partitioned-off portion of "11. Upper Cargo."

[My personal suggestion is number 3, but my choice is entitled to no special weight above anyone else's.]

Any of these or another place on the ship could also be used without partitions separating "sickbay" from neighboring areas. I just thought that a little more privacy might be in order.

Another alternative would be to conduct examinations as "house calls" in the patient's stateroom, with medical supplies being kept in the 'Doc's' quarters or ship's stores or possibly both. Without some additional expenditure of funds, whatever ersatz sickbay the Hiawatha has is not going to have extensive diagnostic equipment. That includes: no x-rays, etc., and no sterile areas for surgery more extensive than small procedures that could be performed in any doctor's office.

pup67vargr 08-20-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorin Thorha (Post 1225768)
One way to deal with this [having too many players in a PbP, that is] is to encourage players to state plans ahead of time, so that in the event of someone being absent their character can "coast" for a bit on what they already said they were going to do.

However, I'm fine with just watching for now. I don't have a character statted up or even thought out yet anyway.

So are you still watching, Mr. Thorha? If so, do you have any ideas/input/anything at this time?

doulos05 08-20-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pup67vargr (Post 1234600)
As an alternative sickbay placement, please consider these options:

1. A partitioned-off section of "24. Passenger Area,"
2. A partitioned-off section of "10. Special Cargo,"
3. Theoretically, "9. Low Berths" could double as sickbay,
or
4. A partitioned-off portion of "11. Upper Cargo."

[My personal suggestion is number 3, but my choice is entitled to no special weight above anyone else's.]

Any of these or another place on the ship could also be used without partitions separating "sickbay" from neighboring areas. I just thought that a little more privacy might be in order.

Another alternative would be to conduct examinations as "house calls" in the patient's stateroom, with medical supplies being kept in the 'Doc's' quarters or ship's stores or possibly both. Without some additional expenditure of funds, whatever ersatz sickbay the Hiawatha has is not going to have extensive diagnostic equipment. That includes: no x-rays, etc., and no sterile areas for surgery more extensive than small procedures that could be performed in any doctor's office.

I'm down for it being #3, the low berth area. It kind of makes sense because the low berths are supposed to be monitored by someone with medical training during transit anyway.

pup67vargr 08-20-2011 09:09 PM

If the consensus is that sickbay be located where the low berths are, I would have no problem with there also being a certain amount of medical equipment, diagnostic machines, and so forth being located there. Just don't go crazy with it.

doulos05 08-21-2011 03:59 AM

From the description, it sounds like it's basically what you'd find in a Doctor's office (Crash kit, +5 to First Aid, counts as improvised equipment for surgery), with maybe a few specialty surgical tools to stabilize life-threatening conditions for the week you're in jumpspace.

As long as it's enough for the Doctor to act as a healer operating at full TL (TL9 according to ISW) when it comes to recovery rolls (50 patients/day, 2 rolls to recover an HP per day) and it lets us store drugs and crash kits without having to track it in cargo, I'm down. Also, obviously the 50 patients/day assumes they're walking wounded. If they have to be monitored full time, a sickbay is defined as having 2 beds/system.

EDIT: Sorry, if you can't tell, I read rulebooks for fun. In fact, I purchased GURPS a full year before I even began thinking about putting together a group simply because I like to read rulebooks and the D&D ones were boring.

pup67vargr 08-21-2011 07:40 AM

I share your penchant for reading rulebooks sometimes, doulos05. I didn't spend quite so long reading GURPS before I jumped in and tried it, though. And I disagree about the D&D rulebooks. I quite enjoy reading descriptions of spells and magic items in the rulebooks/modules from Third Party Publishers!

doulos05 08-21-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pup67vargr (Post 1235126)
I share your penchant for reading rulebooks sometimes, doulos05. I didn't spend quite so long reading GURPS before I jumped in and tried it, though. And I disagree about the D&D rulebooks. I quite enjoy reading descriptions of spells and magic items in the rulebooks/modules from Third Party Publishers!

Ok, yes. Those were cool. I'm not sure why the D&D books didn't grab my attention like GURPS. I believe that at least part of that is my love of Sci Fi over Fantasy. But then again, I've been an avid reader of GURPS Fantasy and GURPS Magic.

pup67vargr 08-21-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulos05 (Post 1235130)
Ok, yes. Those were cool. I'm not sure why the D&D books didn't grab my attention like GURPS. I believe that at least part of that is my love of Sci Fi over Fantasy. But then again, I've been an avid reader of GURPS Fantasy and GURPS Magic.

The only thing I can surmise is that GURPS books are more about flavor and fun, and D&D stuff has a tendency to sometimes emphasize rules and game mechanics over the fun part. GURPS has had a surprisingly large influence on D&D over the years, however. I credit GURPS with pretty much the whole skill system in D&D. Of course, WotC had to water it down a lot to mesh it with their character class format.

pup67vargr 08-31-2011 09:18 PM

doulos05, feel free to land the Hiawatha on Prometheus whenever you're ready. I liked the way you handled that on Ember. Make it as interesting as you like, just don't get carried away too much. I'm perfectly willing to let you borrow some creative control here, but I'm not giving you the keys to my GM Corvette just yet.
:-)

doulos05 09-01-2011 04:58 PM

But I like Corvettes!

Seriously, I hope I can write something up today but I've been moving onto my friend's couch this week. At any rate, if MisterJuan wants to handle the landing sequence itself, I'll add the commo side afterwards.

pup67vargr 09-01-2011 08:06 PM

That works. Have at it Mr.Juan, if the urge strikes. It was not my intention to imply that only doulos05 had these privileges. This has been a communal effort so far, and I like the result, so keep it up, everyone!

doulos05 - "moving onto your friend's couch" seems like you've been through some rough times lately perhaps? Bet you're glad that you at least have a friend who has an empty couch, though! I wish all the best for you throughout your present circumstances, regardless!

pup67vargr 09-03-2011 08:57 PM

Here is a trial system for cargo. There is probably one in Far Trader, come to think of it, but for now, let's give my algorithm a shot and see what it gives us:

For finding cargo for the TSS Hiawatha to take from Prometheus onward, on their trip to Ninkhur Sagga [2222], the required throw will be 14-. Post that throw in the IC. On a success, make a second throw of 5d. Ten times that result will be the tonnage of the cargo. If the Hiawatha does not have sufficient space to take all of the cargo, then an additional throw of 12- will be required for the shipper to permit you to take less than the total shipment.

If there is additional cargo, it will most likely be bound for Agidda [1824], the next garden world along your route, but not necessarily. Make another throw. On a 8+ it is going to Agidda [1824]. On 5-7 it's going to Nusku [1822]. On 4- it's going to Ishimshulgi [2021]. Post this destination throw in the IC as well.

So up to four throws should be posted:
1. 14- for Cargo availability [if this isn't made, no other throws are necessary]
2. 5d [X10 tons] for size of cargo
3. 12- for permission to take less than a total shipment [this could also be a deal breaker if the cargo is larger than the space available on the Hiawatha]

and finally,
4. 3d for destination [ 8+ Agidda, 5-7 Nusku, 4- Ishimshulgi]

doulos05 09-04-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pup67vargr (Post 1242204)
Here is a trial system for cargo. There is probably one in Far Trader, come to think of it, but for now, let's give my algorithm a shot and see what it gives us:

For finding cargo for the TSS Hiawatha to take from Prometheus onward, on their trip to Ninkhur Sagga [2222], the required throw will be 14-. Post that throw in the IC. On a success, make a second throw of 5d. Ten times that result will be the tonnage of the cargo. If the Hiawatha does not have sufficient space to take all of the cargo, then an additional throw of 12- will be required for the shipper to permit you to take less than the total shipment.

If there is additional cargo, it will most likely be bound for Agidda [1824], the next garden world along your route, but not necessarily. Make another throw. On a 8+ it is going to Agidda [1824]. On 5-7 it's going to Nusku [1822]. On 4- it's going to Ishimshulgi [2021]. Post this destination throw in the IC as well.

So up to four throws should be posted:
1. 14- for Cargo availability [if this isn't made, no other throws are necessary]
2. 5d [X10 tons] for size of cargo
3. 12- for permission to take less than a total shipment [this could also be a deal breaker if the cargo is larger than the space available on the Hiawatha]

and finally,
4. 3d for destination [ 8+ Agidda, 5-7 Nusku, 4- Ishimshulgi]

This seems really simple, which is nice. I'd almost prefer that it be dependent upon my character's skill somehow, but I'm content with it being entirely random since, really, it's not like my guy's amazing Merchant skill will magically make people want to ship their stuff to other people in other star systems.

pup67vargr 09-05-2011 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulos05 (Post 1242579)
This seems really simple, which is nice. I'd almost prefer that it be dependent upon my character's skill somehow, but I'm content with it being entirely random since, really, it's not like my guy's amazing Merchant skill will magically make people want to ship their stuff to other people in other star systems.

No, you're absolutely right! There should be an easy way to figure a merchants' skill into the equation. I thought of sme ways, just now, but they are overly complex and not really workable. So I'm open to suggestions.

pup67vargr 09-09-2011 04:47 PM

You still watching, Dorin Thorha? And are there any other lurkers watching? Dorin, do you feel like you are learning the ins and outs of the default GURPS Traveller setting yet? Ready to give it a shot?

Centisteed 09-10-2011 08:22 AM

Is there any room for new players? I'm just now reading
about this thread. I haven't seen a GURPS Traveller game
on the board yet. There was one on enworld that I played
for a little bit, but the GM got slightly ridiculous & when
he took a week's break, I unofficially quit. :/

pup67vargr 09-10-2011 12:32 PM

Hate to tell you this, Centisteed, but that "slightly ridiculous" GM on ENWorld and I are one and the same. [And, I'm happy to report that the re-tooled GURPS Traveller game that I'm running there is alive and well, and I just posted today in fact.] Plus, I've already turned at least one away from this game, so if there are to be players added now, there's at least one in line ahead of you, assuming that you'd even want to still play knowing with whom you're now dealing, and also assuming that I would allow you to play after you unceremoniously quit my game before.

Centisteed 09-10-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pup67vargr (Post 1245684)
Hate to tell you this, Centisteed, but that "slightly ridiculous" GM on ENWorld and I are one and the same. [And, I'm happy to report that the re-tooled GURPS Traveller game that I'm running there is alive and well, and I just posted today in fact.] Plus, I've already turned at least one away from this game, so if there are to be players added now, there's at least one in line ahead of you, assuming that you'd even want to still play knowing with whom you're now dealing, and also assuming that I would allow you to play after you unceremoniously quit my game before.

Oh really? Well it wasn't entirely bad, but it's your
game & I wasn't really grooving to it towards the
start of June. It lost its momentum & I couldn't
bring myself to come back to it. The lack of replies
& the long times it took to see an update helped
to lose interest. When you went on vacation, I reached
a point where I no longer cared & put my eye out
for other games.

Plus it seemed you were railroading a bit. I came
up with a plan (breaking & entering some area),
somebody agreed to it, & you shot it down. So it's
like "why am I here?". That was the slightly
ridiculous part I was referring to. Also the comedic
comments didn't fit the realism that I would expect
in a Traveller game & broke suspension of disbelief.
I believe I mentioned this once or twice. Everything
I've heard about Traveller from other users points to
it breaking down once the comedy sets in. It definitely
felt that way.

I didn't want to get ugly, so I just left it at that. Anyway,
that's my constructive criticism of that game. Perhaps
you'll do better with it here. I really wish we had some
true Traveller grognards out there that would run a
pbp game. I've read a ton of science fiction & feel I
could jump into doing it, had I the time. Perhaps one
day (trying to learn Chinese right now :/).

pup67vargr 09-10-2011 09:26 PM

Be that as it may, I wish you good fortune and happy hunting in your search for another game.

pup67vargr 09-13-2011 06:23 AM

Now that I as GM have been thoroughly critiqued by a dissatisfied player from the fairly recent past, do any of the current players in this game have any comments or wish to withdraw? Personally, I prefer to go on with our game here and resist the urge to respond in kind with critiques of players, past or otherwise. Hopefully there will be no further rude hijacks of our OOC thread.

ONCE AGAIN, THIS GAME IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED!

sn0wball 09-13-2011 09:20 AM

What was between you and another player in another campaign on another forum isn´t of particular interest to me.

It is a bit early for real criticism, but as of yet, I have nothing to complain about.

doulos05 09-13-2011 05:39 PM

I'm still game, heh heh.

pup67vargr 09-13-2011 07:39 PM

Thanks sn0wball & doulos05! :-) That's the response that I hoped to receive.

doulos05 09-15-2011 05:23 PM

Sorry for the continued delays in posting. I'm supposed to be in an apartment on 20 September. Then, then my life should stabilize a bit.

pup67vargr 09-15-2011 06:05 PM

No problem, doulos05. I wish you much success in achieving stability in your life. :-) Either/both of our other players are invited to proceed with the action if they wish to do so.

pup67vargr 09-26-2011 09:55 PM

Does Dr. Chevalier have more that she wants to investigate regarding the medical profession while here on Prometheus? Anybody else have anything? If so, please feel free to post before doulos05 gets caught up and flings us off to Barnard! :-P

sn0wball 09-27-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pup67vargr (Post 1253996)
Does Dr. Chevalier have more that she wants to investigate regarding the medical profession while here on Prometheus? Anybody else have anything? If so, please feel free to post before doulos05 gets caught up and flings us off to Barnard! :-P

As far as she is concerned, we are ready to go.

pup67vargr 10-20-2011 06:42 PM

Leaving tomorrow afternoon for the weekend. Will be without a computer until Sunday evening. "See" you then! ;-)

pup67vargr 10-24-2011 08:44 PM

Got back home last night. Hmm, still not much happening here. Seems like this game may be headed for the same fate suffered by every other Traveller game I've ever played in or run: After the crew finds themselves in space, it's not long before someone (or everyone) starts asking, 'So now what?'

I thought that I might be able to answer that question, but if no one is interested in the answer, what good does it do? If there's still interest in playing, I'm certainly willing to continue the GMing. Maybe we can even find something that will be fun to do? :-)

doulos05 10-25-2011 06:28 AM

For my part, I'm sorry. I thought that the low time commitment would permit me to get involved, but unfortunately I've been unable. I'm going through an incredibly difficult period in my life, my faith, and my marriage (and, by extension, my finances) and have found myself completely devoid of creative anything.

In the interests of permitting those with the time and creativity to play, I'm going to respectfully bow out of this campaign. Pup, once I come through the other side of this, if you're running a game and you'll take me back, I'll look you up. But honestly, it won't be this year and probably won't be next year either.

pup67vargr 10-25-2011 08:27 PM

Thanks, Doulos05. Your endorsement of my GMing means a great deal to me. I'll probably be doing something on here when you're feeling ready. If I'm running a game, you'll be welcome. If I'm playing, I'll keep on playing and start running a game on the side, too. All of the players in this game are fantastic players in my book, and you're certainly no exception to that rule doulos05. I wish you all the best in your endeavors, and I especially hope that you and your mate find again the bliss that you once shared. Cherish that relationship, nurture it, and work hard for it, even when you don't want to do so and don't think that you can. Just do that. Never give up. Never surrender. Great will be your reward in the end.

Anyone else have any announcements, sn0wball and Mister Juan? Any suggestions? Should we continue? Start over? Do you guys want to each take one of doulos05's characters and continue as before? I'm open to any of these suggestions and probably any different ones that you guys can think of as well.