Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   First TL-9 items (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=175214)

Tom Mazanec 10-03-2021 06:46 AM

First TL-9 items
 
With the Basic Set giving TL-9 as ~2025 what items now in R&D are likely to be the first of this TL on the Market? AR glasses? Self-driving cars?

Phantasm 10-03-2021 07:25 AM

Re: First TL-9 items
 
As far as I'm concerned, we're already TL9 in computer technology. My own hope is that bionic prostheses come along soon.

whswhs 10-03-2021 07:49 AM

Re: First TL-9 items
 
Apple computers with the new custom made chip.

Thorium fission reactors.

mRNA vaccines, pushed ahead a bit by recent events.

Fred Brackin 10-03-2021 08:18 AM

Re: First TL-9 items
 
We probably crossed over into TL9 levels of DR for the vest and trauma plates styles of armor some time ago. See Kenneth Peters' update on the subject in Pyramid 3/57 (itself 8 years old).

There are some limited production guns that exceed UT's numbers for conventional firearms even without electrothermal technology. They just use higher pressures without electrothermal.

Actually the not-so-rare S&W .500 Magnum pistol exceeds Gurps TL9 numbers and is more than a decade old. I know of a 7.5mm pistol that does about 4d P which is a little more than a UT TL electrothermal in that caliber (without goign from P- to P too).

The thrust-to-weight ratios for Spacex's current rocket engines exceed any given for any TL in Ve2.

Rolando 10-03-2021 10:34 AM

Re: First TL-9 items
 
Those guns may just be TL8 high quality or some such. They are still TL8 technology, just a very good design.

I think prosthetics and robotics are already in early TL9 though.

SilvercatMoonpaw 10-03-2021 10:47 AM

Re: First TL-9 items
 
Aren't we using artificial retroviruses to do genetic engineering? Or am I just misinterpreting how that works?

Fred Brackin 10-03-2021 11:26 AM

Re: First TL-9 items
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolando (Post 2398406)
Those guns may just be TL8 high quality or some such. They are still TL8 technology, just a very good design.

.

Nope, quality bonuses do not raise firearms damage. We might be looking at a place where Gurps has mis-estimated where the limits of firearms damage are but materials, weight and chamber pressure are where all the important differences in firearms between TL6 and TL8 are. If crossing one breakpoint takes you from TL 6 to 7 and then to 8 then crossing another might well take you to 9.

Ulzgoroth 10-03-2021 12:25 PM

Re: First TL-9 items
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw (Post 2398408)
Aren't we using artificial retroviruses to do genetic engineering? Or am I just misinterpreting how that works?

We can do, for certain values of 'artificial', but I don't think it's actually a preferred approach at this point. Not that I have a good survey of what genomic manipulation methods are popular. There are other options for achieving genomic integration of new material that are used a lot and have probably better properties and better hype both, though.

warellis 10-03-2021 04:54 PM

Re: First TL-9 items
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Brackin (Post 2398398)
We probably crossed over into TL9 levels of DR for the vest and trauma plates styles of armor some time ago. See Kenneth Peters' update on the subject in Pyramid 3/57 (itself 8 years old).

There are some limited production guns that exceed UT's numbers for conventional firearms even without electrothermal technology. They just use higher pressures without electrothermal.

Actually the not-so-rare S&W .500 Magnum pistol exceeds Gurps TL9 numbers and is more than a decade old. I know of a 7.5mm pistol that does about 4d P which is a little more than a UT TL electrothermal in that caliber (without goign from P- to P too).

The thrust-to-weight ratios for Spacex's current rocket engines exceed any given for any TL in Ve2.

Regarding ceramics and body armor, there was advancement in how they're made:
Quote:

The price of ceramic armor dropped dramatically starting about 10-12 years ago in the US, though it's taken time for that to proliferate around the world. The reason for this is instead of hot pressing the ceramic powder into the plate we can now do it cold and just use mechanical pressure to create the binding effect. The prior high temperature precision process was very expensive in energy, and required rather expensive equipment to do the heating correctly with more potential for error in general.

This is also why you now see dramatically more use of ceramic armor on all kinds of light armor vehicles as applique as well as ships, aircraft and lol, Turkey built a new armored train with ceramic armor recently.

The other aspects of body armor have also come down in cost but in a more progressive fashion. In practice though the US didn't use this technology to make the armor cheaper, it held the cost about equal and used it to make the armor better, as improvements in the microstructure of the armor went hand in hand with gaining the ability to cold press it. Other people have gone for the cheap option and you can now get Level III ceramic plates for under 300 dollars US while in the not so long ago past they cost a thousand or more.

In general though ceramic armor of all sorts gets more expensive per weight the thicker the actual plates. Which is itself a disincentive to reducing weapons calibers and thinking that will somehow defeat armor. You don't just let the enemy use lighter armor at that point, they'll also inherently spend less money on the material.

Žorkell 10-03-2021 06:39 PM

Re: First TL-9 items
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec (Post 2398390)
Self-driving cars?

Many of the systems required for self driving cars are already here. We already have (adaptive) cruise control, lane departure warning, automatic brakes. What is needed is work to tie these systems together.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.