Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Would Magic Resistence With Area Effect Protect Me From All Magic? (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=160688)

scc 11-19-2018 03:03 AM

Would Magic Resistence With Area Effect Protect Me From All Magic?

Just what it says in the title, normally Magic Resistance only protects you from spells that are resistible, but how would Area Effect change this?

Refplace 11-19-2018 03:08 AM

Re: Would Magic Resistence With Area Effect Protect Me From All Magic?

It would count as a penalty to any caster within the area who cast spells, regardless of the target.
Not really much extra utility since Regular spells are typically cast pretty close to the target and you would need a large area to encompass those using Missile spells who prefer to attack from farther away.
More useful in a dungeon where they have to be close anyhow though.

evileeyore 11-19-2018 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refplace (Post 2223130)
It would count as a penalty to any caster within the area who cast spells, regardless of the target.

Would it?

This seems like a suspiciously easy way to cripple enemy mages.

Culture20 11-19-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refplace (Post 2223130)

Wouldn’t it need “affects others” first?

To the OP: keep in mind that most missile spells create a physical effect that is no longer considered magic (fire/lightning/rocks/etc), unlike that other game.

AlexanderHowl 11-19-2018 08:18 AM

It would need Force Field with Affects Others and Area Effect to impact magic that crosses its border, but it has no impact within its borders (Powers, p. 107-108). For an area effect like what the poster wants, you need Mana Damper.

Refplace 11-19-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culture20 (Post 2223159)
Wouldn’t it need “affects others” first?

To the OP: keep in mind that most missile spells create a physical effect that is no longer considered magic (fire/lightning/rocks/etc), unlike that other game.

I thought about that and would not object to it. But that would also add to thier resistance roll.
So just as an area that acts as a penalty to all spells cast from within the area seems about right.

starslayer 11-21-2018 01:31 PM

Magic resistance only affects resistable spells. Adding area effect would make it harder to affect things in your proximity, but that still leaves a lot of options and will be subject to a lot of gm interpretation.

If you want to make casting magic harder you need mana damper, and/ may still need enough area to get the mage inside it.

Refplace 11-21-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starslayer (Post 2223555)
Magic resistance only affects resistable spells. Adding area effect would make it harder to affect things in your proximity, but that still leaves a lot of options and will be subject to a lot of gm interpretation.

If you want to make casting magic harder you need mana damper, and/ may still need enough area to get the mage inside it.

MagicResistance does add to your resistance (for which I think Affects others would be needed) but it also lowers the effective skill for those casting a spell on a target with it. Not just resisted spells but also healing, information, etc.

ravenfish 11-21-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refplace (Post 2223581)
MagicResistance does add to your resistance (for which I think Affects others would be needed) but it also lowers the effective skill for those casting a spell on a target with it. Not just resisted spells but also healing, information, etc.

But bear in mind that missile spells, etc., are considered to be cast on one's own hand when the missile is created, not cast on the eventual target at which it is thrown, so will never take any skill penalties from magic resistance of the "target".

Refplace 11-21-2018 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenfish (Post 2223594)
But bear in mind that missile spells, etc., are considered to be cast on one's own hand when the missile is created, not cast on the eventual target at which it is thrown, so will never take any skill penalties from magic resistance of the "target".

See my response earlier in this thread. If its an area and it acts as a sort of limited mana damper it would if the caster is in the area.