Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   So, how great is Kromm anyway? (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=19833)

Icelander 09-20-2006 01:29 PM

So, how great is Kromm anyway?

I felt that it was a bit lonely in this section of the forum so I thought I'd start a discussion on how great our Lord and Prophet, Dr. Kromm, is. I mean, how are any visitors supposed to be able to see that we are all insane GURPS fanboys if we don't even have a thread on how great the Line Editor is?

I'll start.

He's the greatest thing since the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Icelander 09-20-2006 01:38 PM

Re: So, how great is Kromm anyway?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakubak
You need to change your avatar so it has a pucker. ;)

I doubt that would be work safe, or indeed that it could be construed as offensive and shocking.

I could be courting legal trouble. ;)

The Fox 09-20-2006 02:13 PM

How great is Kromm? Well...

I heard that once someone bumped into Kromm without apologizing, so Kromm roundhouse kicked the guy's head off.

Icelander 09-20-2006 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPsycohed
How great is Kromm? Well...

I heard that once someone bumped into Kromm without apologizing, so Kromm roundhouse kicked the guy's head off.

OMG!!!

I've never seen Kromm and Chuck Norris in the same place!!!

That must mean they are the same person!!!

Kromm is so great that according to Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity, he can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday.

Hakubak 09-20-2006 02:23 PM

"OMG" in 48pt text with three exclamation points.

Icelander, you are officially a 12 year old girl.

Icelander 09-20-2006 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakubak
"OMG" in 48pt text with three exclamation points.

Icelander, you are officially a 12 year old girl.

I am rather proud of my cunning impersonation.

I'm learning to use all the extra features on vBulletin that I've never bothered to notice.

See?

Qoltar 09-20-2006 02:48 PM

I think I met "Kromm" when he was either in a bad mood or I was - he was still a pretty cool guy.
Either that or one of us was just having a rough day.

In e-mail he has always been a very cool guy with me.

- Ed Charlton

Icelander 09-20-2006 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qoltar
I think I met "Kromm" when he was either in a bad mood or I was - he was still a pretty cool guy.
Either that or one of us was just having a rough day.

In e-mail he has always been a very cool guy with me.

- Ed Charlton

Looks like you narrowly escaped having your head roundhouse kicked off. ;)

sir_pudding 09-20-2006 04:09 PM

Did you hear about the time Mike Pondsmith and Kromm were guests of honor at the same con? The entire hotel collapsed because one building cannot contain that much awesome!

Icelander 09-20-2006 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Did you hear about the time Mike Pondsmith and Kromm were guests of honor at the same con? The entire hotel collapsed because one buliding cannot contain that much awesome!

"Giggity giggity giggity!"

Who's Mike Pondsmith?* ;)

*Not really into videogames and don't like Cyberpunk 2020.

Anyway, I heard that there isn't a Theory of Evolution. It's all a lie. There's just a list of things Dr. Kromm allows to live.

sir_pudding 09-20-2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icelander
Who's Mike Pondsmith?* ;)
Cyberpunk 2020.

Umm, you answered your own question. In the original Chuck Norris joke it was Mr. T.

Icelander 09-20-2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Umm, you answered your own question. In the original Chuck Norris joke it was Mr. T.

It was a rhetorical question. Meant as a joke. You know: "Who the hell is that guy?"

Anyway, I heard that Dr. Kromm is so great that he's the one who hands out the speeding ticket if you pass the speed of light.

Andrew Hackard 09-20-2006 06:20 PM

Dr. Kromm is so awesome that SJG had to slow down the GURPS release schedule to avoid overwhelming the U.S. economy with his mighty Canadian export fu.

Icelander 09-20-2006 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard
Dr. Kromm is so awesome that SJG had to slow down the GURPS release schedule to avoid overwhelming the U.S. economy with his mighty Canadian export fu.

Mighty indeed are the deeds of Sifu Kromm.

I also heard that Dr. Kromm's tears can cure Munchkinism. Unfortunately he never cries (and kind of likes Munchkins anyway).

Christopher R. Rice 09-20-2006 11:38 PM

>.> I heard Kromm once shot down a Messerschmitt by pointing his finger and yelling *Bang*

Andrew Hackard 09-21-2006 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostdancer
>.> I heard Kromm once shot down a Messerschmitt by pointing his finger and yelling *Bang*

Whaddaya mean, "once"? Kromm was the secret defence of Britain during the Blitz!

Icelander 09-21-2006 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostdancer

I heard that when he did it he was in Canada and the Messerschmitt was in Germany.

On the ground.

zorg 09-21-2006 06:39 AM

Kromm ain't so tough. He's not even a Demon Prince.

I see your Kromm and counter with one Hackard.

Icelander 09-21-2006 06:57 AM

[COLOR=Black]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard
Whaddaya mean, "once"? Kromm was the secret defence of Britain during the Blitz!

And while there, he invented the radar, aircraft fire-control systems and radio game shows.

He also broke Margaret Thatcher's heart so badly that she never got over it.

Icelander 09-21-2006 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorg
Kromm ain't so tough. He's not even a Demon Prince.

I see your Kromm and counter with one Hackard.

I demand that you start another thread about Andrew Hackard!

Otherwise I shall ask said person to employ his powers of moderatorhood to pare away this off-topic discussion!

And besides, I heard Kromm is one-eighth Demon Prince. Nope, he's not descended from it, the man ate a freaking demon!

zorg 09-21-2006 07:10 AM

Quote:

I demand that you start another thread about Andrew Hackard!

I'm perfectly on-topic. You asked "How great is Kromm", and I replied "Not half as great as Hackard". This is a legal comparison by the rules of this forum, and perfectly true on top of it.

I demand that you abstain from putting forth unreasonable demands, otherwise I will report you to one of the discussed individuals. I will also cause a tribe of rabid gorillas to have congress with you, if you know what I mean.

Also, this fawning and debasing oneself is pointless, anyway. I have tried to get custom-user-titled "Lowly Lickspittle" already, and any amount of shameless flattery and toadying didn't work. So you can stop your efforts.

Icelander 09-21-2006 08:23 AM

Quote:

I'm perfectly on-topic. You asked "How great is Kromm", and I replied "Not half as great as Hackard". This is a legal comparison by the rules of this forum, and perfectly true on top of it.

Without some benchmark to ascertain the greatness of Andrew Hackard, the comparison is meaningless. It's like saying: "It's hotter than X" without defining X. It's not even a comparison, it's just a irrelevant statement with no further information value.

If you want your comparison to be valid, we need a benchmark for Andrew Hackard's greatness. I propose that you immediately open a thread by which means we shall accomplish that task. Otherwise I shall consider it incumbent upon me to act in such a way as to ensure that this necessary function is executed.

Quote:

I demand that you abstain from putting forth unreasonable demands, otherwise I will report you to one of the discussed individuals. I will also cause a tribe of rabid gorillas to have congress with you, if you know what I mean.

Hah! Gorillas travel in packs, not tribes* and they very rarely infected by the virus.**

*Disputed, certainly.
**They can succumb to it easily enough, they are just not often in a position to be infected.

Quote:

Also, this fawning and debasing oneself is pointless, anyway. I have tried to get custom-user-titled "Lowly Lickspittle" already, and any amount of shameless flattery and toadying didn't work. So you can stop your efforts.

Foolish mortal!

My plan is not a mere desire to advance myself, but meant to improve the lot of the whole human race.

If Sean Punch feels more appreciated, he will enjoy a better working environment. That might lead to more productivity and thus, the human race might receive the coveted 4e books such as Martial Arts and High-Tech faster.

And I heard once that Dr. Kromm could edit the entire Encyclopædia Britannica in forty minutes flat and still have time to shag the typist and smoke a Cuban afterwards.

zorg 09-21-2006 08:30 AM

This is all futile. Let's simply have a Celebrity Deathmatch and agree on worshipping the survivor.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 08:36 AM

But your God is Kromm and he lives in the Earth. And he made the Riddle Of Steel.

Icelander 09-21-2006 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spudzill
But your God is Kromm and he lives in the Earth. And he made the Riddle Of Steel.

Yeah, CONAN!!!

Conan is almost as great as Kromm is.

I heard that Conan once tried to tell Kromm that a Roundhouse-Revenge-of-the-Baby-Seals-GM-Smack wasn't really an effective attack in battle. This is widely regarded by historians as being the worst decision ever made.

zorg 09-21-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

When you tell Kromm your prayers, he laughs at you. He's a strong god.

On the other hand, Andrew is the infinite sky - he is above Kromm, and Kromm can't reach him.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 08:46 AM

yes, but it was countered by the " Let's settle this by drinking Jack Daniels until we puke. First to puke loses." Conan won that day.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 08:48 AM

Kromm I have never prayed to you, i have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember whether we were good men or bad.

Icelander 09-21-2006 08:52 AM

Quote:

This is all futile. Let's simply have a Celebrity Deathmatch and agree on worshipping the survivor.

Aha!!!

So you are a monotheist, are you?

Out to oppress and persecute the minority polytheists, is that what you were planning?

Well, it won't work!

I submit that we shall venerate both.

But until you provide some benchmark for Andrew Hackard's greatness, I shall maintain that Kromm's mighty Editorial Powers are far greater than those envisioned by your lowly mind as belonging to Andrew Hackard.

In any event, I heard that Kromm once kicked Andrew Hackard into the future where he hit a time machine built by future-Kromm so hard that the time machine was sent back to our time. Kromm then travelled back in time and invented both D&D and Man-to-Man in concert with their writers disguised as a "mysterious stranger they met at the pub".

dravenloft 09-21-2006 08:52 AM

Quote:

Kromm I have never prayed to you, i have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember whether we were good men or bad.

Ah, but Almighty Kromm cares not about alignment. That is a null word. He cares that we demonstrate common sense in our roleplaying and interpretation of The Rules.

zorg 09-21-2006 08:53 AM

Quote:

But if you don't help me now, then damn you!

(going from memory)

Icelander 09-21-2006 08:54 AM

Quote:

yes, but it was countered by the " Let's settle this by drinking Jack Daniels until we puke. First to puke loses." Conan won that day.

Only because Kromm, in his greatness, decided that magnanimity in defeat was better than arrogance in victory. ;)

Spudzill 09-21-2006 08:54 AM

It's To hell with you, actually. God, I love that movie. Have you seen my sig?

zorg 09-21-2006 08:55 AM

Quote:

But until you provide some benchmark for Andrew Hackard's greatness,...

I did, in post #26. If this isn't kick-ass enough, then I don't know what else is.

zorg 09-21-2006 08:56 AM

Quote:

It's To hell with you, actually. God, I love that movie. Have you seen my sig?

Yep :) Unfortunately, I can't turn off the subtitles in my DVD version.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 08:56 AM

Quote:

Only because Kromm, in his greatness, decided that magnamity in defeat was better than arrogance in victory. ;)

Well, maybe. He did laugh at Conan the next day while Conan was hung over. And then cast him from Valhalla. Of course, that could be that when questioned about the Riddle of Steel, all Conan could say is "Powerful Big Rats..."

Icelander 09-21-2006 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dravenloft
Ah, but Almighty Kromm cares not about alignment. That is a null word. He cares that we demonstrate common sense in our roleplaying and interpretation of The Rules.

And that we never stray from the path and become Adversarial Players.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kromm the Source of All Wisdom
I agree. When I hear a player talking about how he "needs" to know about all the other details, I hear a player who is being adversarial to the GM and simply not trusting him to "get it right." Players like that make baby seals die and cause cancer with prolonged exposure. I don't write books for them.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 08:58 AM

Quote:

Yep :) Unfortunately, I can't turn off the subtitles in my DVD version.

Get a new DVD. Quick!

zorg 09-21-2006 09:02 AM

Quote:

Get a new DVD. Quick!

I'm afraid that won't help. afaik, all Conan DVDs sold in Germany have un-off-turnable subtitles. Some weird copyright issue - same as we couldn't get Léon for years with an English language option.

Icelander 09-21-2006 09:02 AM

Quote:

Well, maybe. He did laugh at Conan the next day while Conan was hung over. And then cast him from Valhalla. Of course, that could be that when questioned about the Riddle of Steel, all Conan could say is "Powerful Big Rats..."

Who remembers not Conan's terrible exertions when he was asked to think by the sorceress? ;)

Anyway, I heard that Kromm bought Valhalla for his cat and fed Odin to it.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 09:12 AM

Odin...was that the snake that Thorngrimm raised himself?

Icelander 09-21-2006 09:24 AM

Quote:

Odin...was that the snake that Thorngrimm raised himself?

Nope, main god of the Aesier, the Old Norse Gods.

Valhalla was his house.

Until Kromm bought it for his cat, obviously.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 09:34 AM

I read that there is a revival of the worship of the Aesir. Called Usutru or something very similar. It's supposed to have its start in Iceland.( The revival that is.)

Icelander 09-21-2006 09:34 AM

Quote:

I did, in post #26. If this isn't kick-ass enough, then I don't know what else is.

A seperate thread where you sing Andrew Hackard's praises would be a start.

Otherwise you clearly do not find him great enough for such a thread.

And besides, Kromm's reach is infinite, just like his greatness.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

Nope, main god of the Aesier, the Old Norse Gods.

Valhalla was his house.

Until Kromm bought it for his cat, obviously.

BTW I knew that.:)

Icelander 09-21-2006 09:36 AM

[COLOR=Black]
Quote:

I read that there is a revival of the worship of the Aesir. Called Usutru or something very similar. It's supposed to have its start in Iceland.( The revival that is.)

Ásatrú.

Yes, we have people who worshipe the Aesir. We also have Muslims, Buddhists, Hindu and several denominitions of Christians. Not to mention all the other faiths I've forgotten to mention.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 09:46 AM

Quote:

[COLOR=Black]
Ásatrú.

Yes, we have people who worshipe the Aesir. We also have Muslims, Buddhists, Hindu and several denominitions of Christians. Not to mention all the other faiths I've forgotten to mention.

I didn't imply otherwise. I was mutating the topic as we were speaking of the Aesir. I think worshipping the Aesir is more cool than I have words for, really. I just hope that the racists don't try to make it theirs.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 09:47 AM

Of course, it isn't as cool as worshipping Kromm.

Icelander 09-21-2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

I didn't imply otherwise. I was mutating the topic as we were speaking of the Aesir. I think worshipping the Aesir is more cool than I have words for, really. I just hope that the racists don't try to make it theirs.

Racists have a right to their beliefs are much as anyone else, as long as they don't harm anyone.

Of course, it doesn't mean we have to like them or listen to them, but I'm afraid there is little we can do about them if we want to have freedom of speech as a real concept, instead of a hypocritical masque.

Well, we could always ask Kromm to make them go away.

Icelander 09-21-2006 09:58 AM

Quote:

Of course, it isn't as cool as worshipping Kromm.

Nothing is as cool as the veneration of Kromm.

Except of course Kromm himself, who is much cooler.

He's fricking subzero.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 10:03 AM

Every Die is sacred, every Die is great, if a Die is wasted Kromm gets quite irate!

Icelander 09-21-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Every Die is sacred, every Die is great, if a Die is wasted Kromm gets quite irate!

Venerating Kromm the Monty Python way?

There are worse ways, I suppose.

Besides, I heard that every joke Monty Python ever told was the result of John Cleese and Terry Gilliam once spending two hours in a train with Dr. Kromm.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 10:09 AM

truly, you are blessed. Thrice blessed.

Icelander 09-21-2006 10:13 AM

Quote:

truly, you are blessed. Thrice blessed.

"Blessed are those that are conscious of God; thrice blessed are those that are so completely dissolved in their love for God, that God’s own Consciousness radiantly expresses Itself through their intelligence, through the expressions of their heart, their actions and their works."
-Swami Omkarananda

Thanks.

Obviously, not as blessed as Kromm, though.

He is not only blessed by his awesomeness, his GURPS-fu and his Great Editorial Powers; but also with our love and devotion.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 10:18 AM

Goes without saying.

Icelander 09-21-2006 10:28 AM

Quote:

Goes without saying.

That't what too many men think, to the detriment of their relationships.

For is it not written that you must tell your love how much you love her every day?

Spudzill 09-21-2006 10:35 AM

Nah. They prefer you just give them your Credit cards anyway.

Icelander 09-21-2006 10:39 AM

Quote:

Nah. They prefer you just give them your Credit cards anyway.

Aha. you see, this is a fallacy.

Is it not sung that money cannot buy love?

You can, however, Rent it.

Of course, Kromm loves us all unconditionally. Except when we are bad.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 10:46 AM

I can't afford to buy anyways, so I have to rent. It's almost as good and you can get someone else to pay for the repairs.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 11:04 AM

Besides if you give Kromm your credit cards, He will love you. But it will be a Platonic love, none of that icky physical stuff, we're not His type.

Icelander 09-21-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

I can't afford to buy anyways, so I have to rent. It's almost as good and you can get someone else to pay for the repairs.

Aha, but as the philosopher said:

Why pay for the milk when you can get the cow by saying "I do" in His holy name?

Icelander 09-21-2006 11:31 AM

Quote:

Besides if you give Kromm your credit cards, He will love you. But it will be a Platonic love, none of that icky physical stuff, we're not His type.

I think that it would be more of a Platinium love...

;)

Spudzill 09-21-2006 11:33 AM

Nevertheless, He would love you for your Credit Cards. You would literally have an Interest in Valhalla.(At about 19% nowadays.)

Icelander 09-21-2006 11:40 AM

Quote:

Nevertheless, He would love you for your Credit Cards. You would literally have an Interest in Valhalla.(At about 19% nowadays.)

Not unless you gave the credit cards to His cat.

Kromm himself lives in the mighty metropolis of Quebec, part of the lost continent of Mu ('cause it sure doesn't resemble anything we find here) and only kept from sinking through his AWESOME GREATNESS!!!

Spudzill 09-21-2006 11:43 AM

And our donations...

Icelander 09-21-2006 11:52 AM

Quote:

And our donations...

You're a tele-evangelist, aren't you?

Spudzill 09-21-2006 11:54 AM

Yes! A teleangelist for Kromm! Does Kromm deserve a Porsche? Yes, he does!

Kromm 09-21-2006 12:38 PM

Damn, these are some k3wl p0w3rz. How do I turn them on? Why is the clock still blinking?

Spudzill 09-21-2006 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kromm
Damn, these are some k3wl p0w3rz. How do I turn them on? Why is the clock still blinking?

Because thou hast willed it so, editorial one.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 12:46 PM

Dost thou seest mine Brethren? All Clocks must blink twelve in His name! We must declare a jihad, a Crusade against clocks that do not blink Twelve! So that he may unleash His Mighty Powers!!!

El Guapo 09-21-2006 12:52 PM

Hey, maybe we should stat Dr. Kromm. Would 500 points be enough? Probably not. That would barely cover his IQ.

-El

Spudzill 09-21-2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Guapo
Hey, maybe we should stat Dr. Kromm. Would 500 points be enough? Probably not. That would barely cover his IQ.

-El

If I recall my GURPS Religion(Forgive me Kromm my imperfect memory) You can't stat the Gods. OTH that was 3e.

Spudzill 09-21-2006 12:57 PM

Blinking Clocks For Kromm!!!!!

Qoltar 09-21-2006 01:31 PM

A version of "Kromm" has already been given GURPS Character stats.

Please take a look at THIS thread :
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...t=Dieter+Kromm

- Ed Charlton

Spudzill 09-21-2006 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qoltar
A version of "Kromm" has already been given GURPS Character stats.

Please take a look at THIS thread :
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...t=Dieter+Kromm

- Ed Charlton

Not Godly enough. That is the version Before the Ascenscion.

Icelander 09-21-2006 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Guapo

-El

I like that idea.

People could post gritty versions, mildly-cinematic ones, cinematic versions and over-the-top silly versions.

Stat away, all ye faithful!

Icelander 09-21-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kromm

The world, as we perceive it, exists only as phenomena. The existence of noumena is purely speculation.

Therefore, the existence of the world can be said to be a matter of belief. This world that we live in therefore represents only one of a potentially* infinite number of worlds.

Nothing we can prove in absolute terms exists to indicate that this world is superior or more real to the large number of alternate world represented by the imaginations of people.

Therefore, if people believe you capable of these feats, those powers will work. Perhaps only in their worlds, but then, what's to say that those worlds are less real and important than this one?

*Practically the number is probably something close to Y(6.000.000.000) with Y being the number of worlds that one person can imagine in a lifetime.

Luther 09-21-2006 08:03 PM

I heard Kromm has counted to infinity. Twice.

He definitely is Chuck Norris

dravenloft 09-21-2006 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luther
I heard Kromm has counted to infinity. Twice.

He definitely is Chuck Norris

He's counted past that at least one of those has he not?

No, no, no, no... Bruce Lee.

Christopher R. Rice 09-21-2006 09:50 PM

When Bruce Bannergets angry he becomes the Hulk...when the Hulk gets angry he turns into Kromm...

Ghostdancer