Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   The Fantasy Trip: House Rules (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Single Weapon Talents (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=160159)

hcobb 10-12-2018 02:20 PM

Single Weapon Talents

A character may choose to specialize in just one type of weapon that covers three or more distinct types.

The character pays one skill slot less than the skill normally costs (but never less than one skill slot). The character uses the specialized weapon at -1 DX and the rest of the weapons in the skill at -3 DX.

For example a hero could choose to study just the Mace instead of the entire Ax/Mace group.

platimus 10-12-2018 02:30 PM

Re: Single Weapon Talents

Yeah, I've always thought that Ax/Mace should be split-up. There should be an Ax talent and a Mace talent. Ax cost 2 slots. Mace costs 1 slot. Mace Expert 2 slots. Mace Master 2 slots. Ax Expert 3 slots. Ax Master 3 slots.

platimus 10-12-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warhorse11h (Post 2215828)
If I might, I would like to share my version of this, a little something I worked up somewhere between 1986 and 1988.

I developed three talents to improve combat capability.

IQ 8 Weapon Familiarization (1) Selected on one specific weapon, usually the one the fighter used most. Provides a +1 DX with that weapon.

IQ 9 Weapon Specialization (1) Can be taken on any weapon the fighter has taken Familiarization with. Provides a +1 Damage with that weapon.

IQ 10 Weapon Proficiency (1) Can be taken on any weapon that the fighter has taken both Familiarization and Specialization for. Originally, I designed this to allow a second attack in a turn with that weapon. (I've now changed it to be a further +1 DX and +1 Damage.

A fighter who took all three would have a +2 DX and +2 Damage with that weapon. So, a broadsword 2D6 Damage would instead do 2D6+2.

So far, I think I'll keep these, I don't know if they should stack with Expertise or Mastery or not. I am going to give that a shot, if I can keep a fighter alive long enough to see how it works out.

I like those. Would seem OK to stack with Expertise and Mastery as long as you paid for them all.

TippetsTX 10-13-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warhorse11h (Post 2215828)
I developed three talents to improve combat capability.

IQ 8 Weapon Familiarization (1) Selected on one specific weapon, usually the one the fighter used most. Provides a +1 DX with that weapon.

IQ 9 Weapon Specialization (1) Can be taken on any weapon the fighter has taken Familiarization with. Provides a +1 Damage with that weapon.

IQ 10 Weapon Proficiency (1) Can be taken on any weapon that the fighter has taken both Familiarization and Specialization for. Originally, I designed this to allow a second attack in a turn with that weapon. (I've now changed it to be a further +1 DX and +1 Damage.

A fighter who took all three would have a +2 DX and +2 Damage with that weapon. So, a broadsword 2D6 Damage would instead do 2D6+2.

I think I may like these better than Weapon Expertise, actually. Much simpler.