Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Twenty Years of GURPS Bundle (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=157425)

Kromm 05-16-2018 09:39 AM

Twenty Years of GURPS Bundle

The texts spanned ages
Some light, but mostly weighty
There for the taking
A fedora-wearing archaeologist
I started my job as the GURPS Line Editor in July 1995. My first few years were pretty low-key; I was just one editor among many. I remember 1998 fondly because it was the year when I got to unleash my creative side, writing GURPS Wizards and GURPS Undead. But the most important of my creations that year was the original GURPS Lite: a free game that spread word of GURPS Third Edition far and wide, and went on to become the "engine" of several Powered by GURPS products.

It's fitting, then, that the Twenty Years of GURPS Bundle celebrates the 20th anniversary of Lite. In many ways, 1998 ushered in a new era for GURPS, one in which its basics became available to all at no cost, and in which it gained new creative direction. (That isn't ego talking . . . up until 1995, nobody was devoted exclusively to GURPS, and until 1998, staff writing for GURPS was a rare exception.)

So pick up this $207.79 bundle for just $50 and flesh out your collection. In includes something from every year from 1998 to 2018 a grand total of 22 items. Unless you have about 3/4 of this stuff already, you really can't go wrong!

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG4918

Blind Mapmaker 05-16-2018 10:07 AM

Re: Twenty Years of GURPS Bundle

I really shouldn't complain that this does little for us completionists. I'm just missing a Pyramid and Lands out of Time.

But for all those out there who are just starting GURPS this is an amazing deal. The only item that is only borderline-useful for 4th Edition players is the Compendium, but you get some amazing stuff most of which even fits together well with another one or two books in the bundle.

A really great way to jump-start your GURPS collection

apoc527 05-16-2018 10:25 AM

Dang, I literally do own 75% of that stuff! Still, great deal for those who haven't already bought most of it!

Refplace 05-16-2018 10:27 AM

Just forwarded on Twitter and Facebook.
Congrats all!

johndallman 05-16-2018 10:50 AM

Sadly, I have all of it, except for Cyberpunk Adventures, which I've avoided buying in the hope I might get to play them.

Jefepato 05-16-2018 12:07 PM

I own...just few enough of these that the package is worth it (assuming that I would like to own them all). I guess I'll go for it.

I hadn't actually realized there was a Dungeon Fantasy Pyramid compilation available at all. That's very helpful.

MIB.6361 05-16-2018 02:13 PM

This is awesome. I have all of it already (in hard copy and/or PDF).

And thank you, Dr Kromm, for everything you've done for GURPS in two decades.

evileeyore 05-16-2018 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker (Post 2176583)
But for all those out there who are just starting GURPS this is an amazing deal.

I was going to quibble over this... but then upon second look at the list, there really is only one book not of use to a newby 4th ed GM, so.. yeah. Great deal all around for newbs.

The DF stuff alone hits $30, toss in the Pyramids and Power-Ups 6 and it's a bargain.

Tom H. 05-17-2018 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kromm (Post 2176578)
But the most important of my creations that year was the original GURPS Lite: a free game that spread word of GURPS Third Edition far and wide, and went on to become the "engine" of several Powered by GURPS products.

Yes, GURPS Lite 3rd Ed. hooked me right before 4e came out. It (and 4e Lite) are beautiful products: concise, well-written, well laid out, and inspiring.

It got me back into RPGs after decades away. I picked it up at a convention.

The only treachery ;-) was my confusion about firearm rate of fire. The unbeknownst-to-me recoil rules were omitted. Do I make one attack with a ROF 3 pistol or three attacks? I had to buy the Basic Set to satisfy my curiosity. And now here I am all this time later with a book shelf full of GURPS material. Talk about marketing! ;-)

Derrick_rp 05-17-2018 11:44 AM

The link is dead.