Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Roleplaying in General (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Real-Life Weirdness (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=38975)

vicky_molokh 11-05-2013 11:32 AM

Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Soviet LASER pistol for cosmonauts. It exists. (Although the English page has very little info. The Russian one has more.)

sir_pudding 11-05-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyndaran (Post 1672802)
At least thinking one of those is a sea serpent doesn't require as horrible of vision as thinking a manatee looks like a fish tailed woman.

I'm not sure that what sailors try to get lubbers to believe is the result of bad eyesight.

Ze'Manel Cunha 11-05-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_pudding (Post 1673844)
I'm not sure that what sailors try to get lubbers to believe is the result of bad eyesight.

Shhh, there were sea serpents and mermaids out there, pass the grog.

Flyndaran 11-05-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_pudding (Post 1673844)

Of course they would be just as likely to "see" mythical creatures as land dwellers. It's the idea that manatees were what they actually saw I find so silly.
At least an oarfish really looks kind of like a sea serpent.

sir_pudding 11-06-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyndaran (Post 1674051)
Of course they would be just as likely to "see" mythical creatures as land dwellers. It's the idea that manatees were what they actually saw I find so silly.

Nursing Manatees have the nipple on the dorsal-front surface of the front flipper, basically in the center of the "chest". It roughly corresponds to the position of a woman's breasts. If you are a sailor and you are trying to hassle the new lubbers, you can point overboard at the "mermaid's boobies" and then laugh uproariously when the lubbers actually look.

Flyndaran 11-06-2013 02:51 PM

Or the herpes ridden rabbit and yell, "Jackelope"?
Or my back shirtless post diary products, and yell, "Skunk-ape"?

sir_pudding 11-06-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyndaran (Post 1674411)
Or the herpes ridden rabbit and yell, "Jackelope"?

Shope papillomavirus isn't the same thing as Human papillomavirus. They are related but significantly different. That's why we gave them different names.

Flyndaran 11-06-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_pudding (Post 1674414)
Shope papillomavirus isn't the same thing as Herpes papillomavirus. They are related but significantly different. That's why we gave them different names.

D'oh. I got those mixed up with HPV that causes similar growths in the rare unfortunate human. They both start with the letter H? I'll see myself out.

sir_pudding 11-06-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyndaran (Post 1674419)
D'oh. I got those mixed up with HPV that causes similar growths in the rare unfortunate human. They both start with the letter H? I'll see myself out.

Shope startes with "S".

Flyndaran 11-06-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_pudding (Post 1674420)
Shope startes with "S".

Herpes and Human.