Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Does DFRPG more and more resemble a super hero game to you (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=159783)

Bruno 09-28-2018 08:07 AM

Re: Does DFRPG more and more resemble a super hero game to you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasputin (Post 2211849)
Indeed, there has been the assertion that D&D itself is post-apocalyptic. An apocalypse is a major plot point in the Dragonlance campaign setting.

4th edition D&D's "default" Points of Light setting (and recommendation to GMs when designing their own setting) is after the end of the Golden Age, when everything is plunged into chaos, and fell monsters roam the land. Civilization clings to existence in small patches and pockets (points of light in the darkness) constantly under threat from monsters.

This of course explains all the ruined buildings filled with monsters hovering over treasures that you can't buy off-the-shelf, and why everyone's sheep are always being eaten by ogres or whatnot. Civilization doesn't have the resources to fix this at a governmental level and relies of random citizens, because Civilization is barely clinging to existence or is struggling to rebuild itself.

Its a good idea that nicely explains a lot of fantasy gaming tropes.

Tom H. 09-29-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsconley (Post 2211559)
There were only three classes to start with Cleric, Fighter, and Magic User. The thief got added in the Greyhawk supplement. The elements of what most people consider to be classic old school D&D stems from OD&D (1974 release) plus Supplement I Greyhawk.

I enjoy catching your occasional perspectives on the early days of D&D.

As I've recently indicated, my adventures with '80s D&D were prematurely interrupted, so its great to "reminisce" about the stuff I missed.

robertsconley 10-01-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom H. (Post 2212591)
I enjoy catching your occasional perspectives on the early days of D&D.

As I've recently indicated, my adventures with '80s D&D were prematurely interrupted, so its great to "reminisce" about the stuff I missed.

Thanks glad you enjoyed my posts.

I bring this stuff up to remind people that dungeons != hack and slash 24/7. There was a lot of ways to slice dungeon adventures then and now. By far the most common approach was (and still is) are hybrids, a little hack-n-slash, a little of intrigue, a little of exploration, a little of well... a lot of other stuff depending on the interests of the group.

And the only thing that needs to be added to DF to handle this properly are lower power templates (as an option), and a variety of adventures and setting. The rest works as-is. Of the two a variety of adventures and settings is the crucial element.

robertsconley 10-01-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno (Post 2212059)
4th edition D&D's "default" Points of Light setting (and recommendation to GMs when designing their own setting) is after the end of the Golden Age, when everything is plunged into chaos, and fell monsters roam the land. Civilization clings to existence in small patches and pockets (points of light in the darkness) constantly under threat from monsters.

It stems from a trope in mythology that the present is a fallen age and in the past mankind lived in a golden age in harmony with themselves and nature.

In D&D and related RPGs the above went hand in hand with the idea of a isolated settlement in a monsters filled wilderness aided by our doughty band of adventurers. B2 - Keep on the Borderlands epitomized this for early D&D. B1 - In Search of the Unknown, which was released earlier, featured the exploration of an abandoned and ruined underground complex built by Roghan (a fighter) and Zelligar ( a magic user). Which is a miniature post-apocalyptic setting.

Tom H. 10-01-2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsconley (Post 2212949)
B2 - Keep on the Borderlands epitomized this for early D&D.

Fortunately for me, I did get to play that one before my 20 year RPG hiatus. :-)

Tom H. 10-01-2018 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsconley (Post 2212947)
I bring this stuff up to remind people that dungeons != hack and slash 24/7. There was a lot of ways to slice dungeon adventures then and now. By far the most common approach was (and still is) are hybrids, a little hack-n-slash, a little of intrigue, a little of exploration, a little of well... a lot of other stuff depending on the interests of the group.

This is important to note.

I recall the debates here regarding whether Dungeon Fantasy could be taken seriously, and this extended to impugning the seriousness of classic D&D.

I've had a chance to go back and read some of Gary Gygax's commentary and coaching in his adventures and writing.

And while we can agree that the themes could definitely be fanciful, Gary strongly advocated for playing in a mature* way. This contrasts with fully self-indulgent hack-and-slash.

* Regarding mature play.
For example:
  • Working as a team
  • Diligently preparing your supplies prior to the excursion
  • Limiting PC and NPC meta knowledge
  • Considering some plausibility to dungeon design
  • Applying unavoidable consequences
  • Adhering to believable character interactions

evileeyore 10-02-2018 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom H. (Post 2213151)
Fortunately for me, I did get to play that one before my 20 year RPG hiatus. :-)

I got lucky, I cut my teeth on the B series back in the mid 80's. Would have been '86, summer between 6th and 7th grade.

Good times, good times.