Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Play By Post (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=172443)

ajardoor 03-06-2021 01:09 AM

[DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
This is the OOC for my DFRPG campaign. The PCs have arrived at Starhold Keep, a military outpost at the edge of the wilderness known as Hell's Throat.

Players, if you're in this campaign, post here ASAP before you post IC. Introduce your character, introduce yourself, ask questions. I will probably roll dice for you all, but you should note the numbers in your posts.

Hide 03-06-2021 02:44 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Hey there, nice to meet you,
I will be playing as Bain of Avalon.

Bain is a soldier, Avalon his homeland; he works in reconnaissance and exploration. His current mission brought him to Starhold Keep. DFPRG wise, he is a “scout”.

Bain is a human man in his twenties, with an elvish build (Tolkien’s elves, by the way). He has black eyes, and black hair in an undercut style, with threads of silvery hair. He is relatively tall (6'2") and ripped (weighting about 155 lbs.). He is quite reserved and observant, the kind of guy that listens to you and speaks through action. On the other side, Bain has no qualms in talking to people, when he has to.

His partnership with you is circumstantial, working together increases both sides chances of success; you asked him to help you, and he considered that teaming up was worth the shot.

vicious Violence 03-07-2021 07:46 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Hello everyone, my character is named Vic the Digger.
He’s a dishonored knight, betrayed by his sister-in-law, disowned by his father and family. He is no stranger to violence and danger; you could say he is drawn to it. He is no stranger to pain either. Works well in a team and can be resourceful. Vic is joining the party to answer the call of violence and to try to silence the monsters. He is aware that strength in numbers is good, and is looking for the correct party.

jmurrell 03-08-2021 12:54 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Hello fellow travellers, looks like an all military group so far.

I'll be playing Gottfried, a veteran soldier. Modelled after an early Byzantine skutatoi, he's a heavy infantryman with decent armor and a large shield.

At 5'7" he's not particularly tall, but he's a solid and muscular 180 lbs. His skin is deeply tanned and weather-beaten from a life in the field. His face is unremarkable but shows his every emotion. He's a bit sarcastic and he'll tell you exactly what he thinks without subtilty oy sugar-coating.

Hide 03-08-2021 01:58 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Great, seems our group is gonna play face (hahahah).

How did Gottfried join the party?

If the three of us were sent with a similar purpose, maybe we were a party before joining the others.

ajardoor 03-08-2021 11:30 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
I think we have one more player applying.
But for the sake of the campaign, feel free to make your first IC post - what does your character do in town?

Hide 03-09-2021 12:22 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Alright, how are we going to roll the dice?
Dicelog is a nice tool, you can create a virtual room for the party and keep a private log for the campaign:

https://dicelog.com/

PumpkinLorica 03-09-2021 10:42 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Hi!! Everybody, I will be playing as Gathika.

Gathika is a bloodthirsty cat girl, seeking vengeance for her hometown’s destruction.

She resembles the puss in boots; Gathika is short (5’1”) and has blonde hair and green eyes. She always keeps her sword close, since it is the only memory left of her family.

She is a healer, it is rumored she received her powers from the Elder Things.

You may think she looks distracted and might find her speaking alone at times, but she is talking to beings from other dimensions. Gathika loves the dark and the uncanny, it is what had her invested in hidden lore.

She also loves shopping.

ajardoor 03-10-2021 01:10 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Bain approached the boulder and checked its size; using his information and his knowledge in archery (as a proxy for ballistics), he tried to determine from what direction came the boulder. And so, Bain asked himself: How big is it? Does it look like it has been “processed” for its use as a projectile? What lies over there? Could it be Hell’s throat?
The boulder is about the size of 2 fat men curled up together and weighs the same as 10 men. He can't determine what exact direction the boulder came from, he can pick down that it came from the west. The boulder was not carved into its size - it is natural. Hell's Throat is north-east (mostly north) of the Keep.

Quote:

Bain decides it is time to start moving; he walks to Starhold Keep’s base, with the intention of introducing himself to the soldier’s chief and discuss his mission.
The Keep is governed by a commander, and I doubt he would allow you an audience. At best, you may talk to a sergeant who governs a squad.

Remember, the section on town has rules about gathering information, looking for work, and so on.

ericthered 03-10-2021 01:00 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
I will playing as Telrith Stone-Friend.


Telrith is a student of the element of earth, and one day hopes to be its master. He's only a little tall and fairly thin, especially compared to the tower-shield he (or his minions) carry around. He regularly conjures up earth elementals and aspires to build an army out of them. He has come here primarily to test and train his conjured creatures in battle.



He can be a bit funny about his chosen element, naming every elemental he creates, speaking to geological features as though they had feelings, and occasionally picking up rocks off the ground to collect.



I don't think we have any particular reason to be a group... anybody have leadership on their sheet?


EDIT: post references:

stats for allies

Hide 03-10-2021 01:15 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Alright, I got the stuff about the boulder.

I guess I understand what you mean about gathering information.

Think of Bain taking a stroll around town, as if it was an amusement park. He's simply asking the locals about the main attractions, the coolest shops and the current affairs; it's almost small talk, combined with his observation. Maybe at this point he learned about the rules you just mentioned?

If the sergeants have the authority to endorse our delving (and Bain's mission), that's good. Otherwise, he is going there to advise he’s in Starhold Keep for official business, and then head for the right place (following the rules).

jmurrell 03-10-2021 01:47 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Gottfried's a veteran non-com with Penetrating Voice and Leadership and Intimidation at 10. I don't see him as a leader outside of combat though. His only social skill is Carousing and his disads include Easy to Read and Truthfuness.

jmurrell 03-10-2021 01:52 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
So are we going to arrive as a group that already know each other? Perhaps we met on the way here when travelling in the same caravan? Or do we (drumroll please) all met at the Broken Hilt tavern?

vicious Violence 03-10-2021 01:58 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Vic sits in the keep, observing and measuring the ne'er do wells, to see if there are any potential threats. He asks the barkeep if the wild animals attack the town constantly.

ericthered 03-10-2021 03:01 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmurrell (Post 2370944)
Gottfried's a veteran non-com with Penetrating Voice and Leadership and Intimidation at 10. I don't see him as a leader outside of combat though. His only social skill is Carousing and his disads include Easy to Read and Truthfuness.


Great! you've got carousing! that means you can start trawling for rumors! (I think we need that in order to get our first dungeon).



Telrith's "town" skills are fast-talk, research, thaumatology, and IQ 13. Plus a few hidden lore specialties that might come in handy. I could see telrith picking up some "commander" type skills once the points are coming in.


The group looks fairly slapped together, travelers of chance. I think the question of "Tavern or Caravan" should probably be a GM choice.

ajardoor 03-10-2021 03:30 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vicious Violence (Post 2370949)
Vic sits in the keep, observing and measuring the ne'er do wells, to see if there are any potential threats. He asks the barkeep if the wild animals attack the town constantly.

I think this post should go in the IC thread...
But, let me inform you that Vic has learned that most of the local crooks hang out in Quarrytown, not within the Keep...hopefully...
As for wild animals? No. The Keep faces more...wiley threats.

And, on a more general note, I've rolled Carousing and Current Affairs skills in secret on behalf of the party - anyone who has those skills used them to learn of dungeons.

What you have learned is this;
Traveling east two days from the Keep and following a stream known as the Goblinwater, adventurers have supposedly come across The Caves of Mercy, a series of monster lairs dug into a mountainside.

jmurrell 03-10-2021 04:42 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Gottfried is terrible with names and so tends to use nicknames.

So what distinctive physical traits of habits do y'all have?

Hide 03-10-2021 05:39 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2370933)
I will playing as Telrith Stone-Friend (...) I don't think we have any particular reason to be a group (...)

Hey there Erick, good to see you!

Bain has experience as a soldier and working in teams, he prefers action rather than words. He often takes the initiative, but often keeps in mind his party’s security and his nation interests. His results commended him for “the job” at Starhold Keep. In Avalon, Bain would be an Alférez (Ensign or Second Lieutenant). He is not carrying his rank to Starhold Keep.

In the future, the plan is to include leadership and diplomacy in Bain’s character sheet, besides improving his current abilities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmurrell (Post 2370946)
So are we going to arrive as a group that already know each other? Perhaps we met on the way here when travelling in the same caravan? Or do we (drumroll please) all met at the Broken Hilt tavern?

As far as I understand, from the GM’s input, we all arrived together.

I imagine we took the same ride to Starhold Keep, and came to some sort of agreement. Bain is at least acquainted with Gathika and Vic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicious Violence (Post 2370949)
Vic sits in the keep, observing and measuring the ne'er do wells, to see if there are any potential threats. He asks the barkeep if the wild animals attack the town constantly.

On DAY 1, while Gathika and Vic “stay” at Broken Hilt, Bain is headed to the barracks to speak with a sergeant in order to introduce himself and set a course of action (depending on the interaction’s results). Then, Bain will get to his friends at Broken Hilt for dinner.

--------------------------------

So, how did you (Gottfried & Telrith) meet with us?

Maybe you visited Broken Hilt at a certain time and recognized the guys that travelled with you to Starhold Keep, and we sat together and started forging a friendship.

I have the impression Gathika, Vic and Telrith are here to kill things. That’s an ice-breaker, IMO. They can have a good conversation.

And perhaps Gottfried and Bain pay a visit to the Barracks, considering they both are soldiers.

What do you think?

Hide 03-10-2021 06:11 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmurrell (Post 2370972)
Gottfried is terrible with names and so tends to use nicknames. So what distinctive physical traits of habits do y'all have?

Bain’s name means white, his hair is turning white (by the way). Perhaps you could call him Alférez (maybe a rank could be easier to remember for a veteran). His motifs are Badb, Macha and Nemain, among others. This is his theme song.

vicious Violence 03-10-2021 09:13 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmurrell (Post 2370972)
Gottfried is terrible with names and so tends to use nicknames.

So what distinctive physical traits of habits do y'all have?

Vic has a very notorious scar covering the right half of his face, and is missing half and eyebrow (resulting from the scarring)

ajardoor 03-11-2021 03:52 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Anyone wanna roll Research to learn more about the Caves of Mercy, tell me what your skill level is, and I'll roll it for you in secret.

ericthered 03-11-2021 04:43 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Telrith has a 12 in research.

ajardoor 03-11-2021 08:08 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2371027)
Telrith has a 12 in research.

Just rolled for you.

Here is what you find out from your research;
Entrances to The Caves of Mercy are in the sides of an arced canyon - and the canyon has multiple rough "levels" of elevation with pathways up. The caves on the higher levels of the canyon are said to be home to much nastier humanoid tribes than the caves at ground level. The tribes of various humanoid warriors do not always get along. The cave systems are said to have secret passages between each other - even up and down the levels.

ajardoor 03-11-2021 08:32 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Once every player has posted in the IC thread, and made their preparations for the dungeon crawl, the campaign can move onto travel.

ericthered 03-11-2021 09:06 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmurrell (Post 2370972)
Gottfried is terrible with names and so tends to use nicknames.

So what distinctive physical traits of habits do y'all have?


Telrith is an earth elementalist, which is probably rare enough be be distinctive. You can call him "stone friend" if you care about his pretensions, "The elementalist" if don't, and "pebbles" if you truly must.


Telrith is also a skinny caster wearing heavier armor and carrying an enormous shield, he is constantly picking up small rocks, and he names all of the earth elementals he periodically creates.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Hide (Post 2370977)
So, how did you (Gottfried & Telrith) meet with us?

Telrith probably just sat in the tavern listening in on conversations, looking for a group about to head out in search of treasure. either that or he already knew one of you.

ericthered 03-12-2021 05:39 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajardoor (Post 2371191)
(OOC: Looking for a hireling requires rolling the Propaganda skill.)

Is that a DFRPG rule, or a house rule? The Henchmen book says propaganda is a complementary skill, not the primary. It lets an IQ roll work, and goes on to suggest skills that could work for specific henchmen: leadership and streetwise are particularly broad, and merchant works for anyone.

If the DFRPG changes hireling rules, Or if you're houseruling here, that's fine, please let me know. Its just that Henchmen page 29 doesn't require propaganda to be used to find henchmen.

ajardoor 03-12-2021 10:46 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Oh, that was probably my mistake. Usually, Propaganda is the advertising skill, but if the books say you can roll something else, that is fine.

What skill will you roll, then?

ericthered 03-12-2021 10:59 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajardoor (Post 2371253)
What skill will you roll, then?


Well, I'm not actually looking (I can't pay), I'm just trying to see what the modifier to the roll would be. It would be an IQ roll.

Hide 03-13-2021 12:37 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Hey Murrell, Erick! Maybe you would like to join us at the table (IC); right now we are discussing the expedition!

ajardoor 03-13-2021 04:31 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Use the DFRPG book stats for the map and the writing kit, remember. Probably won't be different from the GURPS one, but just in case.

jmurrell 03-13-2021 05:13 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
So does anyone have 'camping gear' aka group basics?

Gottfried is armoured and armed with spear and shield, with shortsword and long knife for backup and plumbata for a distance weapon. Tactically he's more focused on defense and holding the front line, rather than dealing lots of damage.

What are the rest of you armed with and what do you see as your combat roll.

As a veteran non-com he has Leadership at 10 and Tactics and Strategy at 9, anyone else have any of these skills?

PumpkinLorica 03-13-2021 06:20 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Gathika has a remarkable skill, she can make food last longer and improve its servings 1x3 (essential food)

Hide 03-13-2021 06:25 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmurrell (Post 2371385)
So does anyone have 'camping gear' aka group basics? (...)

The three of us have basic camping gear (personal basics); Vic is a 2-hand-sword fighter and Gathika is a Cleric (wields a main-gauche). Bain is a soldier; his weapon is the bow.

I think you are the only one with leadership and tactics; but I guess (together) we are good at survival, or as the song says, "staying alive".

jmurrell 03-13-2021 07:06 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
So Gottfried holds them, Vic hits 'em, Gathika feeds and heals us, Bain shoots 'em and Tenrith?

Gottfried has personal basics, a one man tent, and rations for himself for 7 days. We should go in on a set of group basics, at $50 that's $10 each.

Hide 03-13-2021 11:52 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmurrell (Post 2371395)
(...) and Tenrith?

Tenrith has the power to move mountains. At least figuratively, he is an earth elementalist and can bend the earth to create golems; once in a while he can ask the mountain to come to him or to get over you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmurrell (Post 2371395)
Gottfried has personal basics, a one man tent, and rations for himself for 7 days. We should go in on a set of group basics, at $50 that's $10 each.

Sounds good!

ericthered 03-14-2021 06:52 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmurrell (Post 2371395)
So Gottfried holds them, Vic hits 'em, Gathika feeds and heals us, Bain shoots 'em and Tenrith?

Telrith summons disposable minions, walks or digs through walls, builds fortifications in minutes, and occasionally turns people to stone.

Quote:

Gottfried has personal basics, a one man tent, and rations for himself for 7 days. We should go in on a set of group basics, at $50 that's $10 each.
I'm good for donating $10 for group basics.

Hide 03-14-2021 03:15 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2371418)
(...) I'm good for donating $10 for group basics.

The skills sound awesome! Especially the walking trough walls ability. I guess it’s been established we have seen each other on the trip to Starhold Keep. How will you approach the party?

ajardoor 03-15-2021 02:41 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
When you've all updated your gear, tell me and we'll start the trip to the dungeon...

ericthered 03-15-2021 07:38 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Who will be carrying the group basics? I suppose we can each carry 4 lbs of it. Though if I have an elemental that day (and statistically I should) they can help carry. Telrith's ST is merely 10 though, and I'm pretty close to heavy encumbrance.



feeding five of us takes 15 FP. That is very generous of Gathika. Will that work out time wise?

Hide 03-15-2021 11:31 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajardoor (Post 2371518)
When you've all updated your gear, tell me and we'll start the trip to the dungeon...

Thanks, Ajardoor!

Vic (IC) actually asked for your help with a roll of survival. He wants to help the party check what other gear is going to be needed, considering what we have and taking into account our current gear (including money) and the intel we already have (e.g. suggestions such as needing group basics, rations, cart, etc.), to make the right purchases.

Gathika will use her merchant skill to fetch the stuff at a discount.

I believe this is also a good chance for Telrith to approach the table IC; because this way we could also consider his gear in the formula!

Erick, what do you think?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2371537)
Who will be carrying the group basics?

We don't have to carry it all, we could buy or lease a cart and a horse. In the worst scenario we could fetch a wheelbarrow and a bag.

Once you join the party, we could have a golem pull it. And if/when the golem is not available, we can take turns.

ajardoor 03-15-2021 12:20 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hide (Post 2371573)
Thanks, Ajardoor!

Vic (IC) actually asked for your help with a roll of survival. He wants to help the party check what other gear is going to be needed, considering what we have and taking into account our current gear (including money) and the intel we already have (e.g. suggestions such as needing group basics, rations, cart, etc.), to make the right purchases.

I already rolled that in secret, and he got a normal failure. But your team should be okay to travel to the Caves - they don't need climbing gear, for instance, to make it there.

vicious Violence 03-15-2021 12:44 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
I would kindly request luck to reroll that roll please

PumpkinLorica 03-15-2021 05:53 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2371537)
Feeding five of us takes 15 FP. That is very generous of Gathika. Will that work out time wise?

Gathika can make half the amount of food we need once per day. We will spend half the money in food. And that is not all, if we hunt a big creature, Gathika can purify it and I will save FP but also we will save money.

ajardoor 03-15-2021 06:01 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vicious Violence (Post 2371580)
I would kindly request luck to reroll that roll please

Alright. The lowest level of Luck will take an in-game day to recharge (you can use it again on Day 2).

You succeeded on the reroll.

Crossing the terrain here is safest when you stick to the roads, but the Caves are off the beaten path...the second day of travel will have a worse chance of wandering monsters.
Still not that bad, since the Caves are located near the base of a mountain. Interestingly enough, a river flows from out of The Caves. It is named "The Goblinwater", and it eventually joins the Tanara, like so many other rivers of the region do.

ajardoor 03-17-2021 09:58 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Terith rolled a 5, another 5, and the rest of the summoning rolls were all 15.

Now, what traveling rolls for the 2 day journey to The Caves is the party going to attempt? Any attempts to forage?

ericthered 03-18-2021 07:30 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajardoor (Post 2371900)
Terith rolled a 5, another 5, and the rest of the summoning rolls were all 15.

May I emphasize these are Conjuring rolls, not Summoning. Its new elementals every time. That's why Minion +50% is on them, because Telrith is binding them to him to get them to obey.

ajardoor 03-18-2021 05:56 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2371921)
May I emphasize these are Conjuring rolls, not Summoning. Its new elementals every time. That's why Minion +50% is on them, because Telrith is binding them to him to get them to obey.

Alright, but that does not change the results of the rolls, right? Like, you have to roll under the "frequency of appearance" number to Conjure them, yes? If they get killed, you have to wait a day before Conjuring a replacement (and I think the failed rolls can't be re-attempted until tomorrow, IIRC).

Anyway, you do create two servants fine. They're worth 50% of your point total.

Hide 03-18-2021 07:21 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Hello Ajardoor! I have this questions/requests:
  • This is day 2, right?
  • At this time Bain’s cloak should be ready for delving into The Caves/Mountains. Can you make a camouflage roll to confirm my additional bonus? The margin of success grants up to +3 (that's presented in GURPS Low-Tech p.126).
  • I suppose it would be appropriate to call navigation roll to take the quickest and kindest path to The Caves. Can you make the Navigation roll? Please remember we have a map, for a +1 to my current skill.
  • I also want to declare that Bain will be holding the bow in his hand from now on, I am making use of his akimbo perk to prevent being surprised without his weapon ready.
Awaiting your response!

ajardoor 03-18-2021 10:14 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hide (Post 2372013)
Hello Ajardoor! I have this questions/requests:
  • This is day 2, right?
  • At this time Bain’s cloak should be ready for delving into The Caves/Mountains. Can you make a camouflage roll to confirm my additional bonus? The margin of success grants up to +3 (that's presented in GURPS Low-Tech p.126).
  • I suppose it would be appropriate to call navigation roll to take the quickest and kindest path to The Caves. Can you make the Navigation roll? Please remember we have a map, for a +1 to my current skill.
  • I also want to declare that Bain will be holding the bow in his hand from now on, I am making use of his akimbo perk to prevent being surprised without his weapon ready.
Awaiting your response!

Sure, this is the start of Day 2...although I was waiting on you guys to confirm it.
You're using the cloak during Day 2? Ok. See my next post...
Rolling Navigation+1, see my next post...
Ok, is your bow going to have an arrow nocked and ready?

ajardoor 03-18-2021 10:16 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Your Camouflage roll is 13.
Your Navigation+1 roll is 11. I believe that is a success for -10% travel time.

Not bad for a veteran scout.

Anyone else rolling?

Hide 03-18-2021 10:24 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajardoor (Post 2372031)
Your Camouflage roll is 13.
Your Navigation+1 roll is 11. I believe that is a success for -10% travel time.

Not bad for a veteran scout.

Anyone else rolling?

Yes, let's give camouflage a second chance with Luck.

Thanks man!

ericthered 03-19-2021 08:22 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajardoor (Post 2372006)
Alright, but that does not change the results of the rolls, right? Like, you have to roll under the "frequency of appearance" number to Conjure them, yes? If they get killed, you have to wait a day before Conjuring a replacement (and I think the failed rolls can't be re-attempted until tomorrow, IIRC).

Anyway, you do create two servants fine. They're worth 50% of your point total.


Awesome, that's just what I expected!

ajardoor 03-19-2021 09:12 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hide (Post 2372033)
Yes, let's give camouflage a second chance with Luck.

Thanks man!

Rerolled - 16 and 8.
No more Luck until tomorrow.

ajardoor 03-20-2021 06:49 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Every player should check in and tell me what, if anything, they want rolled before we check for wandering monsters on the road...

Hide 03-21-2021 01:49 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajardoor (Post 2372194)
Every player should check in and tell me what, if anything, they want rolled before we check for wandering monsters on the road...

Hello Ajardoor,

I would like to call the following rolls once we hit the road:

Camouflage (at +3, given my additional bonus).

I would like Bain to walk taking advantage of the background, to avoid detection from monsters in the road. Also, I want Bain to keep close to potential cover, to have protection in the occasion we face combat. I picture Bain walking ahead of the group, probably close to the borders of the road. I

He won’t be using stealth or staying away from the party.

Observation.

Preferably when we take breaks. I want Bain keeping an eye for threads (e.g. creatures shadowing us), but also interesting things such as small game (e.g. pheasants). He could take extra time (for a bonus) if the breaks allow it.

Also, I would like to call this roll when we reach milestones or natural passages (mountains, woods, land depressions, etc.), to avoid ambushes.

Tracking/Soldier skills

This is indented to find what has been going on in the road, detect other caravans, creatures, etc. ahead of us. Or to check if there’s been any recent activity.

If you have any comments, let me know.

Thank you!

ajardoor 03-21-2021 10:41 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Alright, those rolls will be done when it is appropriate.

And for future posts, try to note the level of skill or attribute (i.e. "My Diplomacy skill is 13! It'll get a +2 from my magic mask!"), just for ease of reference.

PumpkinLorica 03-21-2021 10:41 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
I want to roll for “essential food” and “recover energy”. I will rest in the cart for about an hour to recover the FP spent in essential food.

ericthered 03-22-2021 07:48 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PumpkinLorica (Post 2372493)
Gathika pays attention to Telrith's comment, she finds amusing how he conjured the earth elementals and looks at them in amazement. This also encourages Gathika to -bless the food-. She enters a trance for a moment... “Comrades, the spirits are telling me that I must recharge, I will sleep in the cart.”

She makes kitten eyes.


Please tell me she weighs less than 96 lbs. Though I don't think the base speed of Mulch actually matters.


I don't think Telrith has any rolls to make during travel. He'll keep his eyes peeled, of course, and he's pretty observant (perception-13), but don't we get those rolls anyways?

ajardoor 03-22-2021 11:54 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PumpkinLorica (Post 2372495)
I want to roll for “essential food” and “recover energy”. I will rest in the cart for about an hour to recover the FP spent in essential food.

I do not think you rolled Recover Energy, the base skill level determines how well it works.

As for Essential Food, you rolled a 13. If that is a failure, you lose 1 FP and may try again. If it is a success, you spend the usual cost for the spell and it works.

PumpkinLorica 03-22-2021 01:02 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajardoor (Post 2372558)
I do not think you rolled Recover Energy, the base skill level determines how well it works. As for Essential Food, you rolled a 13. If that is a failure, you lose 1 FP and may try again. If it is a success, you spend the usual cost for the spell and it works.

Thanks, Gathika was successful with SL 14 in essential food.
Recover energy is also SL 14, it returns 6 FP in an hour, to recover her energy spent in the spell.

Please let me know the result of recover energy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2372529)
Please tell me she weighs less than 96 lbs...

Gathika is 159 lbs. including the equipment, in the cart she is 31.8.

If nobody put other items in the cart, the final load is 46.1 (light encumbrance) for one hour.
Gathika will walk after she recovers.

ajardoor 03-22-2021 05:08 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PumpkinLorica (Post 2372566)
Please let me know the result of recover energy.

To quote DF: Spells;

Lets you (and only you!) quickly recover FP. At skill 15 or higher, you regain 1 FP every 5 minutes instead of every 10 minutes; at skill 20 or higher, you get 1 FP every 2 minutes.
You must rest quietly to benefit. While resting, you can maintain most spells but not those that require concentration. If you have an Energy Reserve of the same realm as this spell, it recovers at the same rate. Energy Reserves regenerate even without rest!
No ritual or dice roll is required for Recover Energy. It does nothing in areas with low or no sanctity (clerical) or mana (wizardly), but is especially effective in high sanctity or mana. See Sanctity (p. 5) and Mana (pp. 7-8).

PumpkinLorica 03-22-2021 06:22 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Thank you, I understand, I don't need to roll at SL 14!

ajardoor 03-24-2021 12:25 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
The Natural Philosophy roll failed with a roll of 12.

The other rolls for Bain won't need to be rolled yet.

ajardoor 03-25-2021 03:01 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
If you are going to start combat, post your Basic Speed in the OOC thread for reference. Along with your Manoeuvre and relevant effective level/s.

Hide 03-25-2021 08:03 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Bain’s basic speed is 5.5.

Since we have the initiative, Bain will put his boots in his bag and do stealth (14+1) and camouflage (16). Camouflage calls for a contest of perception to attempt an attack against Bain.

He will get close to the creatures, about 5 yards away, and do ranged combat.

Preferably, he will take a higher spot to cash a bonus from firing downward (B407): He wants to place himself at 4 yards of height and 1 yard of length, to reduce the range penalty from -2 (5 yards) to -1 (4/2 +1 = 3 yards).

This also gives the creatures targeting Bain a -4 to hit, this is shooting upward (4+4+1= 9 yards).

(It is one of the things he was attentive to during the trip).

Bain will take cover to gain an edge in battle. And when moving he will always have his back leaning against the “walls”, and will always keep a piece of cover accordingly to the situation.

With this, creatures aiming at Bain will have another -2 to hit (half exposed parts).

Alternatively, Bain will keep a 5-yard distance if on equal ground, he will cut this distance to 3 yards (under cover) if there are no ranged enemies; if the situation demands facing a melee fighter, he will keep a 5-yard distance. If a target starts abusing a shield, Bain will shoot to over-penetrate it.

If the targets are wearing armor, he will start with bodkin arrows aiming for at least 2 seconds to the vitals of the leader (15+2) in the first shot.

The following attacks will be targeted to the creature’s center of mass, quick-shooting (17-1), using the arrows accordingly to the previous step. He will take the ranged enemies first (mages, then archers) and subsequently the larger (melee) ones then the smaller ones.

If the enemy spotted him, and if the coming attack was going to hit, he would use acrobatic feverish dodge: Acrobatics (12), then feverish dodge (9+2+2).

Luck will be reserved to re-roll critical hits against Bain.

ajardoor 03-25-2021 08:29 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

What kind of creatures are they?
What’s their number?
Is the gear obviously theirs? Does it look like the loot of a raid, does it fit their size?
What are they arguing about?
Bain does not know - maybe they are simply deformed people?
There are ten of them.
Some of it looks small enough to be theirs - but there are a few things like packs that seem unwieldy in size for them...
You do not understand their language.

PumpkinLorica 03-25-2021 11:25 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Gathika will have her sword at hand, ready for combat but not in a threatening way. She will take cover behind the cart.

Her basic speed is 5.

vicious Violence 03-26-2021 09:57 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Vic has a speed of 5, and I too will advance with Telrith and Chalkfist with sword ready to attack.

ericthered 03-26-2021 10:21 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vicious Violence (Post 2373145)
Vic has a speed of 5, and I too will advance with Telrith and Chalkfist with sword ready to attack.

Telrith's speed is 5. He's staying with the Gathika, as is Clodstomper. Chalkfist has been assigned to advance with Vic and Gottfried. ("Digger and Sheild")

ajardoor 03-26-2021 01:48 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hide (Post 2373072)
Bain’s basic speed is 5.5.

Since we have the initiative, Bain will put his boots in his bag and do stealth (14+1) and camouflage (16). Camouflage calls for a contest of perception to attempt an attack against Bain.

He will get close to the creatures, about 5 yards away, and do ranged combat.

Preferably, he will take a higher spot to cash a bonus from firing downward (B407): He wants to place himself at 4 yards of height and 1 yard of length, to reduce the range penalty from -2 (5 yards) to -1 (4/2 +1 = 3 yards).

This also gives the creatures targeting Bain a -4 to hit, this is shooting upward (4+4+1= 9 yards).

(It is one of the things he was attentive to during the trip).

Bain will take cover to gain an edge in battle. And when moving he will always have his back leaning against the “walls”, and will always keep a piece of cover accordingly to the situation.

With this, creatures aiming at Bain will have another -2 to hit (half exposed parts).

Alternatively, Bain will keep a 5-yard distance if on equal ground, he will cut this distance to 3 yards (under cover) if there are no ranged enemies; if the situation demands facing a melee fighter, he will keep a 5-yard distance. If a target starts abusing a shield, Bain will shoot to over-penetrate it.

If the targets are wearing armor, he will start with bodkin arrows aiming for at least 2 seconds to the vitals of the leader (15+2) in the first shot.

The following attacks will be targeted to the creature’s center of mass, quick-shooting (17-1), using the arrows accordingly to the previous step. He will take the ranged enemies first (mages, then archers) and subsequently the larger (melee) ones then the smaller ones.

If the enemy spotted him, and if the coming attack was going to hit, he would use acrobatic feverish dodge: Acrobatics (12), then feverish dodge (9+2+2).

Luck will be reserved to re-roll critical hits against Bain.

Alright, rolling...
Bain rolled 8, the tribals rolled 8, too. Bain is successful at Stealth.
He climbed a tree that is 5 yards away from the tribals.
The tribals are not armoured. Bain does not use bokin arrows. There are no mages, so Bain shoots a tribal with a ready blowpipe. He rolls a 10! With no Active Defense for a stealth attack, he hits! Roll damage, Bain!

All the tribals have Basic Speed 6.00, and must roll Cowardice to resist fleeing the fight right away. Rolled a 11, they resist!

Every PC gets one free turn of action before combat properly starts!

Hide 03-26-2021 02:43 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajardoor (Post 2373178)
(...) He rolls a 10! With no Active Defense for a stealth attack, he hits! Roll damage, Bain! (...)

Great!

Bain rolls 2d+4:

I get 6 and 5,
+4 it is a 15.
Total damage x3 (vitals) = 45.

ericthered 03-27-2021 07:35 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
GM, how much information about the talking rock do you need from me?

ajardoor 03-27-2021 06:48 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2373276)
GM, how much information about the talking rock do you need from me?

For now?

Basic Speed.
HP.
Combat relevant Advantages (DR, Combat Reflexes, High Pain Threshold, etc.) and Disadvantages (Bloodlust, Cowardice, Berserk, etc.).
Attack and Damage rolls.
What it does this turn.
Active Defence/s.
Maybe Basic Move?

Hide 03-27-2021 07:21 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
I am around, waiting for the next round!

ajardoor 03-28-2021 01:40 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hide (Post 2373340)
I am around, waiting for the next round!

I believe Gathika, Gottfried and Telrith still have their turn of action before we start the combat turns proper.

ericthered 03-28-2021 05:11 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajardoor (Post 2373336)
For now?

Basic Speed.
HP.
Combat relevant Advantages (DR, Combat Reflexes, High Pain Threshold, etc.) and Disadvantages (Bloodlust, Cowardice, Berserk, etc.).
Attack and Damage rolls.
What it does this turn.
Active Defence/s.
Maybe Basic Move?

Speed is 4.5. Move is 4.
Immune to metabolic Hazards, Injury Tolerance (Homogeneous)
No disadvantages (beyond DX 8 and IQ 6)
Attack skill is 8. damage is 1d6-2 crushing

Chalkfist has DR7. Clodstomper has DR 3.

Telrith has been encouraging all-out (determined) attacks, their defenses are very high and their attack skill very low. Against these foes, I'm guessing there is danger at all, and it will raise attack skill to 12.

ajardoor 03-28-2021 06:27 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered (Post 2373370)
Speed is 4.5. Move is 4.
Immune to metabolic Hazards, Injury Tolerance (Homogeneous)
No disadvantages (beyond DX 8 and IQ 6)
Attack skill is 8. damage is 1d6-2 crushing

Chalkfist has DR7. Clodstomper has DR 3.

Telrith has been encouraging all-out (determined) attacks, their defenses are very high and their attack skill very low. Against these foes, I'm guessing there is danger at all, and it will raise attack skill to 12.

Alright, Chalkfist is gonna (all-out) attack then.

ajardoor 03-29-2021 05:31 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Gathika, you're behind the cart, are you going to cast a spell, bunker down, move back, or what?

PumpkinLorica 03-29-2021 12:55 PM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Gathika will be advancing behind Chalkfist, she will attack once the enemy numbers diminish (4 or less enemies left).

ajardoor 03-31-2021 01:32 AM

Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC
 
Okay, I'm getting pings from Gottfried's player, so we're retconning him out until he comes back. Everyone, just pretend he was never here.

Now COMBAT TIME HAS STARTED

Turn order;
The 8 remaining enemies 6.00
Bain 5.50
Gathika 5.00
Vic 5.00
Telrith 5.00
Chalkfist and Clodstomper 4.50


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.