Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   GURPS Monster Hunters: what will you do with it? (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=76063)

The Cardinal 01-05-2011 05:10 AM

GURPS Monster Hunters: what will you do with it?

Now that GURPS Monster Hunters has been officially announced (DI):

What are your plans? What campaigns would you like to run? Or play in?
What kind of character templates do you expect?

Ultraviolet 01-05-2011 08:05 AM

Re: GURPS Monster Hunters: what will you do with it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cardinal (Post 1101282)
Now that GURPS Monster Hunters has been officially announced (DI):

What are your plans? What campaigns would you like to run? Or play in?
What kind of character templates do you expect?

I expect at least one template to be suitable for either Victorian style horror or Cliffhangers in the 20s-30s. Preferably both.
A refreshing idea would be a template for an ancient setting, some "swords & sandals" thing like Egypt or Greece. Naturally with customization notes to convert to medieval or so.

I run and play Cliffhangers, and we sometimes run into monsters. Although I'm not sure I'll get that book. It really is just on-and-off with the occult.

Dragondog 01-05-2011 08:26 AM

Since the theme is modern day, that seems less likely.

Ultraviolet 01-05-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragondog (Post 1101326)
Since the theme is modern day, that seems less likely.

Bugger! Thought it was a generic, cross-genre book. Like Loadouts: Monster Hunters.

Dragondog 01-05-2011 08:33 AM

DI says: "Modern-day heroes using axes, silver bullets, flamethrowers, holy water, prayers, spells, and every other weapon in the natural and supernatural arsenal to hunt down Bad Things from A (albino alligators) to Z (zombies) yes, including toothy blood-suckers, both vamps and chupacabras."

PK 01-05-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultraviolet (Post 1101328)
Bugger! Thought it was a generic, cross-genre book.

Quite the opposite. As today's DI says, this is a "grab-n-go" treatment of a specific genre: Modern-day, high-powered monster hunters, with a strong focus on action and being awesome. (It will not just be CombatCombatCombat, though; investigation, tracking, pursuit, etc., are equally important.)

Much like DF and Action, the idea is that all you need is the Basic Set and Monster Hunters, and you've got everything you need to run a game that emulates Buffy (tVS), Supernatural, Blade, Resident Evil, Underworld, Night Watch, Vampire$, Van Helsing, Constantine, The Prophecy . . . the list does go on, but all with a fairly similar theme.

Quote:

Like Loadouts: Monster Hunters.
Do note that L:MH was one of the sources of inspiration for this entire line! In fact, you'll find that they work together fairly well. But where L:MH attempted to cover multiple genres and TL, etc., the MH line will quite happily focus on a single genre and TL. (It will support multiple settings, though; in fact, MH1 and MH2 will both offer detail for several sample campaigns.)

Tyneras 01-05-2011 12:13 PM

Seeing as one side in our gray and black mega-crossover universe has all the basic qualities of a bunch of monsters (cults, magic, insanity aka DF squid morality) it might be fun to run a few one-shots where they wear the "designated enemy" sign.

Looking forward to it!

aesir23 01-05-2011 12:38 PM

I plan on using to run my Delta Green and Stross's Laundry inspired Lovecraftian Horror campaign.

Cernig 01-05-2011 01:26 PM

I'm certain a lot will find its way into my "Beyond the Veil" secret-supernatural setting. I've two PC parties running currently: one's a Black Chamber team based in NYC, the other is a higher-powered bunch of "good" monsters in Seattle. From what I can gleen, MH-1 and 2 will be like the Rev. got forwarded my letter to Santa.

Rocket Man 01-05-2011 01:39 PM

Hmmm ... I may have to swipe some things for an In Nomine crossover. Meet the Soldiers and Saints who kick butt and take names .....