Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
gooliez

Default Polymorph Potion

if you close a fight with a polymorph potion, do you go up a level ?
(there are no other creatures in play)

most cards specifically state that "you do not gain a level" where as this doesnt mention it..
i used it on a lvl 28 odd monster, when i'm on level 9. Does this win me the game ?
gooliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
MunchkinMan
Super Moderator

Default Re: Polymorph Potion

Using such a card does not count as killing a Monster unless it specifically says so. Since the card does not, you did not kill the Monster by using it, so you don't go up a Level.

The rules say, "If your combat strength totals more than the monster’s, you kill it and go up a level[,]" and, "Sometimes a card, or a Class or Race power, will let you get rid of the monster without killing it. This is still “winning,” but you don’t get a level." Regardless of what text you might consider to be missing from Pollymorph Potion, the above quoted rules cover that situation.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Clipper

You only go up levels if you kill a monster. The Pollymorph Potion clearly states that the monster, now a parrot, flies away unharmed. Thus, you are not killing anything and you will not gain a level for using it.

Using Pollymorph Potion also doesn't "close" a combat, even if you use it on the only monster. There is still reasonable time for somebody to use Wandering Monster to add a new monster to the combat.

Finally, there is no way I can think of that would ever give you a monster at Level 28. You probably meant a monster of combat strength 28. Its Level typically remains at the value printed on the card with the combat strength being the total of the monster's Level and any bonuses it may have.

Edit: Oops, got distracted while writing the post and MM beat me to it. Oh well, here's a second opinion, I guess.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
gooliez

thanks guys

sometimes reading through the rules you miss stuff, no matter how many times you read it.. lol

(yes i did mean combat bonus of 28 ;) )
gooliez is offline   Reply With Quote