Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 10-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Toner

Default Is it possible to play a class/race card on another player with their permission?

I was just looking through the rules, and the question came up - it says I can play a race or class card at any time during my turn. I assume that means even during combat, but the rules don't say anything about playing "thingies" on other players.

On my turn, could I offer "Bob" to turn him into a dwarf if he gives me his boots? Of course, if this is allowed, it would only be allowed with the player's permission.
Toner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Is it possible to play a class/race card on another player with their permission?

No, you cannot. Those cards may only be played on yourself.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Pleh

Default Re: Is it possible to play a class/race card on another player with their permission?

Of course, there's nothing preventing you from making a deal to have the same effect. If "Bob" is the lowest level person in the party, you could both agree that on your Charity phase you'll give him a Dwarf card (which then he could legally play on himself immediately since he had just received the card) and in exchange he would give you the boots. The only caution I would take care to emphasize is that such deals are not binding on players and there is a risk of one munchkin or the other not keeping their end of the bargain.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleh View Post
Of course, there's nothing preventing you from making a deal to have the same effect.
But that wasn't the question, so I didn't raise irrelevant side issues because they might confuse a new player.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Pleh

I was aware of that. It helps some players to see a larger picture and some to focus on one thing at a time. It's good for newer players to see how regular players think in their choices and gameplay actions so that they can start picking up on the more subtle nuances of the gameplay, which are in many ways just as important to a player as the set and written rules.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleh View Post
I was aware of that. It helps some players to see a larger picture and some to focus on one thing at a time. It's good for newer players to see how regular players think in their choices and gameplay actions so that they can start picking up on the more subtle nuances of the gameplay, which are in many ways just as important to a player as the set and written rules.
As the moderators, we tend to disagree, and would prefer to decide what's appropriate. We think it's better for newer players to have their questions answered clearly and succinctly, without edge cases, alternative methods, and extraneous information added to muddy the waters. Let the newer players ask the follow-up questions, rather than you imagine what they might be and answer them preemptively.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
Toner

Thanks for all of your input. I like to think I know the rules fairly well, and I had never thought it was allowed to play a thingie on another player. When inspecting the rules, though, I noticed it didn't explicitly say you couldn't, so I had to ask!
Toner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class, munchkin, race