Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
AdmirableAdmiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Default

I was just introduced to the Munchkin game this summer and I got myself Munchkin Impossible and The Good, The Bad, and The Munchkin.

I have a few questions, due to confusion partially caused by the FAQ.

Q. If I'm mixing sets, are Steeds and Vehicles the same thing?
A. For purposes of mixing your Munchkins, yes. Steeds are Vehicles. Vehicles are Steeds. Cards that affect one, affect the other. However, Ships are neither one, even in a blended game.

1. Does Driver's Ed Training provide a +1 to Steeds?

2. Can a Cowboy with a Vehicle Equipped win the game by reaching level 9 (by killing a monster)?

3-5. Can a Vehicle be Smart? Even the Swiss Army Knife? Can Vehicles/ SAK carry the Saddle Bags?

Q. Can I discard my Steed to automatically Run Away like I can with a Hireling?
A. Not unless the card itself says you can.

This seems to contradict the rules, which say "If your Steed gives you a penalty to Run Away, you may discard the Steed before you roll to flee. You don't suffer the penalty, but the Steed card goes to the discard pile."

7. I bolded the word penalty, in this context is it referring to the Bad Stuff, or the minus x to Run Away?

The only Steed in the base TGTB&TM with such a penalty is the Jackass.
Smart says "It is so smart that it won't let you sacrifice it to escape a monster." Implying that it is an option to do so.

8. Is the Jackass the only Steed (I have) that can be sacrificed (or prevented from being sacrificed by being a Smart Ass), or does the FAQ over ride this?

9. If an Item card is normally two handed, but becomes Steam-Powered, does it get the +2 or +3 bonus from having Unlimited Ammo?

10. Can Item modifiers be switched from Item to Item on the owner's turn, outside of combat, or are they locked to the item they are originally placed on? (eg. Incendiary Ammo, Unlimited Ammo, My Grand Pappy's, Steam Powered, Silencer)

11. Does the inclusion of a flame Item in your equipment or the use of a fiery one-shot make your whole combat flame, or just that bonus? This is important for Monsters like Tumbleweed/ Loco Weed (fire attacks do x2) and Killer Jalepeno (immune to fire attacks)

12. The TGTB&TM cards that I have been considering Guns (for Munchkin Impossible compatibility) are: Belt Buckle Gun, Shotgun, Six-Gun, Seven-Gun, Gatling Gun, Derringer, and Blunderbuss. My friend tried to argue that the Civil War Cannon should count as one too. I pointed out the difference between missile weapons and Guns. Can someone here make the official call?

That's all I have for now. Thank you for creating such an addicting, easy to play (and teach) game with such great humour.

I was so disappointed when I saw that Munchkin Impossible expansion April Fools joke!

Oh, I just remembered another one.

13. What is the deal with Undead? Do they do anything other than the Cleric interaction? I've heard they work like the "In Black" cards, where they can freely join eachother, but I can't find any rule on it.

14. Are Traps and Curses always interchangeable, even if a card mentions one by name but not the other (Like Ambush)?

Last edited by AdmirableAdmiral; 09-21-2012 at 05:14 AM.
AdmirableAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
Clipper
 
Clipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Re: Few Munchkin questions

It looks like Andrew might be doing something as he edited your post, but I'll give these a try anyway:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirableAdmiral View Post
1. Does Driver's Ed Training provide a +1 to Steeds?
I can't say for sure not seeing the card, but the Vehicles are Steeds and Steeds are Vehicles description seems that it would make this clear.

Quote:
2. Can a Cowboy with a Vehicle Equipped win the game by reaching level 9 (by killing a monster)?
Seems so.

Quote:
3-5. Can a Vehicle be Smart? Even the Swiss Army Knife? Can Vehicles/ SAK carry the Saddle Bags?
Yes for 3. The other two I'm not sure, but use the Vehicles are Steeds and Steeds are Vehicles rule.

Quote:
7. I bolded the word penalty, in this context is it referring to the Bad Stuff, or the minus x to Run Away?
The minux X to Run Away.

Quote:
8. Is the Jackass the only Steed (I have) that can be sacrificed (or prevented from being sacrificed by being a Smart Ass), or does the FAQ over ride this?
It seems this might have originally been a mistake, or perhaps an oversight as the card seems based on Smart Pills from The Need for Steed. However, we do have that sacrifice on a penalty rule, so it would seem it would block that and MunchkinMan said the same thing here. Note that if there are any Steeds that provide a +1 to Run Away, then this can still be considered a penalty if your character has +2 or more to Run Away without the Steed, so it would stop you discarding that Steed in that situation too.

Quote:
9. If an Item card is normally two handed, but becomes Steam-Powered, does it get the +2 or +3 bonus from having Unlimited Ammo?
Sorry, can't find the effect of that card, so I'll have to leave this one for others to answer.

Quote:
10. Can Item modifiers be switched from Item to Item on the owner's turn, outside of combat, or are they locked to the item they are originally placed on? (eg. Incendiary Ammo, Unlimited Ammo, My Grand Pappy's, Steam Powered, Silencer)
Item Enhancers are locked unless they say otherwise.

Quote:
11. Does the inclusion of a flame Item in your equipment or the use of a fiery one-shot make your whole combat flame, or just that bonus? This is important for Monsters like Tumbleweed/ Loco Weed (fire attacks do x2) and Killer Jalepeno (immune to fire attacks)
No it doesn't. Only the fire based bonus is doubled or zeroed. Note that the whole fire bonus is still fully doubled or zeroed if there are other monsters in the combat, though.

Quote:
12. The TGTB&TM cards that I have been considering Guns (for Munchkin Impossible compatibility) are: Belt Buckle Gun, Shotgun, Six-Gun, Seven-Gun, Gatling Gun, Derringer, and Blunderbuss. My friend tried to argue that the Civil War Cannon should count as one too. I pointed out the difference between missile weapons and Guns. Can someone here make the official call?
The Cheat With Both Hands rules say this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWBH Rules
Any card with Gun in the name, or that obviously indicates a firearm (such as the Big Black .45 from Munchkin Fu), is a Gun.
Cannons are not firearms, so it wouldn't count.

Quote:
13. What is the deal with Undead? Do they do anything other than the Cleric interaction? I've heard they work like the "In Black" cards, where they can freely join eachother, but I can't find any rule on it.
This is a fairly new rule that is being added to new printings of each set. The errata pages for each set with Undead monsters show you the new rule. E.g., the errata page for The Good, the Bad, and the Munchkin say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGtBatM errata
Add a subhead under "Monsters," on p. 5:
Undead Monsters

Several monsters in this set are tagged Undead. You may play any Undead monster from your hand into combat to help any other Undead, without using a Wandering Monster card. If you have a card that can be used to make a monster Undead, you may play it with a non-Undead monster to use this rule.
Quote:
14. Are Traps and Curses always interchangeable, even if a card mentions one by name but not the other (Like Ambush)?
Yes they are. The CWBH rules (one of the best places to get info on Blending, BTW) say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWBH Rules
Curses and Traps are the same kind of card for rule purposes, and any card or ability that affects one will affect the other. Specifically, a Wishing Ring may cancel either a Curse or a Trap, no matter what the specific Wishing Ring card says on it.
__________________
My unofficial, but comprehensive Flowcharts: Munchkin: A4 Letter; Munchkin Quest: A4 Letter
Rules Checklist for all Munchkin sets: A4 Letter.

Last edited by Clipper; 09-21-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
AdmirableAdmiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Default Few Munchkin questions

9. If an Item card is normally two handed, but becomes Steam-Powered, does it get the +2 or +3 bonus from having Unlimited Ammo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Sorry, can't find the effect of that card, so I'll have to leave this one for others to answer.

Steam-Powered provides +2 combat to an item, and makes it take one less hand than normal.
...With Unlimited Ammo provides a +3 for items that require more than one hand (which the item did originally) or +2 otherwise.

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 09-24-2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Removed questions that were moved to another thread
AdmirableAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
MunchkinMan
Super Moderator
 
MunchkinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Macungie, PA
Default Re: Few Munchkin questions

Since Steam Powered removes one Hand requirement, a 2 Hands Item becomes a Hand Item and gets +2 because of Unlimited Ammo.
__________________
Erik D. Zane
Munchkin NetRep -- munchkin@sjgames.com
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
good bad munchkin, impossible

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.