Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-30-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
PseudoFenton

Default Death Checks penalised by injury like unconcious rolls?

Okay, I've reminding myself of this rule time and time again, you just roll straight up HT to avoid death. Unlike rolls to stay concious which take penalties equal to your multiple of HP under 0. Peter just stated again over on his blog post about dying, which reminded me of the fact again. However, I keep forgetting this rule, in the same way I'm always blind-sighted by the ability to force an opponent to reroll their attack against you with Luck. The rules just slip out of my brain and I start to work under wrong assumptions.

So, how much would it be worth, as a disadvantage, if this rule was the case (assuming it was a mandatory or optional personal trait, and not a setting option)? Ie, Death Checks are made with the same penalty as Unconscious checks are.

It'd clearly some sort of variant on Easy to Kill, except that it scales equal to injury, (which also technically allows you to exceed the limits of 'can't go below 3' making it possible to autofail if your HT is low enough and injury is high enough). At first it would do very little, but it would then quickly shift the probabilities against you, guaranteeing a death before -5xHP for many average and low HT characters.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Death Checks penalised by injury like unconcious rolls?

Easy To Kill mitigated by hp levels would probably be the easiest way.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
NineDaysDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Easy To Kill mitigated by hp levels would probably be the easiest way.
Yes. It's clearly worse than Easy To Kill 1 [-2], but better than Easy To Kill 4 [-8], meaning between -3 to -7 points. Give how GURPS is very pentaphilic -5 points should probably be fine.

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 11-30-2013 at 06:19 AM.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
JCurwen3

In 3rd Ed, it was at every 5 HP below -HP. If you scale that by your max HP score (3rd Ed didn't do much in the way of scaling), it'd be every half multiple of your HP.

I assume this was changed for 4th Ed to make the calculations easier, and / or to make combat less lethal. I make the rolls at every half multiple though: at -1xHP, -1.5xHP, -2xHP, -2.5xHP, etc, so double the rolls. I also apply a -1 cumulative penalty for each full multiple of negative HP.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
johndallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
In 3rd Ed, it was at every 5 HP below -HP. If you scale that by your max HP score (3rd Ed didn't do much in the way of scaling), it'd be every half multiple of your HP.
However, 3e had blow-through rules to limit the amount of damage you could take in one hit, which countered this to some degree. The 4e rules have the attraction of simplicity.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
However, 3e had blow-through rules to limit the amount of damage you could take in one hit, which countered this to some degree. The 4e rules have the attraction of simplicity.
You can have your 4e blow-through rules in the new High-Tech. ^_^
Old 11-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
PseudoFenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Yes. It's clearly worse than Easy To Kill 1 [-2], but better than Easy To Kill 4 [-8], meaning between -3 to -7 points. Give how GURPS is very pentaphilic -5 points should probably be fine.
I eye-balled it at a similar cost, which is good. Not for my players who randomly get affected by a 5 point disadvantage with no compensation, but at least I know by how much I'm short changing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
I make the rolls at every half multiple though: at -1xHP, -1.5xHP, -2xHP, -2.5xHP, etc, so double the rolls. I also apply a -1 cumulative penalty for each full multiple of negative HP.
And characters still survive after that? Unless you're playing a supers or high-tech (high armour) game, I can see that ripping through characters very quickly. Especially as you make multiple HT rolls one after the other when you cross multiple thresholds, which limits your ability to use Luck.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
Not for my players who randomly get affected by a 5 point disadvantage with no compensation, but at least I know by how much I'm short changing them.
At some point I realized I can't be held responsible for being the sole remember of the rules. When I play a game, I look up rules as relevant and help the GM. If players can't be bothered to do this when it's in their benefit, then I am not going to feel guilty about it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
And characters still survive after that? Unless you're playing a supers or high-tech (high armour) game, I can see that ripping through characters very quickly. Especially as you make multiple HT rolls one after the other when you cross multiple thresholds, which limits your ability to use Luck.
It makes them a lot more wary to continue on in lethal situations when there's a way out, or when one of their buddies has fallen and looks to be on death's door. But yes, it obviously increases the lethality.