Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
Kalzazz

Default Re: RPM Summon Motorcycle and Park Motorcycle

Bike would roll a HT check maybe?
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Mgellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
How would you go about designing a pair of spells?

Spell 1 takes a motorcycle from your garage and puts it near you

Spell 2 takes a motorcycle near you and puts it in your garage
If you were just using the standard spellcasting system, I'd say a person who knew Telecast and Animate Machine would let you call it from a distance and Animate Machine would let you tell it to go back, although that takes a fair number of prerequisite spells.

As a power, I'd say the builds described are a bit much. I might use Ally, as powerful, Summonable, +100%, Available on 15-, x3 [30].

As a character, a motorcycle would have Machine [25] and something like Enhanced Ground Move 4 [80], and about ST 25-30 [+150 to +200]. But it would also have IQ 0 [-200], Blind [-50], Numb [-20], and Deaf [-20]. So it is probably around the same point cost as a 150-point adventurer.
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
As a power, I'd say the builds described are a bit much. I might use Ally, as powerful, Summonable, +100%, Available on 15-, x3 [30].

As a character, a motorcycle would have Machine [25] and something like Enhanced Ground Move 4 [80], and about ST 25-30 [+150 to +200]. But it would also have IQ 0 [-200], Blind [-50], Numb [-20], and Deaf [-20]. So it is probably around the same point cost as a 150-point adventurer.
He's specifically using the Ritual Path Magic rules from MH, not building a power or advantage. However, creating a ritual to Summon a Motorcycle "Ally" could work, especially when compared to 'porting it from 500 miles away.

For its stats, take a look at the Motorcycle examples in Basic (pg 464). ST 30 is typical, but remember that it'll have No Manipulators [-50], for a -40% discount on ST. Also, don't forget Compartmentalized Mind (Controls) [25], No Legs (Wheeled) [-20] and the Road-Bound limitation on some or all of the Enhanced Move.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:

Greater Create Gateways; nothing specifies that it has to be a 'gate', it may simply be a place where the motocycle is both here and there at the same time.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
PK

Quote:

Disclaimer: Whether I'm speaking as the author or just as a GM, if the GM running the game feels differently about how to build this spell, he's right and I'm wrong.

First off, I would say this is one spell. It's a judgment call, but "transport a bike to and from my garage" sounds like one unified concept to me. All that means is that I wouldn't make someone buy two Ritual Masteries and two grimoires for it.

RPM will clarify how gates work, but the short answer is that you can summon a gate underneath a subject -- but it takes a full second to form, meaning that any mobile subject can simply step away from it. A bike is not mobile, so you can transport it without the Control Matter bit if it's rugged enough to take a little bit of a drop. That'd be:

Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Range*, 10 miles (24) + Subject Weight, 1,000 lbs. (4). 102 energy (34x3).

* Range will vary, of course. Note that if you think of the portal forming in front of you, you could write this as "Range, 1 yard (0) + Speed, 10 miles/second (24)." Not coincidentally, it's the same cost. :)

The bike will take a drop, though, so I'd require it to make a HT roll at a bonus equal to your margin of success with the spell. Failure means damage equal to the margin of failure, with critical failure meaning it broke enough to not run until it gets a minor repair.

If you want a perfectly smooth ride, add Lesser Control Matter (5) to the spell, bringing it to 117 energy, and have the portal open in front of the bike, which it then drives through. (You only need Lesser Control Matter because a bike is already potentially mobile; again, RPM will cover the distinction in detail.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

You could do it with a Lesser Effect where somebody drives you your bike. Ritual Trappings: A cell phone. :)
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #17
Kalzazz

Is there some convenient method to get miles instead of yards for range? (Im sure there must be, but I missed it)

Thanks everyone for help with spell . . . now I just need to use in game!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #18
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Is there some convenient method to get miles instead of yards for range? (Im sure there must be, but I missed it)
There are 1760 yards to 1 (land) mile; 2025 yards to 1 (nautical) mile; 7919 yards to 1 (geographical) mile.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #19
Kalzazz

Yeah, I was just curious if there was something I was missing, like in the D6 spellgen there is 'add X to the value to read the table as Y' so you can get miles, hours, days, pounds, kilograms, tons etc from the same table