Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
helium_wong

Default Curse and Scandals of Protection/Tinfoil Hat/Magnificent Hat

We can be hit by Curse in 6 ways:

1. Curse we draw when we Kick Open The Door. e.g., Curse! Lose 1 Level
2. Curse we play to us. e.g., Curse! Lose 1 Level
3. Curse we play to other player. e.g., Curse! New Edition Rules, or Curse! Lose 1 Level when we are in Dungeon of Comprehensive Curses
4. Curse other players draw when they Kick Open The Door. e.g., Curse! New Edition Rules, or Curse! Lose 1 Level when we are in Dungeon of Comprehensive Curses
5. Curse other players play to us. e.g., Curse! Lose 1 Level
6. Curse other players play to other player (except us). e.g., Curse! New Edition Rules, or Curse! Lose 1 Level when we are in Dungeon of Comprehensive Curses

I would like to know if my understanding for the following items and how they deal with the 6 scenario above is correct or not:

Scandals of Protection (Curse you drawn has no effect)
It can protect us from scenario 1 only. Curse from scenario 4 still hit us because the curse is not drawn by us.

Tinfoil Hat (Curse played by other player has no effect)
It can protect us from scenario 5 and 6. Curse from scenario 2 and 3 still hit us because the curse is played by us.

Magnificent Hat (Curse you drawn, or played by other player on you is reflected randomly)
It can reflect the curse from scenario 1, 5 and 6. Curse from scenario 2 and 3 still hit us because the curse is played by us. <Curse from scenario 4 hit us because the curse is not drawn by us and it is not played by other players. The "on you" words in the card make scenario 6 a bit tricky, but, I remembered that I read some old post and it has been ruled that MH can reflect curse from scenario 6.> (Actually, I don't know if I am right or not for the statement inside <>...)

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Curse and Scandals of Protection/Tinfoil Hat/Magnificent Hat

As the Dungeon of Comprehensive Curses does say you can avoid curses if you can, I'd allow the Sandals to protect you from case 4 as the Sandals would have to be pretty absurdly written to cover other players drawing the curse that hits you, especially when the dungeon that allows that is 5 expansions away.

Case 3 and the Magnificent Hat is a weird one that I might allow based on discussion at the table too. It depends on whether you say that the curse is being played on you by the dungeon or by yourself. Either seem to be valid interpretations, so it might be one of the cases to make up your own mind.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Curse and Scandals of Protection/Tinfoil Hat/Magnificent Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by helium_wong View Post
Scandals of Protection (Curse you drawn has no effect)
It can protect us from scenario 1 only. Curse from scenario 4 still hit us because the curse is not drawn by us.
I've found several threads, by searching for sandals protection where I say this is exactly the case, so I'll concur with myself and say that you are correct.

Quote:
Tinfoil Hat (Curse played by other player has no effect)
It can protect us from scenario 5 and 6. Curse from scenario 2 and 3 still hit us because the curse is played by us.
I'm unable to find anything to counter anything that you've said, so I'll say that it seems you are correct here, as well.

Quote:
Magnificent Hat (Curse you drawn, or played by other player on you is reflected randomly)
It can reflect the curse from scenario 1, 5 and 6. Curse from scenario 2 and 3 still hit us because the curse is played by us. <Curse from scenario 4 hit us because the curse is not drawn by us and it is not played by other players. The "on you" words in the card make scenario 6 a bit tricky, but, I remembered that I read some old post and it has been ruled that MH can reflect curse from scenario 6.> (Actually, I don't know if I am right or not for the statement inside <>...)
I hate the Magnificent Hat. I just wanted to get that out there. I feel it's possible I said something different in the past, but for right now, I'll concur with your assessment.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote