Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #91
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [OCC] Strange Neighbors

details:

Language is not written, but if this guy is American, he speaks english.
Cultural familiarity is "Western" by default.

TL is +0. I'm not using the standard TL system. Borderline TL 9/10 is a good choice though.

Where did he pick up his G-experience? I suppose he could have picked it up on the L-cities while working on the drive, but its unusual for his background

The disadvantages may not come into play, but if they do the character is in a pickle. And as a heads up, X-rays behave a little differently than in UT here, they do little damage but have an insane divisor. They hit people in the center of the ship all the time.

So you know, hacking is possible, but you're up against people who live in a virtual world. good luck.

Gyroc's don't exist in this setting. They use Chemical Guns and lasers. This character shouldn't end up using either, but its good to have. There are some funny rules in play, but this character at least shouldn't have to worry about the rules. Pick between the four (riffle, pistol, chemical, laser) and I'll give you the appropriate stuff. Be warned, the Lasers aren't particularly light, which is an issue here.

Where did he pick up intelligence analysis? He may nominally be in the military, but he's not trained for that. I'd actually put that point in warp navigation or warp piloting, which he is certainly exposed to.

Note on bio-engineering: you can have it without biology, but what you can do will be limited. If you're saving it for when you guys hit aliens (very soon, I promise!) then thats fine. Otherwise you learned the techniques, how to operate the equipment, and where told if you ever needed to use it to go find a biologist.

Armory (Vehicular armor) is for tanks, armored cars, helicopters, and the occasional plane. The roles used here will be (Space Ship armor) and (Battle Suit Armor). The FTL/STL paradigm is such that armoring a warp capable ship doesn't protect the drive. You may want to change that to Armoury (Combat Warp drives). In FTL, the warp field is your engine, shield, and primary weapon.

If you could sort the skills into categories, I would appreciate it: Combat, Engineer, Computer, Social, Scholar, Miscellaneous, and so forth.

The IQ bugs me. I'm charging an 10-point UB for it, as it is beyond exceptional, even if the 10 points come off IQ. I'm not trying to be unreasonable, someone tell me if I am.

You will also pick up a series of influence modifiers for "free"
-2 (military and spacers) "green civilian" you have no experience in the wood wars, yet have a pretty high rank in spite of it.
+2 (intellectals and engineers) "genius". I wonder why.

You're going to have courtesy rank 3 on the ship. No giving of orders, your orders just come from pretty high up.

I hope thats not too much. If those changes are made (And I assume the UB comes off the IQ, then he can start playing immediately)
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #92
Lamech

Things were smoother just removing a level of artificer, although I can take the extra points from IQ if you want. I'm not sure how Gyroc got into the character sheet, but it got turned into warp navigation. The intelligence analysis was turned into biology. I guess G-Experience just represents being naturally comfortable in gravity mostly. Especially in higher ones.

Strange Neighboors
Chief Engineer
Weight: 145 Hieght 5'10"
Spoiler:  
Hiriko
Andrew

Last edited by Lamech; 11-17-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #93
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Nitpick: earthlike isn't a biology specialization at this point. choices include micro, botanty (which is really seed bearing plants), and various phyla in the animal kingdom. If you want to keep earthlike I'll work with it, but you want it for bio engineering, so I'd advise at least picking a kingdom. As a note, Vertebrate genetic manipulation is almost exclusively mesubrain technology.

just change the entry above though. You can start playing Blackwing, the form of the biology just needs to be decided before you reach your destination.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #94
momothefiddler

I see Lamech is in the final stages of joining (hi Lamech!) - does that negate the still recruiting note? If not, I'm interested in joining.

I'm thinking maybe

The Chief of Mining: A rather large, gregarious man who's fond of parties and gambling, and

The Sniper: a rather gruff native of {Europa or Io} whose childhood wonder about space and technology remains, but is hidden behind years of war and disillusionment
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #95
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
I see Lamech is in the final stages of joining (hi Lamech!) - does that negate the still recruiting note? If not, I'm interested in joining.

I'm thinking maybe

The Chief of Mining: A rather large, gregarious man who's fond of parties and gambling, and

The Sniper: a rather gruff native of {Europa or Io} whose childhood wonder about space and technology remains, but is hidden behind years of war and disillusionment
right now we have 18,000 people on this ship (though players seem to love a particular 1500), and recruiting is up.

comments about character ideas:

sniper: he's viable, but be aware you won't spend much time on anything larger than 10 miles diameter (unless you guys really surprise me). Front line doesn't mean combat, it means the people doing the work rather than making desicions.

His back ground is interesting. As a heads up, his experience would have been during the Wood wars, and his side would have either switched alligences half way through or been conquered.

For equipment you'll want this post: Lazer table. UT is not canon in this setting, though if you want anything just ask.

Chief of Mining: Permissible, but you probably want to be closer to the top of the command chain. Definitely a civilian, rather than being attached to the ship.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #96
momothefiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
sniper: he's viable, but be aware you won't spend much time on anything larger than 10 miles diameter (unless you guys really surprise me). Front line doesn't mean combat, it means the people doing the work rather than making desicions.

His back ground is interesting. As a heads up, his experience would have been during the Wood wars, and his side would have either switched alligences half way through or been conquered.
Right. I chose that on purpose - he was on the losing side. In retrospect, it might be implausible that he'd be on such an important mission after serving under Wood. I'd hoped the promised aliens would help to break him out of his shell of cynicism and he'd do more discovery than actual sniping. Both the reawakening and the social repercussions of being conquered are entirely available without the actual 'sniper' part, though, so between <800' horizon distances and the service issues, maybe he shouldn't be military. What'd be a better fit? Also: Do you have established stuff on Europa and Io? I was gonna choose between the two based on that if there is any.

Quote:
Chief of Mining: Permissible, but you probably want to be closer to the top of the command chain. Definitely a civilian, rather than being attached to the ship.
Fair enough. Would Outpost Director be better?
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #97
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
Right. I chose that on purpose - he was on the losing side. In retrospect, it might be implausible that he'd be on such an important mission after serving under Wood. I'd hoped the promised aliens would help to break him out of his shell of cynicism and he'd do more discovery than actual sniping. Both the reawakening and the social repercussions of being conquered are entirely available without the actual 'sniper' part, though, so between <800' horizon distances and the service issues, maybe he shouldn't be military. What'd be a better fit? Also: Do you have established stuff on Europa and Io? I was gonna choose between the two based on that if there is any.

Fair enough. Would Outpost Director be better?
Its not implausible, there was a series of defections throughout the war. Though If he's attached to the ship he's IAH, which will take some explaining (a solitary defection?)

I have not established stuff on Jupiter's moons. They aren't backwaters though, support multiple colonies each, and were the site of most of the ground fighting of the war. If he's an experienced sniper, that certainly where he got it. You could build him as a "space wilderness expert", experienced to living in the suit for days and navigating unfamiliar terrain in it.

I would LOVE an Outpost Director! It gives someone for the captain to argue with.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #98
Lamech

Quote:
just change the entry above though. You can start playing Blackwing, the form of the biology just needs to be decided before you reach your destination.
The way biology is written there are two ways to specialize. One you must do, the planet type. Obviously my only choice for this is "earth-like" (GURPS Character Assistant makes you choose), the second is normally optional. If you specialize the skill drops difficulty a tier, and other uses of the skill are at -2; as written I don't have an optional specialty, and biology is still very hard for me.

Therefore I must ask: are you doing it differently? If you're not I can change it to something more specialized to help counter the overboard skill categories that GURPS likes to use. If you are doing it differently may I ask what the change is?
Hiriko
Andrew
Old 07-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #99
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
The way biology is written there are two ways to specialize. One you must do, the planet type. Obviously my only choice for this is "earth-like" (GURPS Character Assistant makes you choose), the second is normally optional. If you specialize the skill drops difficulty a tier, and other uses of the skill are at -2; as written I don't have an optional specialty, and biology is still very hard for me.

Therefore I must ask: are you doing it differently? If you're not I can change it to something more specialized to help counter the overboard skill categories that GURPS likes to use. If you are doing it differently may I ask what the change is?
I'm not familiar with the "specialize to drop it a difficulty tier", and I don't own assistant (I use openoffice calc for sheets). When skills normally have specialties, I consider the unmodified form to be "specializing in everything". You will always get unfamiliarity penalties on anything specific, though reduced from the normal. If you want to go with that, thats fine.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #100
Lamech

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the "specialize to drop it a difficulty tier", and I don't own assistant (I use openoffice calc for sheets). When skills normally have specialties, I consider the unmodified form to be "specializing in everything". You will always get unfamiliarity penalties on anything specific, though reduced from the normal. If you want to go with that, thats fine.
Oh the optional specialties are on 169, I pretty much never use them on a PC. I think I'll just go with the broad specialization.
Hiriko
Andrew

Tags
strange neighbors