Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #21
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Novice GM running GURP fantasy odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarvenHeart View Post
I believe I'll give the players the choice when something traumatic happens to them whether they would like to spice up their character with a disadvantage and get some points back.
I'd recommend not messing with this at all. As sir_pudding noted, there are already ways written into the system by which disadvantages can be acquired. Give those a shot first before you start creating new ones of your own.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #22
Joe

So it sounds as if we've now covered what I take to be the three biggest pitfalls awaiting a beginning GURPS GM:

1) Getting distracted by the rules instead of having a good time.

Clearly, you're on top of this - no problems here.

2) The players getting so excited by the amazing, amazing range of options in GURPS that they all create characters that are completely whacky.

Clearly, you've dealt with this before, so maybe my thoughts about solutions won't be very helpful. But here are some thoughts anyway:
  • Solve it like GURPS Dungeon Fantasy does: require the use of Templates. You could use the templates in Fantasy; or the lower-point value ones from one of the DF supplements (I've forgotten which).

Of course, you started this whole thread off by saying:
    Quote:
    I'm ready to break free from class based systems.
    ... which might mean that templates aren't for you. But it's worth saying that they're not really character classes, since they're a lot more flexible than that....
  • Alternatively, you could solve it by requiring players to spend their points on a set of pre-determined skill+advantage packages, representing their particular training. I first saw this in Kromm's "The Company" campaign (http://dr-kromm.livejournal.com/); a link to the file with the various skill+advantage packages is floating around the forums somewhere, if you're interested. That campaign is modern-day black ops; I wonder if anyone has done a similar set of training packages for Fantasy? That would be cool.
  • Or obviously you could just let the players do what they like and keep an eye on the results.

3) The players, who are used to less realistic systems, starting off very combat-happy and then being surprised and upset when the realism of the system leaves them maimed and bleeding after their first fight.

I like your idea of using 'luck tokens' to solve this. But since no-one has mentioned it so far, I thought I'd add that in GURPS this kind of issue is often solved simply by mandating that everyone take the "Lucky" advantage.

I've found this a good way to model slightly less deadly, slightly more cinematic genres like fantasy (or at least, fantasy as it's usually run). Or just as a way to give everyone a bit of protagonist protection, if you get my drift.

Right! That's quite enough from me. Dunno if any of that will be anything but obvious, but never mind. Hope the campaign goes well!

Last edited by Joe; 05-14-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #23
Pagan

Default Re: Stripe

Quote:
That would be awesome! I'll kick you a private message with contact information.

I was going to use a version of the Optional Rule to allow players to spend a character point to alter a roll one step: Failure to success. Instead, I'm thinking of giving all players 2 tokens for the same purpose and refill them when they complete an adventure. This may help the learning curve as we all get used to the lethality of the system is.
[/B].
If you are going for realism, this may hurt you. You players will start off learning to rely on that artificial luck instead of role-playing and strategy. I understand the need to do something to not let the lethality of Gurps overwhelm them but in a realistic type game you don't want them to be able to by their way out anytime it strikes them. (IMO).

That being said, if you wanted to give each character a talisman that did the same thing but only had so many uses then you could get them used to the lethality and keep that all important fear of death as the uses on their fate altering talimans counts down.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I can see your point. I believe I'll give the players the choice when something traumatic happens to them whether they would like to spice up their character with a disadvantage and get some points back.
Seriously, you need to read the box on B p. 291. Is there something about Chapter 9 that everybody skips it?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #25
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
[*]Alternatively, you could solve it by requiring players to spend their points on a set of pre-determined skill+advantage packages, representing their particular training. I first saw this in Kromm's "The Company" campaign (http://dr-kromm.livejournal.com/); a link to the file with the various skill+advantage packages is floating around the forums somewhere, if you're interested. That campaign is modern-day black ops; I wonder if anyone has done a similar set of training packages for Fantasy? That would be cool.
I started one, but I don't think I still have that file (I'll check when I get home).

I basically wrote some "background" lenses for Rural Poor, Urban Poor, Merchant, Barbarian, Noble, etc... with the skills, advantages, and disadvantages you'd have to take if you were raised in that setting.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #26
Jovus

Where are you?

(Some of us might like to join, if you have open seats!)
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #27
Mister Negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
But since no-one has mentioned it so far, I thought I'd add that in GURPS this kind of issue is often solved simply by mandating that everyone take the "Lucky" advantage.

I've found this a good way to model slightly less deadly, slightly more cinematic genres like fantasy (or at least, fantasy as it's usually run). Or just as a way to give everyone a bit of protagonist protection, if you get my drift.
This is very good advice. It's a good source of protection for novice players, and it's a good source of 'narrative control' for those with experience ("Whaddaya mean Legolas misses?").

In addition, the one thing separating "adventurers" from "travelers who got 'et" is luck. They might as well have it on their sheet.

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Mister Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #28
Jovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Negative View Post
This is very good advice. It's a good source of protection for novice players, and it's a good source of 'narrative control' for those with experience ("Whaddaya mean Legolas misses?").

In addition, the one thing separating "adventurers" from "travelers who got 'et" is luck. They might as well have it on their sheet.
Also, if you want to wean them off of it, I'd recommend giving them X tokens for the length of the campaign, where X is a number suited to your tastes. (Off the top of my head, I'd say about as much luck as they'd be able to use through the first fourth or third of the campaign, as planned.) If you do this, don't charge them for it, or charge them a cut-rate.

This has the effect that they can use their luck when they need it, but it isn't unlimited by any means. Also, they'll probably keep one or two tokens for later on, and use them in an awesome fashion.
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #29
whswhs

I've never gone in for the use of Luck, except in a supers game where Luck can be an actual power. I commonly start out a campaign with an encounter with a foe who (a) is not going to be a major threat to the PCs, so the players can gain familiarity with combat, or (b) will be interrupted before he kills them by some friendly NPC. I think if I used Luck I would worry that the players might not be sufficiently frightened of losing their characters for real, and thus might not pay close attention to the details of combat mechanics, because they would count on that get out of jail free effect.

I don't actually know that this would happen, because I don't normally allow Luck, though.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #30
Grouchy Chris

I had problems with my players showing up late, so I started offering a "good for one reroll, this game only" chit for those who get to the game on time. It has led to a great improvement in their punctuality, and I don't think it unbalances things. I'm just a little more cavalier about throwing dangerous things at them now.

Tags
fantasy, gritty, gurps, novice gm, odyseey