Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-11-2005, 07:39 PM   #1
Timmy

Default GURPS On Line

I was wondering what ever happened to the GURPS On Line project that was in the works a year or so ago. I was keeping tabs on it until one day "www.gurpsonline.com" started sending me to the sjgames front page.

Was this project cancelled? I was really looking forward to it.
Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
GreenNight

Default Re: GURPS On Line

Cancelled. There was even a forum here, but didn't last long after the cancelation IIRC.
GreenNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:26 PM   #3
Kale

It was a really ambitious project, and the software company that was going to do the 'crunchy' bits got distracted with a Lord of the Rings online game instead. With no technical 'developer' to create the system the project was abandoned.
It's a shame that the initiative fell apart, especially since rumer has it that there's going to be D20 online soon. GURPS needs to get back into the online game! We can only hope that the SJ Games crew is planning something sneaky and just don't want to tell us until they're ready.
Kale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:32 PM   #4
trappedslider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale
It's a shame that the initiative fell apart, especially since rumer has it that there's going to be D20 online soon. GURPS needs to get back into the online game! We can only hope that the SJ Games crew is planning something sneaky and just don't want to tell us until they're ready.
Rumor has it right and its D&D, release time is some time next year...from my limited knowledge i think it will be like the Matrix online and or like city of heros/villians
trappedslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:40 PM   #5
LoneWolf23k

I said it before, and I'll say it again: I think the perfect concept for a GURPS Online game would be Illuminati University: a setting where modern, future and fantasy combine, offering any of thousands of possibilities; a world concept with a built-in "leveling" system in the form of graduation; adventure hooks aplenty..

...Now, I've heard criticisms about having a "Silly" setting as the basis for a MMORPG game, but it doesn't have to be the Silly version of IOU. Perhaps a more serious version with some humerous elements?
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:53 PM   #6
trappedslider
Banned

Well, I think IMHO a major and well knowen setting works too..you have something that you can bulid up from Forgotten realms or even the new one Ebberon for D&D....from my understanding which is very limited I do not bleieve a major setting like the ones i mentioned is avalibe due to the diversity of GURPS books and the diveristy of GURPS fans...

There also the market and how much cash to make it vs how much will it make....for example the poeple who started on this project jumped ship and swim to a bigger and more well knowen money maker IE Lord of the rings...
Old 10-11-2005, 11:52 PM   #7
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedslider
Rumor has it right and its D&D, release time is some time next year...from my limited knowledge i think it will be like the Matrix online and or like city of heros/villians
Actually, from what I've heard it will be based on Eberron - Stormreach and the continent of Xen'drik, to be specific...
Old 10-12-2005, 04:29 AM   #8
Almafeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale
It's a shame that the initiative fell apart, especially since rumer has it that there's going to be D20 online soon.
Note that they were going to be different things; d20's online is going to be like Everquest, while GURPS Online was going to be more like Neverwinter Nights or Fuzzball (create your own game and host it).
Almafeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:55 AM   #9
cccwebs

The problem with the old planned GURPS online was that it was text based, with graphics being added almost as an afterthought.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:26 AM   #10
trappedslider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert
Actually, from what I've heard it will be based on Eberron - Stormreach and the continent of Xen'drik, to be specific...
Which if you read the above post is a setting for D&D...when i spoked about GURPS lacking and over an all offical setting like that IMHO