Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Bowser

Default Source List of Existing Ogre/GEV Scenarios

OK, let's try this.

1. I didn't get nearly far enough on this list this weekend, but I got a good start, so I'll present what I have now and add to it.

2. I'll do it a piece at a time simply to keep from going too crazy. Hopefully at some point, someone out there with an Ogre website would put this up. I'll let you know when I'm "finished".

3. Yeah, I know: Why list all of the SJGames scenarios on this list? After all "everyone" already knows about them, right? Well . . . maybe and maybe not. There seems to be a bunch of folks that have never even seen a previous copy of the game. Plus, I am a compulsive "completist" so I have to include them. So all you veterans, please bear with me.

4. Please let me know where I've made mistakes, made blatant omissions, and if you know any of the information where I've got question marks, forward that info to me and I'll update the list.

5. PLEASE excuse the lack of proper formatting. I'm having trouble with the primitive editor that these forums use and I can't get the indenting correct. I'll just post it as it is and when it gets put up somewhere, it will look much better. At least the information is getting out there!

Thanks!

Last edited by Bowser; 04-29-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: add'l comment
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Bowser

Default Re: Source List of Existing Ogre/GEV Scenarios

Ogre Scenarios – List and Sources

Last updated: 4/29/2012

This is an attempt to produce a list of all known scenarios for Ogre and/or G.E.V. and their various supplements. Of course, this really means “known by me”, so there are quite likely more out there that I have never seen. All attempts have been made to give full credit to the authors and to give enough of a source so that modern players can seek this material out.

I have three blatant reasons for compiling this list:

1) Get this material into the hands of the players! Many players may not know about some of these scenarios while the new players might be missing out on quite a bit.
2) Promote Cyberboard. Some of the scenarios listed below have the note “also for Cyberboard”. Cyberboard is a software tool for playing tabletop games across the internet via e-mail. The goal is to reproduce as closely as possible the experience of playing the game on a table face-to-face. While it might take a bit of puzzling out to create a new “gamebox”, creating a new scenarios shouldn’t be that bad, and certainly using Cyberboard to actually play existing Cyberboard scenarios is quite easy. I suggest heading over to Tristan’s Ogre/GEV page at http://www.sirdinglydang.com/index.htm where there is a link to go download the Cyberboard program and use Tristan’s Cyberboard Ogre QUICKSTART Manual and the Cyberboard Manual to learn how to use it. Located here: http://www.sirdinglydang.com/Cyberboard_PBeM_Player.htm
3) To promote the creation of new scenarios! Use this as a reference to see what has already been done. This list will never be absolutely complete (so send a shout-out to Bowser if you find more!), but at least you won’t reinvent something that someone else has already done. It should also help you get new ideas for further scenarios. Find me on the SJGames Ogre forums.

There really isn’t a “standard format” to use if you have a scenario idea, but I present below the next best thing. Here are the guidelines given by SJGames when they were soliciting new scenarios for what was to become their Ogre Scenarios, Book I supplement. By covering all these points, you should have an extremely well documented full-blown scenario.

Basic Design Skeleton for Scenario Development.
These are the “official” guidelines for submitting scenarios to Steve Jackson Games and are (I believe) what was used for the submissions that made up the Ogre Scenarios, Book I product. You won’t make any money by submitting them to SJG, but using these guidelines to apply some consistency isn’t a bad idea . . . [from: http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/scenarios/osbstyle.html ]

X.0 Title.
By Author (name)
X.10 Introduction.
X.11 Overview. This section gives an idea what the scenario is about ("An Ogre tries to wipe out a CP.")
X.12 Necessary materials. This section explains what rules set the scenario is intended for, and what, if any, optional rules apply. It also notes where the units required for the scenario can be found.
X.20 Setup.
X.21 Map. This section explicitly determines the map used, and the orientation of the map.
X.22 Defender. This section designates what units are available.
X.23 Defender placement. This section covers where the available units may be placed.
X.24 Attacker. This section designates what units are available.
X.25 Attacker placement. This section covers where the available units may be placed.
X.30 Game Play.
This section covers any special conditions or options available during actual play of the scenario. It also designates order of play. Tactics may be mention either in this section, or in X.40 Endgame.
X.40 Endgame.
X.41 Defender objective.
X.42 Attacker objective.
X.43 Ending the scenario. What must happen for the scenario to be over.
X.44 Winning. Victory conditions.
X.50 Variants.
Each scenario should include at least two variants. If an Ogre is involved, a simple variant is to upgrade or downgrade the Ogre, and provide notes for altering the opposition. If an Ogre is not used, provide notes for adding one. Other simple variants include relaxing a limitation imposed by the scenario, allowing reinforcements (if not already allowed), altering the probabilities of random events, or alterations to the basic allowable forces to handicap a player. All variants should note how the variant alters the victory conditions.

And now, on to the List! (Note that while I list the SJGames-published scenarios first, I do not imply any kind of “best to worst” ranking by the way I list them. If anyone has a suggestion for some type of “quality score” for these scenarios, please let me know.)

Ogre (1st 1977, 5th 2000): “official”

Basic Scenario (section 1.03)
Advanced Scenario (section 1.04)
Mark III on Defense (section 9.02)
Mark IIIs Attacking (section 9.03)
Ogre Defending (section 9.04)
Duel (section 9.05)

G.E.V. (1st 1978, most recent 2000): “official”

Breakthrough (section 9.02)
Raid (section 9.03)
The Train (section 9.04)
Ceasefire Collapse (section 9.05)

Shockwave (1st 1984, 2nd and most recent: 2000): “official”

Ogre / Shockwave Scenarios
The Day Before (section 7.02)
Super CP (section 7.03)

G.E.V. / Shockwave Scenarios
“Nuts!” (section 8.02)
Recon in Force (section 8.03)
Casey Joneski (section 8.04)

Ogre Reinforcement Pack (1st 1987, 2nd and most recent 2000): “official”

The Day After (section 7.02)
Body Blow (section 7.03)
Fake Out (section 7.04)

Ogre Battlefields (1st & only 2001): “official”

Ceasefire Collapse (altered from G.E.V.)
Breakthrough, Map G-2 (altered from G.E.V.)
Breakthrough, Map S-2 (altered from G.E.V.)
Raid, Map G-3 (altered from G.E.V.)
Raid, Map S-3 (altered from G.E.V.)
The Last Train Out, Map G-2
Same Song, Second Verse, Map G-3
Disputed Crossing, Map S-2
A Bridge Too Near, Map S-3

The Ogre Book, 2nd Ed. (1st & only 2000): Some are non-canon or need revision because later game releases made certain features obsolete. Some of the articles go back to the late 1970s.

Iron Mountain (J. Richard Jarvinen, p. 59)
Exercise K (Steve Jackson, p. 65) Before being downloaded into their formidable BPC shells, upgraded Ogre AIs undergo rigorous field tests on virtual battlefields within the Combine's most powerful supercomputers. This scenario recreates such electronic wargames as several Ogres play out survival of the fittest millions of times per second.
Fencer Attack (Steve Jackson, p. 69) A variant of the original Advanced Scenario from Ogre, with a Fencer and some GEVs as the attacking force.
Appointment With Glory (Steve Jackson, p. 71)
End Game (J. D. Bell, p. 72)
Icepick (Craig York and Steve Jacks, p. 102) A Scenario for G.E.V., including a guide to map-bashing and some fiction.
Operation Newspaper (Steve Jackson, p. 119) A scenario using the maps from G.E.V. and Shockwave, and lots of LGEVs.

Ogre Scenarios, Book I (1st & only 2001): “official”

1.0 Hammer and Anvil (Alvin Helms)
2.0 The Black Knight (Peter Lowter)
3.0 DreadEx (Kevin Henson)
4.0 Kill the Ogre (Barry Stockinger)
5.0 Run for the Border (Chris Dellicarpini)
6.0 Spoiling Attack (C. Andrew Walters)
7.0 The Thin Line (David Valenze)

From SJGames Ogre Page: http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/

Badlands (by ??) A scenario using the map from Necromancer.
Kill the Howitzer (by Garth Getgen) A straightforward attempt by a small GEV force to take out a defending howitzer.
The Mecklenburg Gamble (by ??) From the first issue of one Drow magazine, is a straightforward scenario on the G.E.V. map.
Operation Newspaper (by Steve Jackson – see The Ogre Book) A scenario using the maps from G.E.V. and Shockwave, and lots of LGEVs.
Fencer Attack (by Steve Jackson – see The Ogre Book) A variant of the original Advanced Scenario from Ogre, with a Fencer and some GEVs as the attacking force.
Last of the Red-Hot Coelacanths (by Tom Warner) A scenario featuring a hovercraft Ogre. Also includes stats for the "Goliath" suicide Ogre.
Ogre March (by Dave Seagraves) A scenario for G.E.V..
Icepick (by Craig York and Steve Jackson – see The Ogre Book) A Scenario for G.E.V., including a guide to map-bashing and some fiction.
Exercise K (Steve Jackson – see The Ogre Book) Before being downloaded into their formidable BPC shells, upgraded Ogre AIs undergo rigorous field tests on virtual battlefields within the Combine's most powerful supercomputers. This scenario recreates such electronic wargames as several Ogres play out survival of the fittest millions of times per second.
Free For All (by ??) This is an all-day Ogre Miniatures scenario for two teams and many players.
Under the Sea (by William Spencer) A scenario which takes place under the sea, of course. Fishtanks recommended.
The Nihon Invasion of San Francisco (by Keith Johnson) A Deluxe G.E.V. scenario which uses USGS aerial photography of the San Francisco Bay Area for the map.

Last edited by Bowser; 04-29-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: formatting
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Bowser

Default Re: Source List of Existing Ogre/GEV Scenarios

Part Two:

Command Post Gamma (using the Wayback Machine):
http://web.archive.org/web/200707021....us/index.html

Fighting Retreat
Scenario Contest
Valhalla
Great Patriotic War
The Cornered Beast
Turkey Day Turkey Shoot
Breakout
Extraction
Exercise T
Atomic Soccer
Company Commander campaign

Tristan’s Ogre/GEV page: http://www.sirdinglydang.com/index.htm

Note: There are many of the above scenarios listed under Ogre, G.E.V., Shockwave, etc., that Tristan has made available as Cyberboard scenarios. He provides a link to get the Cyberboard program and a “Get Started” guide to Cyberboard using Ogre. What are you waiting for?

Counter Attack! (also for Cyberboard!) A sequel to David Morse’s Great Patriotic War.
Passchendaele 2083 (also for Cyberboard!) British infantry vs. German Paneuropean formation.
The Calm Before the Storm (also for Cyberboard!) Pan-Islamic League vs. Fortress of Israel featuring the Ogre Mark IV.
Ravaged Coast (also for Cyberboard!) Featuring an original map.
Two Nations One War (also for Cyberboard!) A campaign scenario for Ogre/GEV/Shockwave. Will take 25+ turns on a big map.
Einkreisung (also for Cyberboard!) Self-aware cybertanks develop their own strategies for defeating human based forces - Einkreisung! In this battle, Paneuropean Ogres plan to pierce the Combine line, and then encircle and destroy all defenders. Multiple Ogres and close quarters mean furious action.
Battle For Mars mini-campaign (also for Cyberboard) Almost a complete game in itself!
The Bitter Canyon Incident (also for Cyberboard!) by Atomic Kennedy! Awesome large custom map!!!
Ogre: Kraken! (also for Cyberboard!) Naval units for Ogre! Combine with regular Ogre for a truly multi-front war. Playtesting needed, perhaps not final design. See the SJGames Ogre forum under “Sea Ogre”.
Ogre: Mars! (also for Cyberboard!) Fight it out on the surface of the Red Planet. This is a three-stage campaign where the results from the first battles greatly affect the later ones. Only a few slight additions to the standard game.

From K-Slacker’s Ogre Factory: http://members.shaw.ca/k-slacker/OGRE.htm
K-Slacker has a number of variant units and rules which he uses freely in these scenarios, but the scenarios seem quite well written and well thought out. Very nice page.

Prelude to Invasion (by K-Slacker) A scenario set in San Francisco. Needs the map from The Nihon Invasion of San Francisco (by Keith Johnson) – find it under the SJGames’ Ogre Page. http://members.shaw.ca/k-slacker/Pre...20Invasion.htm
Fear and Loathing in Duluth (by K-Slacker) A scenario set in Duluth. Requires Matt Goldman's map of Duluth, created for his scenario "Blowing Up Duluth”. Go here: http://members.shaw.ca/k-slacker/Fea...20Loathing.htm For Matt Goldman’s map, go here: http://www.visi.com/~goldman/ogre/
A Note on “Blowing Up Duluth”: The map is excellent!! But as a scenario, it is hardly sketched out. Towards the bottom of the page, he gives some scenario ideas, but nowhere that I can find does he flesh them out. If anyone has any more information on “Blowing Up Duluth”, PLEASE contact me.
I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up (by K-Slacker) A rescue/capture a prototype Mk. IV. http://members.shaw.ca/k-slacker/I%27ve%20Fallen.htm
Badlands Blockade (by K-Slacker) A scenario using the Necromancer map. See also the scenario “Badlands” under the SJGames Ogre Scenarios Page, above. http://members.shaw.ca/k-slacker/Bad...20Blockade.htm