Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Refplace

Default Challenge for settings:GURPS TOON

Ok, from the other thread I figured I would post this so as not to derail it further.
I think Cartoons are a tough one to build but that it could be done with some work.
How though?
I think a Toon metatrait is a good starting point.
Also you have to make some setting assumptions.
So to start with I am thinking this based on classic toon (as I recall it) and that means some really old cartoons, not animae.

Meta Trait: Toon
Unkillable 2, Extreme Regeneration only out of combat (or between scenes).

Common Powers:
Luck, Serendipity, Super Luck, Unluckiness.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Challenge for settings:GURPS TOON

They're also all contortionists.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
dataweaver

I think that for a Toon setting, you'll want to apply and/or invent some setting options. Liberal use of such things as flesh wounds will go a long way to address the resilience that toons demonstrate: it's not that they never get hurt badly; it's more like the injuries (and sometimes the deaths) never stick.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Refplace

Yeah I thought about Elastic skin and Flexibility but its not really always voluntary.
I also thought about Supernatural durability but its not really a good fit for most.
Yeah Flesh Wounds is a good option. I am sure there are more and the metatrait was just a start. And probably not a complete one either.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Psychotime

I assume we're talking Tex Avery/Warner Bros toons?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
I think that for a Toon setting, you'll want to apply and/or invent some setting options. Liberal use of such things as flesh wounds will go a long way to address the resilience that toons demonstrate: it's not that they never get hurt badly; it's more like the injuries (and sometimes the deaths) never stick.
Setting options, yes. But would that solve the problem of a mixed toon / real world setting such as Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, where toons and "real" people mix it up together in the same world?

I suppose you could define those setting options as options only applicable to those with the Toon Meta-Trait, or possibly as options that get included as Extra Option perks in that meta-trait but that no one gets by default (this could also differentiate some "throw away" toon characters from things like toon PCs or important toon NPCs).
Old 04-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
dataweaver

Unless you're mixing toons and norms in the game, I don't see much reason for a meta-trait at all: just work up a "slapstick combat system" where you have lots of pain and afflictions but little in the way of lasting injuries (with the occasional exception; I recall a Roadrunner cartoon where, unlike most, the Coyote's injuries accumulated throughout the course of the short), and where the success of the attack has more to do with how satisfying it would be to see the target suffer rather than on how skilled the combatants are. This has the additional advantage of letting you add humorous injuries to otherwise-serious games, such as the hyper dimensional mallet that has a disturbing tendency to crop up in anime series.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Unless you're mixing toons and norms in the game, I don't see much reason for a meta-trait at all: just work up a "slapstick combat system" where you have lots of pain and afflictions but little in the way of lasting injuries (with the occasional exception; I recall a Roadrunner cartoon where, unlike most, the Coyote's injuries accumulated throughout the course of the short), and where the success of the attack has more to do with how satisfying it would be to see the target suffer rather than on how skilled the combatants are. This has the additional advantage of letting you add humorous injuries to otherwise-serious games, such as the hyper dimensional mallet that has a disturbing tendency to crop up in anime series.
I believe you could get some tips for a silly combat system from GURPS Goblins as well (3rd Ed, but very fun).
Old 04-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
dataweaver

Likewise with GURPS IOU (I never did figure out what that darn "O" stands for).
Old 04-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
starslayer

I think it also comes down to WHICH cartoons. Disney toons are much less resilient then WB toons. The Hanna-Barbara toons, while every bit as classic, are only about a resilient as any comedy protagonists would be. Popeye gets a lot of weird flailing about but things as mundane as bricks and punches are a serious threat to all individuals within (unless they've eaten there spinach). Wile-E-Coyote on the other hand seems to be completely unkillable. Tom of Tom & Jerry seems unkillable, but I am not sure if the same invulnerability extends to Jerry who we never see seriously hurt. Potentially it's a situation of 'villainous verisimilitude'- The bad guy is invincible because we want to show bad things happening to the bad guy.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, toon