Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Clipper

Default New Munchkin Gameplay Flowcharts

Given the flowchart mentioned in the Critical Info thread has apparently been undergoing changes for over a year, and that I had a bit of spare time, I thought I'd make my own set of Munchkin gameplay flowcharts for my gaming group.

I've made them available (with what I think is all the appropriate information from the SJG Online Policy) for viewing or download here.

This isn't meant to be a replacement for the other flowchart, which it seems tried to condense all the gameplay info onto one page (according to the old copy I found with a search online, assuming it's the same one). It is more intended to indicate specific order of all the turn actions and also clarify at which points you are allowed to play cards that can be played at any time and which points you aren't. It is much more verbose than the other one and covers three pages (although you only need two of those pages if you play with the standard rules).

I've designed it to cover both the standard and Faster Play rules as well as supporting the Epic version of the Kick Open the Door phase. I tried to include all options from the current expansions as well, such as fighting steeds and kicking open portals, although it currently is only designed for Fantasy Munchkin, so rules for rooms, powers, ships and so on aren't covered (I'm yet to play a game of non-Fantasy).

I'm pretty sure most things are correct and complete, but would appreciate any input or suggestions for improvement. The only thing I'm not sure about is the colour of the lines I'm using for the Run Away process. I'm using my method 3 from this post currently, but can easily change it if the official choice is different. Method 2 would simply turn all the straight lines in Run Away black while Method 1 would turn all the lines in Run Away black (oh, and either change would change the blue line in Combat to be black too).

So, long story short, have I got everything right? Does it make sense? Have I missed anything? Does anybody else find it useful?

Edit: I'll add that I do plan to make it look a bit prettier later, but I'm much more concerned with getting the mechanics right, first.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
RL

Default Re: New Munchkin Gameplay Flowcharts

Once you've finalized these, you can submit them to SJ Games for them to post on the Resources page.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
pointed

I'm going to dito chad. this would probably help them out a bunch and then they would be free to make more munchkinly stuff. *evil grin*

Munchkin Trade List
pointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

I thought Andrew said it's in layout's hands. That means that they are working on a product that they want to distribute. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Clipper

If this clashes with any planned products, then I'm happy to discontinue it, of course. The only info I knew of the old chart's status is the note in the Critical Links thread that it was taken offline in Feb 2011 for tweaking and apparently never came back. As I said, my charts serve quite a different purpose to the old chart, though (assuming the chart I found on the Internet is the old chart).

Mine is much finer grained and a complement to the old idea. they could be used to learn the general flow of the game, but they are much more useful as a tool to determine what you can play when and to document some of the more obscure timing issues (such as discarding combat cards before drawing treasure for a won combat, which is important to know for Clerics).

I'm thinking I should add something about checking if monsters pursue you to the running away process. Are there any other additions people think might be nice?

Edit: I also keep forgetting to say that I'm surprised I was able to do the Epic Kick Open the Door phase without any crossed links. I expected that chart to be quite serpentine in nature.

Edit 2: Realised I can't add the 'will not pursue' thing properly until I get an answer from my other thread about running away. It comes down to whether you can choose to run away from monsters that don't pursue you(with an automatic escape of course). If you are not supposed to run from them at all, then you are susceptible to GUALs that will make them come after you, for example. If they do form part of the order of monsters that you run from, you can run from them first so they won't attack if you somehow go up a level and thus become a potential target.

Last edited by Clipper; 03-10-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

The point of our flowchart is not to show every possible variation of gameplay, but to show the usual sequence of a turn as an aid for new players who don't have a grasp on even the basic rules yet. I'm afraid that your chart is useless for that purpose. You seem to want an overall guide that will answer every possible timing question, and I'm so sure that's impossible that I'm declining even to try.

(And yes, we're behind on getting that updated. Last year was very full, with two core sets and LOTS of expansions, plus our first forays into licensed Munchkin games. To say nothing of the insane amount of travel I did between July and October. We're still climbing back on top of some of the things, like the FAQ update and Tournament Rules, that had to be shoved aside in order to make sure products went to print on time. The flowchart is somewhere near the bottom of that pile.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:07 AM   #7
Clipper

Glad to see we agree that my charts tackle the completely different problem and aren't meant to replace the older one, Andrew.

Once the few things I'm unsure about the official rulings for (like if you can interfere after the declaration of loss but before the first attempt to run away and whether you add monsters that won't pursue you to the order of monsters you run from) are cleared up, I think this would be a complete timing setup.

We would have every possible action of the game defined with regard to timing of when non-interrupting cards can and can't be played. It's logically provable that this would cover every situation.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #8
onlyanthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
So, long story short, have I got everything right? Does it make sense? Have I missed anything? Does anybody else find it useful?
That's pretty great!

Question for you, do you have the "Have all combatants run?" yes and no in the right place? Swap them?

-Anthony
onlyanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyanthony View Post
That's pretty great!

Question for you, do you have the "Have all combatants run?" yes and no in the right place? Swap them?

-Anthony
Oh, that was a silly mistake there, yeah. Thanks heaps for finding that. I had turned that one from vertical to horizontal flowchart when I realised that it was the best way to make it fit, and just didn't think when I moved the labels around.

I've just uploaded a new version (same link) that includes the 'will not pursue' and 'even if you escape' options that often appear on the cards.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
Aahz

Have you thought about adding "sacrifice a hireling" step before the run away roll? (I always have to think on that one for some reason and many players forget they can do that.)

Kerry
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny. - J. Handey
Aahz is offline   Reply With Quote