Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #31
David Latapie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: France
Default Re: Compendium of Kromm Quotes

I beg to differ.

Wiki = some administrative work at the beginning, almost none after that. From a company point of view, this is a fire-and-forget strategy. You get extra employees for no money. Free extra trafic, free knowledge base...

A wiki has mostly the same advantages as a forum (except that forum emphasizes traffic where wiki emphasize content). Both are free lunch for companies, since the community is not asking for any salary to do the job.

We just have to convince SJG about this.
__________________
</david_latapie>
david.latapie.name
plus.google.com/+DavidLatapie/
David Latapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #32
Rasputin
 
Rasputin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Default Re: Compendium of Kromm Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris View Post
That's asking SJG to take on a lot of administrative work, and the wiki has yet to demonstrate that it's all that useful.
Yes for the first statement, though again, this might be best tied to the fora, cutting this down. For the second, however, there have been at least three GURPS wikis that have cropped up since 4e, and that's off the top of my head. There is demand. Right now, there's the wiki referenced, and Jürgen's; that's plenty of redundant work, and keeping them separate from the SJG site cuts down on the visibility to potential contributors.
__________________
Cura isto securi, Eugene.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #33
David Latapie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: France
Default Re: Compendium of Kromm Quotes

I agree wholeheartedly. For tying them down, surely a SSO solution would allow using forum credentials on the wiki.
__________________
</david_latapie>
david.latapie.name
plus.google.com/+DavidLatapie/
David Latapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #34
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics
 
roguebfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne FL, Formerly Wellington NZ
Default Re: Compendium of Kromm Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Latapie View Post
I beg to differ.

Wiki = some administrative work at the beginning, almost none after that. From a company point of view, this is a fire-and-forget strategy. You get extra employees for no money. Free extra trafic, free knowledge base...

A wiki has mostly the same advantages as a forum (except that forum emphasizes traffic where wiki emphasize content). Both are free lunch for companies, since the community is not asking for any salary to do the job.

We just have to convince SJG about this.
I'll have to disagree with you, there a huge task that Wikia admins are doing for the GURPS wiki, Spam fighting.
__________________
Rogue the Bronze Firelizard
Gerald Grenier, Jr. Hail Eris!
Rogue's Weyr
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #35
David Latapie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: France
Default Re: Compendium of Kromm Quotes

So is Wikipedia. But this is done by the fans.

An easy way to fix it is what phpBB3 is doing: add a custom semantic captcha whose answer is always the same and can't be easily defeated.

On my forum, I ask a question that can't be solved just by reading the question (contrary to mathematical captcha). Since the answer is always the same, the user's browser can remember it and so disturbance is minimal for the user (in any case, the user should remember the answer after typing it three times...)

Sure, it requires coding a part of the wiki, but that should be easy for the webmaster.
__________________
</david_latapie>
david.latapie.name
plus.google.com/+DavidLatapie/
David Latapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #36
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics
 
roguebfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne FL, Formerly Wellington NZ
Default Re: Compendium of Kromm Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Latapie View Post
An easy way to fix it is what phpBB3 is doing: add a custom semantic captcha whose answer is always the same and can't be easily defeated.
All Captcha are easily defeated the major spammers have set up porn games where they feed the player the next captcha to a player who has to "break it" to get their next picture.
__________________
Rogue the Bronze Firelizard
Gerald Grenier, Jr. Hail Eris!
Rogue's Weyr
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #37
Bruno
 
Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Default Re: Compendium of Kromm Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
All Captcha are easily defeated the major spammers have set up porn games where they feed the player the next captcha to a player who has to "break it" to get their next picture.
There's also mechanical turk services and the like for the same goals.
__________________
All about Size Modifier; Grand Unified Hit Location Table
A Wiki for my F2F Group
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #38
David Latapie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: France
Default Re: Compendium of Kromm Quotes

To fix this, ask a question which answer is well-known in the community, but not elsewhere.

For instance: "what does U stands for in GURPS" (G is a bad idea, because it could be either General or Generic"). Sure, the answer is on Wikipedia, but I doubt spammer will spend that much time on this (YMMV).
__________________
</david_latapie>
david.latapie.name
plus.google.com/+DavidLatapie/
David Latapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #39
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics
 
roguebfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne FL, Formerly Wellington NZ
Default Re: Compendium of Kromm Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Latapie View Post
To fix this, ask a question which answer is well-known in the community, but not elsewhere.

For instance: "what does U stands for in GURPS" (G is a bad idea, because it could be either General or Generic"). Sure, the answer is on Wikipedia, but I doubt spammer will spend that much time on this (YMMV).
Actually yes they wound, there is a certain amount of configuration you need to do to a spambot to target a new site, as something like that, especial when it the same question ever time is very easy and very worth it to them

Make the question harder and you're putting a big sign new members unwelcome
__________________
Rogue the Bronze Firelizard
Gerald Grenier, Jr. Hail Eris!
Rogue's Weyr
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:41 AM   #40
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyïv, Ukraine
Default Re: Compendium of Kromm Quotes

How about requiring a minimum number of posts AND account age on this forum to get wiki editing rights automatically. With the ability to bypass the requirement with the approval from a senior member?
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
Also, GURPS Discord is a nice place for (faster) Q&A and overall GURPS dicussion.
vicky_molokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kromm, kromm answer, kromm explanation, reference, wikia

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.