Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 09-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Munchkin King

Default Your Dirtiest Tricks

What was the dirtiest trick you've ever played at the Munchkin (any flavor) table that was not actually against the rules?
Munchkin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Your Dirtiest Tricks

In one game, I had a bunch of Cheesy Promotional Bookmarks of Power and distributed them to the other players before the game as I'm the one that buys all the Munchkin stuff and I don't like using the promo stuff unfairly.

In the game, somebody decided to use theirs, tore it up, recited the text perfectly, giving the tra la las with gusto. Everybody laughed. When he sat down, I pointed out that he had neglected to throw away any of the pieces while doing so and according to rule 4, it means he wasted the bookmark. The look on his face was priceless in that he'd embarrassed himself for no reason, but it was all in good fun.

He also got me back later by using Trained Moths! to stop me from using a different bookmark in one of his combats, allowing him to win the game, so there was no hard feelings.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Munchkin King

In one game of Super Munchkin, I got the +2 Spray-on Costume which I couldn't use (it's a guy thing). I traded the costume to a girl-player for her +1 Telezapinator. Nobody knew it, but I was holding the Alternate World Version card in my hand.

The next monster she was up against, I hit her with it, turning her into a boy with a -5 due to distraction, without her +1 weapon, which she only didn't have because she traded it away to me for a +2 item which I made ueless to her, so that was a triple whammy, even worse because the main reason why I made the traded the 'Costume to her was so I could take it away from her when she needed it most.

She went one to be the second most aggressive, vicious, cutthroat players you could hope to meet and to edge me out of a few tournament winners' circles.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
Fatony

LOO - Least objectionable outcome. While forced - FORCED to help due to Kneepads of Allure - Forced to help someone with my +32 advantage. After many wandering monsters and jimmy cards - we were still strong enough to win. I used the Fighter ability to discard most of my +'s (+4, +5, +2) just to ensure my "buddy" would lose. Ended up not winnig myself, but cost the guy who SHOULD have won the game to lose. A less objectionable "buddy: won - sadly not me. But a great "screw you" played!
Fatony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatony View Post
LOO - Least objectionable outcome. While forced - FORCED to help due to Kneepads of Allure - Forced to help someone with my +32 advantage. After many wandering monsters and jimmy cards - we were still strong enough to win. I used the Fighter ability to discard most of my +'s (+4, +5, +2) just to ensure my "buddy" would lose. Ended up not winnig myself, but cost the guy who SHOULD have won the game to lose. A less objectionable "buddy: won - sadly not me. But a great "screw you" played!
But you can't win when using the Kneepads of Allure, so why did you stop him? Or did you just want to stop him getting to Level 9 or something? As soon as enough monsters are added so that he would now be able to get the winning level in the combat, you are allowed to leave if you were forced to help via the Kneepads.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Munchkin King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
In one game, I had a bunch of Cheesy Promotional Bookmarks of Power and distributed them to the other players before the game as I'm the one that buys all the Munchkin stuff and I don't like using the promo stuff unfairly.

In the game, somebody decided to use theirs, tore it up, recited the text perfectly, giving the tra la las with gusto. Everybody laughed. When he sat down, I pointed out that he had neglected to throw away any of the pieces while doing so and according to rule 4, it means he wasted the bookmark. The look on his face was priceless in that he'd embarrassed himself for no reason, but it was all in good fun.

He also got me back later by using Trained Moths! to stop me from using a different bookmark in one of his combats, allowing him to win the game, so there was no hard feelings.
To stop me from using a The Munchkin Bites Bookmark of Powerful Empowerment, where you prowl around the table like a werewolf chanting, "I want to win, I want to win..." a few of my opponents got up from the table to physically restrain me from dancing around the table. I protested to the MiB judging the tournament, arguing that I came to play Munchkin, not rugby, but the MiB overruled my objections, declaring it NOT against the rules for the Munchkins to physically restrain each other for the purposes of blocking a bookmark play.

I calculated a hole in their defense, namely that "The Table" was actually 2 tables pushed together--or WAS it?--before they realized it, I'd split the tables apart and shot between the gap, completing the circuit around one of the 2 smaller tables. Afterwards I found out that people say I was the munchkin who overturned tables and knocked tables over in the tournament. Legends always get bigger in the telling.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Clipper

That's unpleasant to hear. It doesn't sound like a very fun tournament to be playing in if physical restraint is encouraged. I congratulate you on finding a way to beat them at their own game, though. I don't think I could have done the same, probably just walking away and reporting it.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

That MIB was mistaken. It is never appropriate to use physical assault to prevent the use of a promotional item. I'm sorry that happened.

Twitter: @SJGames || Facebook: SJ Games and Munchkin || Medium: @SJGames
Instagram: @stevejacksongames || YouTube: Steve Jackson Games

New Munchkin player? Visit our Munchkin 101 forum!
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
MunchkinMan
Super Moderator

I want to know who that was so I can bop him on the nose. Nothing like givin' us hard working joes a bad name. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
Malkavman

I once used the Blue Coin and The Wand of Dowsing to retrieve Divine intervention twice to win from level 8 with no combat.

"I wouldn't even take a whiz on this! I used to DREAM of taking a whiz on this!" - The Monarch
Malkavman is offline   Reply With Quote