Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Dark_0n3

Default Orc question

Just to be sure... So one of the players (not an orc) plays Income Tax (or hit by it). He chooses an item to discard. Can another players, who is an orc, loose a level instead of paying the tax. Other player was hit by a curse, not him, but the curse is for everyone.
Dark_0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Orc question

I'm going to rule yes, since the Curse does have a negative effect on the Orc, but I'm open to counterargument.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
emillang1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I'm going to rule yes, since the Curse does have a negative effect on the Orc, but I'm open to counterargument.
At first I was going to possibly argue, but then when I read the Orc card carefully:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orc Card
An Orc who is hit with a curse can always choose to ignore the curse and lose a level instead - unless he's already at Level 1.
It never says anything to specify that it needs to be TARGETED by the curse, just that it has to be "hit with" one. In this case, "hit with" can be inferred to mean "affected by," meaning that, regardless of if the Curse is targeting or universal, the Orc can just shrug it off by going down a level.

At the same time, "hit with" could also mean inferred to mean "have a curse specifically target," in which case any universal effect on players, such as that from Income Tax, bypasses the orcs ability to shrug it off (much like how Universal non-damaging effects work on creatures with Protection in Magic the Gathering).

The question, then, is this: what is the SPECIFIC ruling on the definition of "hit with" - is it to be taken to mean "affected by at all, regardless of targets" or "specifically targeted by"? (This may be worth adding to the FAQ page, since the wording as-is is REALLY up to personal interpretation, and could cause a LOT of rules-lawyer banter without a hard ruling)

By the way, I'm going on the assumption that "targeting" is defined as "anything which specifically denotes a player(s) in its effect, as indicated by the words 'you' or makes note of a specific player whose position is in direct relation to you, such as 'to your left' or 'to your right,' etc." I'm also assuming that "universal" is defined as "anything which does NOT denote any specific player or players, especially in relation to any one other specific player, but instead refers to all players collectively or makes a stipulation which any player may, at any time, occupy, such as 'the player with the highest level' or 'the player with the fewest items,' etc."

Last edited by emillang1000; 01-08-2012 at 06:11 PM.
emillang1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emillang1000 View Post
At the same time, "hit with" could also mean inferred to mean "have a curse specifically target," in which case any universal effect on players, such as that from Income Tax, bypasses the orcs ability to shrug it off (much like how Universal non-damaging effects work on creatures with Protection in Magic the Gathering).
As a model, I'm going with the rule from the Dungeon of Comprehensive Curses, which specifically allows each character to evade universal curses if the character has a means of doing so.

And you're correct: this should be added to the FAQ.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote