Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 11-27-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
Drakyrias

Default Bold Plan of Freedom

Looking for advice, tips, blazing condemnations or warnings on a plot line I'm thinking about developing. But lacking the Ethereal Guide, as well as Most the Superiors books, and 2 and 4 of Revelations, I want some help.

The basic premise is this:

The rise of interest in pagan cultures and religions, rise of Wicca, and mythology etc has seen a slight surge in Ethereal power. The remnants of the old Pantheons are beginning to get more power.

Lilith both seeing an opportunity to greatly expand her own influence and because Serving in hell is really just a more liberating form of slavery then serving God was, is about to throw her lot in with the Ethereals. Pulling a great deal of conspiracy (not sure best methods here) shes going to crack the gates of hell, letting the Ethereals invade and steal damned souls into their own Ethereal courts and start tipping the balance, at the same time several key guards and support staff to some compatible infernal tethers, allowing the Gods to siphon power back to them with the death of their seneschals, and Lilith 'freeing' them.

Not sure, but was thinking about having it start with a new archeological find of a complete dragon skeleton only 4,000 years old, (manufactured of course). Giving evidence that not only did such a creature exist, but existed at the same era as humans.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I off my rocker?
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
alexondria

Default Re: Bold Plan of Freedom

I think it sounds like fun and would enjoy it as a player.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria View Post
I think it sounds like fun and would enjoy it as a player.
Seconded. You might want to PM ISNorden; her own campaign features a growing "Third Side" in the Marches and some of her ideas may be of interest to you.

The biggest challenge I see is that, canonically, Ethereal spirits can't reach the celestial plane. If that remains true, stealing souls is going to require some inside help. Of course, with Lilith involved, you've already got one of the biggest "insiders" as a player in this plot ... and an awful lot of celestials owe Lilith something.

Still, making it work would require something really creative and unexpected -- hey, wait a minute. Where the heck is Eli, anyway? ;)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
Drakyrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
The biggest challenge I see is that, canonically, Ethereal spirits can't reach the celestial plane. If that remains true, stealing souls is going to require some inside help. Of course, with Lilith involved, you've already got one of the biggest "insiders" as a player in this plot ... and an awful lot of celestials owe Lilith something.
I was actually thinking something along the lines of what Kronos (?) can supposedly do, with using his forces to cloak demons for infiltrating heaven. Only Lilith does it for Ethereals to get them access to the Celestial Realm.

As far as favors owed to Lilith, I was thinking for the most part she uses them to make sure key tether staff are waylaid, distracted or not present. Also uses the favors various angles and the Bright owe her to make sure the Host stays out of it or distracted until its too late.

Does anybody think Lilith wouldn't try this kind of maneuver?

Last edited by Drakyrias; 11-27-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Addon
Old 11-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
ladyarcana55

I see it as something Kobal would help with because it would be a HUGE prank in his eyes, and if the entire thing can be pinned on someone else, then why not?

My only question about the whole thing is this...

Why would the Ethereals trust Lilith? Knowing what she has done and what she can/will do, would they really want to take that chance? And I can't see Lilith settling for anything less than a major spot in the whole thing.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post

Why would the Ethereals trust Lilith? Knowing what she has done and what she can/will do, would they really want to take that chance? And I can't see Lilith settling for anything less than a major spot in the whole thing.
Because Lilith has a certain amount of honor. When she makes a deal, she keeps it. You just need to make sure you understand all the terms and prices before you shake hands. Of all the DPs, she's probably the only one an Ethereal could trust.

Then, too, there's the "family connection." Dream spirits are born of the imagination of humanity. However changed she is, Lilith is still human. In that sense, she's closer to them than any other Superior could ever be.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsofDivinity View Post
The basic premise is this:

The rise of interest in pagan cultures and religions, rise of Wicca, and mythology etc has seen a slight surge in Ethereal power. The remnants of the old Pantheons are beginning to get more power.

Lilith both seeing an opportunity to greatly expand her own influence and because Serving in hell is really just a more liberating form of slavery then serving God was, is about to throw her lot in with the Ethereals. Pulling a great deal of conspiracy (not sure best methods here) shes going to crack the gates of hell, letting the Ethereals invade and steal damned souls into their own Ethereal courts and start tipping the balance, at the same time several key guards and support staff to some compatible infernal tethers, allowing the Gods to siphon power back to them with the death of their seneschals, and Lilith 'freeing' them.

Not sure, but was thinking about having it start with a new archeological find of a complete dragon skeleton only 4,000 years old, (manufactured of course). Giving evidence that not only did such a creature exist, but existed at the same era as humans.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I off my rocker?
Dragons aren't a stretch at all
http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/dragons/

And you warm my pagan heart!
But the Ethereals wouldn't have to steal souls from Hell, really. It would be a simple matter of opening the prison gates and having the gods persuade them that Valhalla is so much more fun than being beaten and flayed by some redhorn.

And ironically none of this would violate the rules against interacting with the souls on Earth. Won't Dominic be in a tizzy?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
Drakyrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
Dragons aren't a stretch at all
http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/dragons/

And you warm my pagan heart!
But the Ethereals wouldn't have to steal souls from Hell, really. It would be a simple matter of opening the prison gates and having the gods persuade them that Valhalla is so much more fun than being beaten and flayed by some redhorn.

And ironically none of this would violate the rules against interacting with the souls on Earth. Won't Dominic be in a tizzy?

By steal I meant more from the demons whose job it is to keep them in the Principalities Asmodeus apportions them to. And none of those princes are going to be happy to lose all that essence and the forces those souls represent.

As I said, I have no Ethereal Guide, what rule about interacting with earth do you speak of though?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #9
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
My inner Kobal (aka GM's mindset) is cackling maniacally at this. >;-) Thanks for giving my morning a good start.
fwcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:11 AM   #10
Whitelaughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
The biggest challenge I see is that, canonically, Ethereal spirits can't reach the celestial plane. If that remains true, stealing souls is going to require some inside help.
Meh. Damned Souls respond to Sorcery, and there are dreamshade sorcerers.
Also, Ethereal spirits can reach the celestial plane, they just can't be there: Celestial Projection and Spirit Speech are the two obvious Songs to use.

But this is kids stuff. The serious way to do this is the Corporeal Song of Dreams:
- Damned Dream Soldiers release their hold on The Marches and are sucked into Hell. Here, they call for volunteers to be rescued, and CorpDreams out, anchoring themselves and their targets to the dreamscape they arrive in. Repeat.

If Lilith is playing, then use bridging stones etc to create temporary gateways into the Marches and simply herd the Damned through.

Something to bear in mind though, soulrustling must be a major industry in Hell (especially with Valefor around) so every Principality will be on prepared for attempts - and will take advantage of the chaos to steal more souls.
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ethereals, lilith