Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Fred Brackin

Default Stuff for Gurps IOU?

I have just proposed to runl a Gurps IOU campaign for my group as it's one of the few concept that could survive our chaotic schedule and attendence.

I need course names and all I have right now are Chem101:Explosions for Fun and Profit and MS147 Martian Sciences:Giant War Machines which a student will end up in after he thought he was headed for MS147, Medieval Studies Major Variants of the Bohemian Ear-Spoon. The Chem101 class would probably be one of the major focuses of the early game.

I need enough classes to make schedules for 3-4 players who are 1st semester Freshthings with only partial overlap. I know there are many example classes in the IOU book but they are a litlte too low key for me.

I also need _stuff_ and I mean _weird_ stuff. Stuff that happens just as they are walking on campus and substantial story elements. Emphasis on the really rather silly please. I'm not the sort to try any of that "Darkly Illuminated" style.

I've got a vending machine that sells Uzis as one thing that will probably turn up, perhaps when a player spends a use of Serendipity during an attack by something.

In fact, Serendipity would probably be a universal campaign advantage offset by a universal Weirdness Magnet.

One of the reasosn I've thought about this si that I don't need much in the way of planning or structure. I just need this steady stream of weird stuff.

So any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Stuff for Gurps IOU?

Composition 120: Vogon Poetry
Poli Sci110: Yes men and you.

Life Skills 001: Dorm life and Scrounging

Earth Sceine 121: Steam Tunnel Splunking.

Gadget based (Visor) Edicate Memory (Exam ban list)
Gadget based (Trenchcoat) Snatcher (You want it? I got it!)

Black and white Ops Penquins vs Arch Dean's Cats ... Cafeterea Menu 'Tuna Day'

Last edited by roguebfl; 12-01-2011 at 07:09 PM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
ClayDowling

Chemistry 221: Recreational Pharmacology
If you need this one explained you need to return your diploma.

Home Economics 240: Post-Bachanalia Gastronomy
Includes drunk cooking, food preparation for the seriously stoned, and hangover food.

Items/events to encounter in campus life:
Food fight: when dinner refuses to just lie there on your plate and take it.
Flooded hills: often encountered by students of Chemistry 221. The hill is flooded, the surround land is not. For serious chemistry students only.
Dorm Cat Swarms: Every dorm has several (unauthorized) cats. Somebody is just bound to make the mistake of adopting a lab rat as a pet. That's when the swarm hits. Alternately, see H.P. Lovecraft's story "The Cats of Ulthar" I went to a school with a 12 story dormitory, and I'm pretty sure that's where they'd launch from.
Planetarium Travel: when the moon is just right, the planetarium isn't just a light show, it's a means of extreme travel.
Dino Stampede: An unfortunate accident from one of the magical or scientific departments causes the permanent residents of the natural history museum to go on a rampage.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Life Skills 001: Dorm life and Scrounging
Life Skills 002: Living with your dorm roommate (without either of you dying)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Genesis

Bio431: Advanced Reanimation Seminar (Laboratory Enrollment Required)
Focus is on biological tissue revivification techniques. Previous bio-engineering coursework is HIGHLY recommended as this course will not take time to review basic concepts in mad surgery, surgical draftsmanship, or skeletal replacement.

Bio432L: Advanced Reanimation Lab, Humanoid Focus
Bio431 associated laboratory section, with focus on humanoid reanimation.

Bio433L: Advanced Reanimation Lab, Chimeric Focus
Bio431 associated laboratory section, with focus on chimeric organisms and so-called "monstrous" reanimations.

Bio434L: Advanced Reanimation Lab, Isolated Organs
Bio431 associated laboratory section, with focus on reanimation, care and feeding of isolated organs. Lab practical is required, and WILL be taken by your brain-in-a-jar!

Bio202L: Advanced Reanimation Lab Safety/Cleanup (Work-Study Credit Available)
Laboratory safety and post-experiment cleanup for Bio431 labs. Open to Freshthings. Form Bio400-GCS2a-7 Life Insurance MUST be on file with the main office!

CS262A: Sentient Programs and You - Learning to Love the Machine
Taught by FAdv-GRH582993 sub-node 28D, this course will review the essentials of servitude under the relentless gaze of your mechanical oppressors, including practical evaluations of utility as a cog in the overmind's vast army.

CS262B: Introduction to Machine War
A hands-on approach to anti-machine resistance, including techniques in combating enslaved biological adversaries. Examinations are practical, with one essay on "the ethics of lethal force in combat against brainwashed minions."

His121: History of the "Mad"
Survey of the so-called "genius/insanity border," with examples from Mad Science, Mad Philosophy, and Mad Pastries, among others. Four essays and two exams, ~100 pages of reading weekly.

Hiss121: Practical Handling of Vermiform Mutants
Emphasis on handling of non-sentient vermiform constructs, mutants, and aberrations. Acid/poison-resistant garments are highly recommend.

His140: History of Memetic Agents in Education
An overview of contagious memetic agents, as they have been used in educational technology. Focus is on agents transmitted through text and images, with pedagogical intent. Four essays (which may not contain contagious material), and one practical final in which students must design and field-test their own teaching aids.

Psych201: Second-Year IOU Psychology
Focus is on undoing the damage inflicted by Psych 101.

Psych240: Evaluation and Treatment of Contagious Memetics
This course will instruct students in the careful evaluation and treatment of victims of poorly-designed Persistent Psychological Effects, or PPEs (commonly referred to as "Memetics"). Case-studies and volunteers provided by the His department.

Psych 244: Informal Brainwashing
This course will explore subtle brainwashing techniques and their everyday use. Class will be casual, held in the student center. Course evaluation will be drawn from social media metrics.

Chem142: Organic Disposal
This course will teach practical methods of trace-less disposal for a variety of large organic waste items. Topics include lye, hydrofluoric acid, high-T furnaces, and fermentation.

Chem258: Scientifico-pharmacologic Glassblowing
Cross-listed under Fine Arts 258. This course will cover the practical considerations of glassware as it pertains to the delivery of vaporized pharmacologics to gas-exchange membranes. Joint practical final with Chem221.

Chem269: Pretty Colors
This course will cover the use of chemistry to make pretty colors, dude.

Chim269: Pretty Colors
This course will cover the use of camouflage by chimerics recovered during Bio475 (Hyrathian Jungle Specimen Retrieval). Focus will be on detection and capture of the organisms in question. Class floats, and will be held all over campus.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
johndallman
Night Watchman

Short courses recommended for all WUSE freshthings:

Errors 101: Recognising the limits of planning in experiments, and developing the art of discovery through creative mistakes.

Safety 101: Any experiment that leaves a crater is a success.

Design 101: Antigravity with string and sealing-wax: building experiments without a budget.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Short courses recommended for all WUSE freshthings:

Errors 101: Recognising the limits of planning in experiments, and developing the art of discovery through creative mistakes.
You need to check the HTTP Error codes, really:

Errors 404: Course not found
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
You need to check the HTTP Error codes, really:

Errors 404: Course not found
That's a fourth-year course.

(Oh, yes – while Errors 403 can be found, you're forbidden to take it.)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
His121: History of the "Mad"
Survey of the so-called "genius/insanity border," with examples from Mad Science, Mad Philosophy, and Mad Pastries, among others. Four essays and two exams, ~100 pages of reading weekly.

Hiss121: Practical Handling of Vermiform Mutants
Emphasis on handling of non-sentient vermiform constructs, mutants, and aberrations. Acid/poison-resistant garments are highly recommend.
....and 1st and 2nd prize for the first round go these entrants. This is the sort I want to encourage while I still want to thank everyone else who tried.

Fortunately I still have soem time becasue unfortuantely the game this weekend was cancelled rather than meeting for my proposed alternate rediuced attendence campaign.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
Dwarf99

FNORD 1023- All you need to know is that it is a course and IOU offers it. Until you take it you're not cleared for anything else within the FNORD class designation.

EDIT: This class was created using the system the University of Arkansas uses wherein the 4th number is the number of credit hours.

Last edited by Dwarf99; 12-03-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iou